+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swedish Health Care

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    America.

Ignored By 911, Woman Dies In Hospital

A woman who lay bleeding on the emergency room floor of a troubled inner-city hospital died after 911 dispatchers refused to contact paramedics or an ambulance to take her to another facility, newly released tapes of the emergency calls reveal.

Edith Isabel Rodriguez, 43, died of a perforated bowel on May 9 at Martin Luther King Jr.-Harbor Hospital. Her death was ruled accidental by the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-2923545.html
    Yes, i was going to ask the same.

If someone dies in the usa. Is that a judgement to the entire american health service or just a unfourante event.
    When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think the sardines will be thrown into the sea.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHeadKen View Post
    What does the OP have to do with extreme nationalism or aggressive foreign policy?
    I was primarily replying to you actually and I think the attitude of focusing exclusively on "our healthcare is better than yours" is pretty nationalistic, especially when it's done on the basis of over-simplified "arguments" and extreme cases.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
    Yes, i was going to ask the same.

If someone dies in the usa. Is that a judgement to the entire american health service or just a unfourante event.
    I agree here's a paraphrasing: In Sweden, healthcare is so good that a single case of arguably understandable malpractice makes national news.

Of course, that's not really the entire truth either, news like to blow up personal stories and I'm sure any country has problems like this (or the inverse one, that the person just stays at home not expecting an ambulance).
    "Remember that other people may be totally wrong. But they don't think so. Don't condemn them. Any fool can do that. Try to understand them. Only wise, tolerant, exceptional people even try to do that." - Dale Carnegie

I would always try to compare a country of less than 10,000,000 people with one with over 350,000,000 in every imaginable category. In my opinion, the only thing such a comparison would do is demnstrate the logic of limiting the U.S. Federal government and putting more power in the hands of the states and even cities.

5. Default

I would never entertain such a parochial argument since the resources are simply scaled up pro rata. In fact, there should be economies of scale in such a move. If Britain, for example can provide a universal health service on 5% admin cost, why is it three times that in the USA to administer a "system" which does not reach 40M citizens?
    Last edited by Colonel K; Apr 20 2012 at 06:45 AM.
    Hello! I'm from Europe, the place where history comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel K View Post
    I would never entertain such a parochial argument since the resources are simply scaled up pro rata. In fact, there should be economies of scale in such a move. If Britain, for example can provide a universal health service on 5% admin cost, why is it three times that in the USA to administer a "system" which does not reach 40M citizens?
    And Britain is a goal that only a Democrat would pursue. Meeting time limits on serivce in emergency rooms by locking the doors and requiring sick and injured to wiat in the parking lot or in ambualnces until they've caught up is a goal that only a liberal would like.

The economy of scale yields to the corruption of scale. I would never entertain such a illogical argument as resources are simply scaled up. It shows an amazing faith and an even more incredible gullibilty. You seem to have faith in government and in the numbers they claim.
    Last edited by PatrickT; Apr 20 2012 at 09:20 AM.

7. Default

Yet history shows that the opposite is true. As programs and policies are created at higher and higher levels of government to encompass more people, the total program costs increase - at a rate faster than the increase of the number of people covered.
    TANSTAAFL

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post
    And Britain is a goal that only a Democrat would pursue. Meeting time limits on serivce in emergency rooms by locking the doors and requiring sick and injured to wiat in the parking lot or in ambualnces until they've caught up is a goal that only a liberal would like.

The economy of scale yields to the corruption of scale. I would never entertain such a illogical argument as resources are simply scaled up. It shows an amazing faith and an even more incredible gullibilty. You seem to have faith in government and in the numbers they claim.
    You seem very informed with british health care.

In what part of the uk were brits 'locked outside of ER rooms and in parking lots'
    Last edited by GeneralZod; Apr 20 2012 at 01:17 PM.
    When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think the sardines will be thrown into the sea.

9. Default

Why do you believe the health care industry lends itself well to economies of scale? The USA has about 40 times the landmass of the UK and over 5 times the population. The population density in the UK is about 8 times that of the US. Hospitals and other healthcare infrastructure have big fixed costs. You may be correct regarding economies of scale, but I don't think it's quite the "no-brainer" that you've made it out to be.
    There's a saying that goes, 'People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.'
    OK. How about, 'Nobody should throw stones'? That's crappy behavior.
    My policy is, 'No stone throwing regardless of housing situation.'
    -Demetri Martin

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickT View Post

I have real experience of the benefits, you know only what the yellow press have fed you.
    Hello! I'm from Europe, the place where history comes from.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast