+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOPA reemerges as CISPA

1. Default

I hate inform all you internet libertarians. But the internet isn't going to be a completely uncontrolled anarchy forever. It is growing dangerous to both Governments and Private financial institutions. At some point the potential for harm from internet will be so great, that there will be no choice but to regulate it at some point.

Freedom that exists in a vacuum isn't freedom, it's anarchy.
    Last edited by SiliconMagician; Apr 25 2012 at 02:45 AM.

2. Stand Taller and Look Better with the LUMOback Posture and Activity Coach. <LINK> Learn More Here! </LINK>

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconMagician View Post
    I hate inform all you internet libertarians. But the internet isn't going to be a completely uncontrolled anarchy forever. It is growing dangerous to both Governments and Private financial institutions. At some point the potential for harm from internet will be so great, that there will be no choice but to regulate it at some point.

Freedom that exists in a vacuum isn't freedom, it's anarchy.
    Ask yourself what it is the govt wishes to police. Intellectual property rights are already under a form of regulation as a result of current laws. Is it necessary to change and improve such laws and does the current bill represent the necessary change without curtailing existing rights? I haven't seen the text of the bill yet but any bill containing ambiguous language does jeopardize the rights of the innocent. We have every reason to be concerned.
    “If you saw Atlas, the giant who holds the world on his shoulders, if you saw that he stood, blood running down his chest, his knees buckling, his arms trembling but still trying to hold the world aloft with the last of his strength, and the greater his effort the heavier the world bore down upon his shoulders - What would you tell him to do?"

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Object227 View Post
    Ask yourself what it is the govt wishes to police. Intellectual property rights are already under a form of regulation as a result of current laws. Is it necessary to change and improve such laws and does the current bill represent the necessary change without curtailing existing rights? I haven't seen the text of the bill yet but any bill containing ambiguous language does jeopardize the rights of the innocent. We have every reason to be concerned.
    The problem is the internet is full of millions of people who think that intellectual property isn't real, that private networks are open game for digital exploration and therefore they have a human right to steal without paying the creators of the property, or to digitally trespass where they aren't authorized to be and they have a huge interest in allowing the theft to continue.

What happens when the only solution to the problem is the curtailing of rights? What if there is no 'easy' solution?

Just because something is "virtual" doesn't mean it isn't real and that it can't be owned.
    Last edited by SiliconMagician; Apr 25 2012 at 04:19 AM.

[QUOTE=SiliconMagician;10611532 34]I hate inform all you internet libertarians. But the internet isn't going to be a completely uncontrolled anarchy forever. It is growing dangerous to both Governments and Private financial institutions. At some point the potential for harm from internet will be so great, that there will be no choice but to regulate it at some point.

Freedom that exists in a vacuum isn't freedom, it's anarchy.[/QUOTE]

Anarchy is freedom. Native Americans lived in a state of tribalism akin to the "anarchy" that people espouse for thousands of years and were highly thoughtful, industrious, and respectful. I don't buy this whole we have to curb freedom for the sake of order.

If there were no laws I would still not rob my neighbor, still not shoot up heroin, still not smack people around. Laws don't prevent anyone from doing anything. They just punish you after. In my line of work we see repeat offenders, so I can tell you that punishing doesn't work, either. Values stop you from doing wrong. Love stops you from doing wrong. Laws don't stop you from speeding, do they?

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12