Clever Innovation on Wind Turbine: 1000 ft. Up, on a Blimp

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Grokmaster, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

A company formed by MIT and other smart folks, has developed a power source for remote, off the grid locations, such as remote villages, military installations, really large family reunions, etc. :

Look, up in the sky! It's a bird… it's a plane… it's a… wind turbine?

Altaeros Energies, a Massachusetts-based company formed by MIT and Harvard grads, has aimed high — literally — in its quest to deliver power to remote, off-the-grid locations, creating a blimp that harnesses the power of the wind at 1,000 feet up.

The prototype, seen in this video, is a large helium-filled shell that looks almost like a jet engine (or, as we suspect more than a few people thought when it was tested in Maine earlier this year, a UFO). Attached to a trailer on the ground, it automatically deploys itself 1,000 feet in the air (350 feet for its inaugural test flight) where a fan at its center is turned by the wind. At this altitude, the wind is not only stronger than at ground level, but also much steadier, resulting in twice the energy production of a traditional, pole-mounted turbine.

The electricity generated by the turbine is sent down to the trailer via the tether cables, where it can be used to power remote villages, military outposts, or anywhere that would normally have to depend on polluting diesel generators. When it's not in use, it can be automatically reeled in.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technol...aims-replace-diesel-generators-220648427.html

Well, I'm not a big fan ( no pun intended) of trying to replace major grid energy sources with windmills, but these people have dealt with the number one problem windmills have on the ground: INCONSISTENT WIND.

The windflow at 1000 ft. is NEARLY CONSTANT; they also recognize the LIMITS of the technology as it currently exists, targeting SMALLER USE clients.

I probably won't buy one for our canoeing and camping trips, but I commend their good common sense,and American ingenuity.

Why didn't Obama give THESE FOLKS SOLYNDRA'S MONEY?; oh yeah, it doesn't look like they NEED government help...

Looking for a "pissedoff answer", from Caterpillar, whose deisel gensets power much of the world, reliably,and quite cleanly, actually, as most burn NATURAL GAS, not deisel fuel...

2. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

So because it can be used at smaller scale makes larger scale inconceivable?

3. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

in one word yes. Unless of course you are not the one paying the electrical bill in your home and don't mind paying 3 times the amount you currently do. According to this article they are developing a offshore larger version but unless that can cut the cost dramatically I don't expect much of a line to buy them. Up keep and maintenance on them would be a bear in and of itself. Do a search on abandoned wind turbines and you will see what I mean.

A couple of times a month I do volunteer work for a organization that builds water purification systems they donate to villages in third world countries. They supply 2 sources of power for the pumps, 1 a small diesel generator they other a solar panel. Solar and wind are have proved to be fine for small scale application, but to power a large grid they still are neither cost effective or reliable.

4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Instead of tilting at windmills, we should be building nuclear power plants.

_

5. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

I'll bet this blimp will be good for at least $643,000,000 from the Obama administration...providing an adequate kickback to the reelect what's-his-name committee is there.

6. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Corruption is a given with this administration.

_

7. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Have you for any idea of how expensive the current nuclear power plants are?

Thi si why everyone is waiting for the coming of the Gen 4 and 5 power plants

8. dujac

dujac Well-Known Member

what happens when a gale comes along?

Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 8.58.04 AM.jpg

9. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

Really? I thought we were waiting for the Supreme Leader to unveil the perpetual motion machine he's been building?

10. Grokmaster

Actually...yes, at this point. A wind turbine, even one such as the "blimp turbine" cannot produce enough current to be conducted any reasonable distance, much less to power a large use client.

They would have to be the size of water turbines in hydroelectric plants, which would require TORNADO velocity winds to turn them, as AIR hasn't the MASS DENSITY of water....

11. Grokmaster

For conventional applications, such as CITIES, I would agree. The blimp turbine innovators are targeting clients OFF-THE-GRID, who are currently using internal combustion deisel generators, for the most part.

For limited scope applications, it's pretty cool, IMO.

I'd love to have one at the Boy Scout Spring Jamboree, just to have the bragging rights...while powering the WHOLE PLACE with my new toy...

12. Grokmaster

Everyone gets MORE POWER !!!! :giggle:

I think that's one of the "easily reeled in" applications...

13. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

"TORNADO velocity winds"??? That is not required AT ALL!.

Here is the currently largest wind turbine in the world. The blades tip to tip are over 400 feet long! It generates over 7MW.

It generates very well in UNDER 10 MPH wind speeds, and reaches maximum rated capacity at about 22 MPH wind speeds.