Alberta Provincial Election

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Cubed, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

Any fellow Albertans on this board? I figured i should start a thread considering it was the reason I was searching for a political forum and found this place.

I personally can handle another PC term if it means the Wildrose stays away, unfortunately I fear they will get quite a few seats, sending our province far to the right once more.

2. Idiocracy

Idiocracy New Member

I watched the debate last night really sad stuff wild rose seems very interested in privatization and using vague terms to make the constituents think otherwise. PC is obviously corrupt and incapable of keeping a budget instead planing on "investing" for the future. The liberal party seems unrealistic and manipulative in their ambitions. I'm also worried by the integrity of the NDP but they are still a very small party.

3. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

not many people recall Smith's days with the Calgary Herald her opinion pieces stated she berated public healthcare pushed for privatized health care...she claims she doesn't adhere to that anymore but really but can we really believe she suddenly see it differently after only a few years?...what's intended by Wildrose and what's been done by the PC's is sabotage of public healthcare by neglect... deliberate under funding and mismanagement in an attempt to convince the public only private care can save healthcare...public health care will die the "Death by a thousand cuts" with Smith and the Wildrose, they'll degrade the system slowly over time so that it will be a creeping normalcy...

then there is Smith herself, her only experience as an elected official was in a school board, and she was fired for incompetence...now she thinks she's capable of running an entire province with a financial budget of $40 billion! you would think that she would at least should have some time in as a MLA...wildrose has only 4 MLA's and people believe they've the experience to run a government, really? ...on that basis I should apply to run the Bank of Canada, I'm certainly as qualified as Smith is to be premier.......

4. Idiocracy

Idiocracy New Member

My, my how unsurprising and honestly they'll probably succeed in destroying public health care further these people are like bush senior creating distrust in a system by making it fail. Mason will probably be voted in here and personally I'd rather avoid the liberals and their underhanded neo liberal policies. But yeah it's gonna be conservatives.

5. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

wildrose party-a political organization whose leader says it's okay to have racial supremacist beliefs or hold abhorrent religious beliefs because it representatives opinions are their own...that's a troubling policy for a potential governing party to have, how many times in history have we seen those personal beliefs surface later in public policy...is it acceptable to have racists, religious hate mongers, and bigots in government?

6. legojenn

legojenn New Member

7. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

it's a toss up, but it's better with the devil than the devil you don't....wildrose has been very clear they intend to destroy public healthcare the PC's are more subtle...

from your link-“The sooner Canadians realize that [health care] privatization is a must, the sooner we can move to the more crucial debate over how to refinance the system.”
    Danielle Smith, Wildrose Leader

then there was her comment that wildrose will not pay another dollar toward public healthcare but at the same time wildrose will pay for private healthcare with public dollars...

8. Cubed

Everything I read about her that is older then this election, scare's the crap out of me. I'd rather see the Pc's stay in, with a centrist Redford running the show, then a crazy person with no experience running the show.

I'll be voting Alberta Party in the hopes that we finally get a center-left party that isn't bogged down with the name 'Liberal' which basically mean's 'Satan' here in Alberta

9. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

I understand your attraction for the Alberta Party but I'd advise that unless the representative your voting for has good chance to win vote for any person who has the best chance to win other than wildrose. This is not something I would have ever done in the past but this time I'll bury my principles and vote PC for the first time ever and I'll persuade my family members to do likewise, anyone but wildrose. I'd rather the wildrose have a minority where their incompetence and abhorrent moral agenda can be exposed rather than have them in majority. In a minority with the NDP, Liberals or Alberta holding the control, giving Alberta a couple of years to gain some public notice.

10. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

I think you're being unfair to the liberals they've never been in office here and you're judging them by their federal counterparts. Vote for who your most comfortable with, preferably someone who has a chance of winning, anyone but wildrose.

11. Cubed

Yea, part of me is thinking of voting for the incumbent Liberal in my district. I'm gonna wait and see what the polling is like day of. The liberals in this province are actually pretty good, and Raj Sherman is an eloquent and intelligent person.

12. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

RaJ Sherman he's got my respect as well, to think of all the problems we've had with ER overcrowding here and the Conservatives had Raj Sherman an ER doctor in their party and they ignored his knowledge.

13. Cubed

They ignored him because he was right. Doctors were being intimidated into keeping quiet about wait time issues. They expelled him because he exposed the corruption.

14. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

my faith in my community has been restored...we don't tolerate intolerance, the wildrose party has been soundly b!tch slapped...

15. Cubed

Yea, i was on pins and needles for a bit there. Most of Southern Alberta went WR but the Cities and the North stayed PC. Its hilarious, my district and the one just above me are Liberal, so when you look at the color map, we are this little blood stain on a sea of blue.

16. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

a social disaster averted...religious intolerance(gay rights), racial bigotry and scientific idiocy (climate change denial) proved wildrose's undoing, extreme politics of the american right are not welcome here...

I'd like to see the progressives unite under the Alberta Party banner though there's little chance of that happening... as long as the extreme right keep to their own little fanatics club we can keep them out of government...

17. legojenn

legojenn New Member

Only in Alberta, could the rest of the country be relieved at the re-election of the Progressive Conservatives.

18. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

no where else in the country will you find extremists like the wr/tea-party...

19. snowboarder1019

snowboarder1019 New Member

Th wildrose would have been good for Alberta. The PC's only listen to urban Alberta (Edmonton / Calgary) rural ( Everything else) is left out. Like in my riding (Fort Mcmurray-wood buffalo) only 16 km of highway 63 has been twinned , we need more land , Long term care facility downtown . We contribute alot to this province and get little in return.

20. wyly

wyly Well-Known Member

twinning of the road is a bogus complaint, learning to drive is a cheaper solution...how much of the highways between Edmonton and Saskatoon or Calgary and Saskatoon are twinned? divided highways are safer without a doubt but the traffic flow doesn't justify it, and it takes decades to get it done even when there is cash to pay for it...

long term care facilities, every part of alberta has the same issues even the cities...the problem is the voters, albertans vote for conservative governments thinking they've the answer to every question but conservative governments don't like spending cash on social programs because voters insist on low taxes, see the problem with that?... you want social programs and highway improvement but vote for governments that promise lower taxes, how does that make sense? it's a direct contradiction...and you think WR is going to deliver long term care facilities when it has a leader who says she'll not put another dollar into public healthcare, and she has a plan for better healthcare by privatizing, how is that going to work with a finite number of MDs... it can't the wealthy will get quicker care and the rest of us will wait even longer for care...