Any tea lovers?

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by Jazzerman, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Jazzerman

Jazzerman New Member

I haven't seen any threads about this yet, but I'm curious to know how many tea lovers we have on this forum. What kinds of tea do you like? What region of the world do you like your tea to come from? Do you prefer hot or cold? Bagged or loose leaf? Etc.?

I'm pretty picky about what I personally consider a good tea. I have a few personal favorites...Irish Breakfast, Yorkshire Harrogate, Earl Grey, Earl Grey Cream. I prefer strong British Black teas usually grown in Sri Lanka or India. I prefer them to be piping hot with milk, but no sugar (I hate sweetened tea); I don't mind cold tea, but I still have to add milk to it. As far as being bagged or loose...I would usually prefer loose leaf, but if it's a good quality bagged tea then I don't really care.

I'm interested to hear what everyone prefers, as there are so many teas, different methods of brewing, and different methods of flavoring them.

2. AshenLady

AshenLady New Member Past Donor

I love tea of all kinds...actually I am making myself a plain cup of Tetley as I type this.

I like exotic teas, domestic, you name it, I like it. Not that I am a tea totaler by any means. LOL

I usually use bags of tea, although we do have a tea ball for loose tea, should we want to have some.

Things with food and even salt goes in and out of style.

I like tea with sugar and lemon. I like coffee with cream and sweetener. Swee Touch Nee was a tea that my grandmother enjoyed a lot!!!

3. marleyfin

marleyfin Well-Known Member Past Donor

For most mornings I have tetley black british with coconut milk or cream, I am also a fan of Celestial's Morning Thunder. You can definitely buy better tea un-bagged but convenience in the morning wins out for me.

I could list probably 20 different kinds of herbal or flavored teas currently in my pantry but I rarely drink anything but the tetley.

4. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

The only tea I drink is iced tea that I make during the hot summer - I steep it for 2 days to have some flavor, then sweeten it w/honey......

The other is Kombucha tea that I buy at the health store - very healthy and it goes back to practically the beginning of time, from what I read about it......

Rather potent stuff......

5. CanadianEye

CanadianEye Well-Known Member Past Donor

My daughter made me a nice cup of peppermint tea the other day. I'm usually a coffee guy, but it was pretty good.

6. Hummingbird

Peppermint tea does sound good. I like anything peppermint, so will get some....

Hey, dude, get yourself some Kombucha tea.... let me know what you think of it. It comes in different flavors and has a kick to it.....

One day last summer I was visiting w/friends outside and needed something to drink. Went in the house and got a Kombucha tea. On the way outside, I loosened the top a little w/a few shakes. Set the tea on the table and the tea blew the lid off and tea all over the table......

The look on the 3 friends faces was priceless and they shouted "That's TEA? What kind of TEA are you drinking?!" It was funny.....lol.....

I like coffee, but only 2 cups in the am to wake up and that's it........

7. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Loose tea is best, and most likely a better bargain.
    We have basically gone around the world, trying whatever sounds great and is available from whatever region and country.
    Upton tea offers samples, and its a great way to try different teas.
    It depends on type of tea and bouquet, usually unsweetened, sometimes honey or raw sugar.

8. KSigMason

KSigMason Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I do love me a cup of tea.

9. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

I like normal tea. Doesn't matter what brand, as long as its in a tea bag. Hate the loose tea leaves, they sit in the bottom of the cup!

VietVet likes this.
  10. Shangrila

11. CanadianEye

CanadianEye Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'll give it a try Hummer. I looked it up, and it is supposed to have some great health properties attached to it, when you make it yourself.

12. Cigar

Cigar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Not unless I can roll it and Smoke it! :)

13. Hummingbird

Get lost.........

14. Cigar

Cigar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Get Some!

15. Hummingbird

Yeah, I read about making it from scratch.... then went to the health store and bought it.... let me know how it tastes.

16. jmpet

jmpet New Member

I don't drink tea. But my son does and prefers Earl Grey hot with local honey. Bought a bag of coca leaves from South America a year or so ago online- you make tea out of it. You end up with a cocaine kick!

17. Shangrila

Have you ever tried Mate?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

Took me a while to acquire a taste, but its actually good.

18. Up On the Governor

Up On the Governor Well-Known Member

Where do you get loose leaf tea? My husband brought home some $54 tea and that is (*)(*)(*)(*)ing ridiculous. Other than Teavana, where can I find that stuff?

19. Shangrila

When did you get married? Congrats. Missed it all.

Good prices and outstanding customer service.

http://uptontea.com/shopcart/home.asp

20. Up On the Governor

Up On the Governor Well-Known Member

21. Leo2

Leo2 Well-Known Member

Grew up with tea, and still enjoy a regular cuppa. But my mum is the tea tragic in my family. Everything has to be just so in the preparation - the pot has to be heated before the tea leaves and hot water go in - and she will pick it if that has not been done.

I am given to believe (by her) that Twinings have the best commonly available blends. One of my favourites is Russian Caravan, but I generally stick with English Breakfast. My mum loves Earl Grey, but I don't like those poofy scented teas - ditto with herb teas, although I can drink Green Tea.

Funny thing happened when I was visiting the US. My hostess in California was a Canadian/American who was a great tea drinker. But she only had the tea pot she brought with her, and it broke. So I went to buy her a new one as a present. We scoured the shops of San Francisco and not one of them had a teapot for sale. We looked through all the fine china shops and was not able to find one. Is this not odd? Like you can't make a decent cup of tea without a teapot and loose leaf tea. What do Americans do?

And when Mrs W ordered tea in a cafe, she had to stipulate hot tea with milk (and most places did not have milk, only that God-awful whitener stuff which is vile in tea.)

And to Up the Governor; we buy loose leaf tea at any grocer. And to Makedde, get a decent teapot (which will have coarse filter in the spout) and a nice silver tea strainer, and you will have no tea leaves in your cup. :)

22. marleyfin

whole foods, I have also bought online from teaguys.com

23. marleyfin

I hate green tea.

I do not own a tea pot currently and I haven't had an infuser in years a regular pot works just as well with a tea ball, but to be honest most mornings my tea and water gets nuked. I am very lazy in the morning.

24. Hummingbird

Any good grocery store? Health store?

25. Jazzerman

Jazzerman New Member

Yikes...$54...did he buy a tea brick? I get most of my loose leaf tea from our local tea shop, Chelmsford Tea. We also have another local place that sells loose leaf called The Spice Merchant, but I don't buy from them. If you anywhere near a descent sized city just do a quick google search of your area and you might find a local merchant that sells it. Chelmsford tea also sells online and is about as authentic as you can get. Here is their website:

http://www.chelmsfordtea.com/