Justice for victims of police shootings

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by Forum4PoliticsBot, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Forum4PoliticsBot

Forum4PoliticsBot New Member

at least they are trying to clean things up - even if it takes this long .... not only did they kill innocent people, they tried to cover it up as well.

Quote:
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: alt2"] [HR][/HR] Former policemen in Katrina bridge shootings jailed

Five former New Orleans police officers who shot six unarmed civilians, two fatally, in the wake of Hurricane Katrina have been jailed.

The prison terms range from six to 65 years for the shootings on the Danziger Bridge in September 2005.

Four of the officers were found guilty of firearms offences and the fifth was jailed for helping the cover-up. The officers planted a gun and fabricated witnesses and false reports to make the shootings appear justified.

Robert Faulcon, 48, received the longest sentence of 65 years; Kenneth Bowen, 38, and Robert Gisevius, 39, received 40 years each; and Anthony Villavaso, 35, was sentenced to 38 years in prison.

Retired Sgt Arthur Kaufman, 55, the officer who was assigned to investigate the shootings, received a six-year prison sentence for helping to co-ordinate the cover-up.

Packed courtroom

Hurricane Katrina battered New Orleans's poorly maintained levees on 29 August 2005, flooding most of the city and stranding thousands of people on rooftops.

In all, 1,833 people died, 80% of the city was flooded, and more than a million people were displaced.

US Assistant Attorney General for Civil Rights, Tom Perez: "Regrettably the acts of heroism of so many have been overshadowed by the misconduct of a few"
    The power, water and sewage systems were knocked out and people began looting shops and homes.

On 4 September 2005, Faulcon, Bowen, Gisevius and Villavaso were among a dozen officers who responded to a radio call that police were being fired upon near the bridge.

They opened fire with assault rifles and a shotgun at an unarmed family walking on the bridge and at a man fleeing the scene.

A New Orleans couple, their daughter, and their nephew, were wounded and a family friend, 17-year-old James Brissette, was killed.

Ronald Madison, 40, who had mental and physical disabilities, also died on the bridge. He was shot in the back with a shotgun as he ran away.

In reports filed by the officers or on their behalf, they claimed they had opened fire only after being threatened and that they had seen weapons in the victims' hands.

It took five years to establish what happened on the bridge.

Mr Madison's brother, Romell, told the BBC's World Today programme the prison sentences had helped the family come to terms with what happened.

"I would say 75% closure. There's always the thought of them getting off on appeal, you know... we will feel closure when they've exhausted all their appeal rights and the sentence stands," he said.

Kaufman is the only officer who was not already imprisoned when the sentences were handed down. He is due to report to prison on 23 May, the Times Picayune newspaper reports.

The courtroom was packed with relatives and friends of the victims and policemen.

The case was part of a wider effort from the Department of Justice to clean up the New Orleans Police Department. [HR][/HR] [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17616965

Thread started at Forum 4 Politics on 04-06-2012 11:11 PM

2. Tahuyaman

Tahuyaman Well-Known Member

Police officer shoot white people quite often. I've never had an urge to go steal a TV and stereo from Best Buy when that happens.

3. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

I wonder what our presidential community organizer will tell them? "Good job people. Because if I had a son I would teach him to burn down stores and loot stuff too."

4. Just A Man

Just A Man Well-Known Member

Good post. We need more people speaking up. :clapping:

5. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

It seems anything that happens in the Black community is a license to loot.

6. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Welllllll . . . to be fair you can't hate your own nation and possess cultural standards that translate into meaningful middle class value systems. On the other hand . . . no doubt they are making the leftwinger's president very proud. Someone should buttonhole him on the golf course sometime and ask him.

7. highntight

highntight Banned

I’ve seen a lot of whit collar white people doing similar things when their team wins the super bowl. No demographic has the right to claim to be of righteous so get real

8. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Of course righties have no comment on the actually topic...any excuse to attack the black community.

9. Tram Law

Tram Law Banned

Any excuse by liberals to label conservatives.

10. Dollface

Dollface New Member

What does Obama have to do with this????? Are you that deranged with the man??? So you have pictures all over your wall?? Sorry but you sound very very obsessed with the man>>

11. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

Which bridge?

I lived in the west bank of NO during this. The bridge to my area was on camera the whole time. What bridge and when?

12. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

It's essentially the results of what is undoubtedly the biggest collective brain fart in history.

Take it for what it is.

13. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You notice those that get hurt or killed, it starts by them fighting with police?

14. After Hours

Well, I don't condone rioting or looting in any way shape or form, but let's not pretend that white people don't riot. We've seen examples of this such as white Canadians rioting after their hockey team lost. Rioting is just something scumbags of all races do.

15. Marine1

They didn't have it in Japan

16. After Hours

Right wingers have taken a short break from bashing those EVIL brown people from Central America for now, but make no mistake, when this story dies down, "Hispanics" will take the brunt of the right wing vitriol again.

17. Marine1

Do you think we don't have a right to complain about what they're doing? Do you think we do it just because of their color?

18. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

There have been riots in Japan. Try the google.

19. After Hours

I think conservative pundits, especially on FOX, whip up a frenzy among their easily manipulated low information constituency over anything involving some "non white minority". Whether it be "new black panthers", or "illegal aliens", or "Islam", there's always some minority boogeymen out there causing ruckus that REAL Americans need to be worrying about.

But meh, maybe it's all in my head, eh?

20. Marine1

Gee why should Fox bring up Muslims? Couldn't be because we have been fighting two wars with them for 10 years could it? I guess they could ignore millions of illegal aliens coming into this country, as it seems MSNBC seems to think that's natural. Were they so wrong in pointing out Black Panthers in front of polling places carrying clubs? I guess you see nothing wrong with that either. It's not as much as color as it is right and wrong. The Left only see color, not the right and wrong in things

21. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

That's interesting I've never heard of that please post some links to whites looting.

22. After Hours

If that's what you want to tell yourself, go right head. FOX knows their base very well, after all.

23. Marine1

[The trouble with the Left is all you can see is color and race. That's all you people talk about. Complain of millions of low educated illegals coming into this country and all you people can see is our hate for Brown people. Do you think Canada would get upset if 12 million low educated Americans invaded Canada and demanded citizenship, even if they were all White?

We complain about Obama's policies and it's only because we hate Blacks. You people can't get past the color of one's skin. Try once and look at the right and wrong in what we're complaining about.

24. Marine1

You only have to look on these boards to see how the Left loves to use race. I have seen threads on Whites will soon be the minority in schools. Whites will be the minority in the U.S. I have see at least 20 post of calling the Right racist and we hate people of Brown skin because they want to flood into this country and we complain. I'd be willing to bet I could listen to MSNBC and they would bring up race 25-30 times in one day. It's always race with you people and you want to blame Fox of doing it?

25. Marine1

Do you know MSNBC did this? They cut ever one of their speeches out.

One of the left’s favorite attacks on the Republican Party is that it is the party of old white people, devoid of diversity and probably racist.

If you were watching MSNBC’s coverage of the Republican National Convention in Tampa on Tuesday night, you might believe those assertions, since missing from the coverage was nearly every ethnic minority that spoke during Tuesday’s festivities.
    In lieu of airing speeches from former Democratic Rep. Artur Davis, a black American; Mia Love, a black candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives from Utah; and Texas senatorial hopeful Ted Cruz, a Latino American, MSNBC opted to show commentary anchored by Rachel Maddow from Rev. Al Sharpton, Ed Schultz, Chris Matthews, Chris Hayes and Steve Schmidt.

Throughout this convention, Matthews has accused the Republicans of playing dog-whistle racist politics while on scene in Tampa. It isn’t clear, however, if Matthews will hurl accusations of racism at Davis, Love or Cruz for speeches his network failed to broadcast.
    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/28/m...ing-every-speech-by-a-minority/#ixzz32vcglZZL