Question to Christians: Do souls have a weight?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by TheTaoOfBill, Mar 25, 2012.

1. TheTaoOfBill

TheTaoOfBill Well-Known Member

Do souls weigh anything?

2. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

What do you mean by soul? The word soul is an English word and in translating the Bible into English, they have used that one word for the body as well as the spirit. So which of the two one are to referring to the body or the spirit?

3. TheTaoOfBill

Obviously I'm talking about spiritual.

4. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

Not to me because I am aware of the confusion that some people have and mistranslations. So I have to make sure that we are on the same page.

So here's my answer - Spirit is not physical and therefore does not have weight or size.

5. PARAMONOS

PARAMONOS New Member

Us Mormons don't believe in immaterial matter. So, yes, I would suppose that souls carry some kind of weight, however small or large that may be.

6. mikezila

mikezila New Member

yes, and a righteous one weighs less than a feather. sin weighs down a soul...like Big Macs. a moment on your lips, forever on your hips, Ethel.

7. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

What does a thought weigh?

Falena and (deleted member) like this.
  8. TheTaoOfBill

Thoughts are weightless bursts of energy that comes from the burning of calories. A soul is something that is supposed to be eternal though. If it is weightless like a thought then it must be an energy. And if it is an energy then it must have an energy source.

Falena and (deleted member) like this.
  9. TheTaoOfBill

has this theory been tested?

10. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I'm thinking a soul and a thought weigh the same. Just a guess, but sounds good to me. Energy source is God.

11. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

At the risk of being insulting, I have to say, this is a stupid thread. What are you fishing for? Have you found some scientific research that proves thoughts have weight?

12. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am not a Christian, but I believe the soul has no weight, soul by my definition is the spiritual part of who we are

13. TheTaoOfBill

Thoughts also have a channel of matter to control where that energy goes. What physical properties hold a soul together. It can't just be a plume of energy. Energy doesn't tend to stay together in one place without a physical property holding it there. It tends to push and expand and move.

14. TheTaoOfBill

Just asking questions. Making people think a bit.

15. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

To be clear, I mean to suggest that a 'soul' weighs as much as the thought that produced such a concept. Just my opinion...

16. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

I have heard of an experiment that was carried out. A person was weighed before death, and then again seconds after death, and the difference in weight was around 25 grams. So the soul may exist, and if it does, it has a weight.

17. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

If you compare a human being with a book and the spirit of this book with the information inside then you would need some energy to destroy the book - but what happens with the information in this book? Is a fire be able to destroy it? Is it lost forever? Someone could take a look in 2000 years through a time window and read a book what was written thousand years ago. He could reconstruct and burn the informations of the book on a CD. We would now know nothing about this book - and the people in the future would know everything about this book. And I don't think we are able to do anything - intentionally or not - to destroy this way.

Hmm - I would say not the information itselve has energy or a weight. I would say the transport of information needs some energy and the reconstruction needs some energy - also the understanding (integration) needs some energy. But the information itselve is perhaps nothing else than pure spirit without energy and/or weight.

http://youtu.be/cVZ79axiVWs

18. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

It does not necessarily mean it was the spiritÂ…..there is always physical explanation its just that they at that point in time what it is. Spirit is not physical and only physical things the law of gravity has effect on or else it would not be spirit.

19. TheTaoOfBill

If information is no longer stored on a physical thing it is stored in our thoughts. And if not stored there then it disappears for ever. It no longer exists.

Everything that exists must be either matter or energy.

20. TheTaoOfBill

Gravity affects everything. Even non physical things like light.

This brings up another question.

If a person died in a black hole could their soul escape? Not even light itself is fast enough to do so. If we consider a soul to be raw energy then it is VERY unlikely that it would be able to escape.

21. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

'Energy can can not be either 'created' or 'destroyed'. It can be 'transformed'..If a soul is energy, as some state, and energy can't be destroyed..then either it goes somewhere else or is transformed..Maybe souls come and go from another dimension (??)

22. Anobsitar

Anobsitar Banned

Everything what happens is also stored in this universe. I heard if someone throws a book into fire then a phycisist could still read the book somewhere else in the universe.

And the possibillity of your existance was existing a million years or a billion years ago. This possibility became real. Why? And what do you know about similiar possibilities in the next few billion years? Nearly nothing, isn't it?

From 4% of the known matter (excluding dark matter and dark energy) we are missing for example 90%. Also in this case our knowledge is not really good.

http://youtu.be/m1Y0YrZwd00

23. TheTaoOfBill

You're going to have to explain that one to me. How does that work? Once a book is burned most of the book's ingredients. The very molecules of the book are shifted to something else. They are oxidized and turned into something that's 100% impossible to ever bring back.

I really don't know what you're trying to say with any of this.

24. TheTaoOfBill

If this were the case it'd be something we could measure. We've never measured any sort of inter-dimensional particles around a person when they die.

25. ronmatt

ronmatt New Member

They've never measured them...with what?..Energy doesn't have weight, just mass..Besides, how could they measure inter-dimensional particles if we don't really know if there are other dimensions" Wouldn't having some way of measuring them 'prove' that there were indeed other dimensions?