Using PF with mobile devices and ereaders - and other ways

Discussion in 'Announcements & Community Discussions' started by PoliticalForum, Apr 12, 2012.

1. PoliticalForum

PoliticalForum Administrator Staff Member

Alternate ways to access PF.

Suggested for newer mobile devices:

1. You can use the Forum Runner app for Android or iOS. There is a free version that lets you read but not post. The paid version has more options. Search for "forumrunner" in the app store(s). Note: OUR forum is titled "Political Forum .com"; some other forums might call themselves Political Forum or similar. After installing the app, search for "politicalforum". More information on their official site at http://www.forumrunner.com/

2. You can use the TapaTalk app for Android, iOS, or Blackberry. Tapatalk is the number one paid social app on iOS and also very popular for Android! Search for "tapatalk" in the app store(s). After installing the app, search for "politicalforum". Note: OUR forum is titled "Political Forum .com"; some other forums might call themselves Political Forum or similar. More information on their official site at http://www.tapatalk.com/

Both apps are kept updated by their developers.

If you're on a bigger device such as an iPad, then may want to simply use the Full Version of PF.

Suggested for older mobile devices:

These suggestions are for devices that can't use the apps above, or if you just need a quicker free method.

1. Go to m.politicalforum.com (instead of www.politicalforum.com or politicalforum.com) and you'll be directed to the "mobile version" of PF. This is a lite "mobile skin" that only shows the basics. Once you're in the mobile skin, you can still 'break out' of it by clicking the "Full Site" link near the bottom.

2. The first way is much easier. But you can also manually choose the mobile skin: In the bottom left corner of a PF page, use the drop-down box and select the "Default Mobile Style" line. You can also choose this skin in your Settings > General Settings. You may want to use your computer to select the Mobile Skin for your account before you get on your device.

Recommended for Kindle, Nook, and other eReaders:

1. For reading only, you can use the RSS feeds. There is one feed for each forum here, i.e. one for the Latest World News, one for Religion, one etc. Readers can detect the feed if you paste in a forum URL. For manual entry, on our main page which lists all the forums, there are small orange buttons that link to the feeds. You can also use the RSS feeds on better devices, but the above apps are probably better. For iOS, one common feed reader is Feeddler RSS Reader ("Feeddler" is not a typo).

Other:

1. TapaTalk makes a Notifier plugin for the Google Chrome browser that notifies you of PMs. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/plfhcjljnfjpfcbjpgnflfofmahljkjj

2. Some helpful built-in vBulletin features: If you subscribe to threads, you can read some of the content in your email interface. You can also get email notifications of PMs.

Let us know if you have anything to add.

2. hiimjered

hiimjered Well-Known Member Past Donor

I LOVE the Tapatalk integration. It is a much easier way to read and post from my phone than just using the web interface.

Thank-you for setting it up!

3. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Using my tablet. If I switch to the mobile skin I lose the formating, insert picture, insert link, quote bracketing,ect. Even in the advance mode.

I have been using Dalphin in full browser mode. The only problem I have is with the text selection brackets. They like to jump around and it is hard to select text to quote. I also don't have a spell checker when I use with the mobile docking station. When just the tablet alone I use the Thumbs Keyboard and it has great spell check and word predition.

4. Bluesguy

I tried TapaTalk but found I lost a lot of features and editing the full website has.

5. PoliticalForum

PoliticalForum Administrator Staff Member

Got m.politicalforum.com working again! Reformatted my post above and added a bunch of info.

6. Bluesguy

I will update and do now use TapaTalk sometimes on my tablet. The only draw back I have found for using it as a simple way to reply to my subscribed threads is that if I need to go back a few post and copy something for reference I can find a way to open another message or search or brows the thread while replying to another message. I have found the webbased replying has gotten easier on the tablet and using the thumbs keyboard and some of the macros and custom assign keys gives me what I need to be able to reply more easily than before.