+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: Is it a crime to amass a lot of riches?

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    One wouldn't expect equality with 'equality of opportunity'. We would expect, for example, stupidity to kick in and therefore the likes of 'capital hoarding'.
    So, in the end you respect choice as long as people choose to do what you approve of.
    TANSTAAFL


  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiimjered View Post
    So, in the end you respect choice as long as people choose to do what you approve of.
    This is a random reply. I don't approve of stupidity, but I respect the person's decision to indulge in it. In contrast, the right wingers on here have been demanding restricted choice. Authoritarianism for you!
    And the ship we sail, and the flag she flies; It is the Herald of Free Enterprise

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    This is a random reply. I don't approve of stupidity, but I respect the person's decision to indulge in it. In contrast, the right wingers on here have been demanding restricted choice. Authoritarianism for you!
    Well now, I for one would like an example of this so called right wing mantra to limit choice.

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by constructionguy View Post
    Well now, I for one would like an example of this so called right wing mantra to limit choice.
    We've already seen an example, where the negative effects of inequality of opportunity for choice are ignored.
    And the ship we sail, and the flag she flies; It is the Herald of Free Enterprise

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
    We've already seen an example, where the negative effects of inequality of opportunity for choice are ignored.
    Maybe I should have explained myself better, but seeing as your an educated man, I assumed the need wasn't there.

    Ok then, a specific example is needed instead of theoretic B.S.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by constructionguy View Post
    Maybe I should have explained myself better, but seeing as your an educated man, I assumed the need wasn't there.

    Ok then, a specific example is needed instead of theoretic B.S.
    Inequality of opportunity is theoretic BS? (Note, for example, the lack of social mobility and the well documented underclass). Sorry, you're wasting my time.
    And the ship we sail, and the flag she flies; It is the Herald of Free Enterprise

  7. #57

    Default

    People should read up on Nozick and Libertarianism. Interesting pieces on wealth and estate which would also keep untainted individual liberty not some fake notion of "social justice".
    Coincidences turn into Conspiracies when all inconvenient information is ignored.

    Traveling Templar - 13APR2014

  8. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KSigMason View Post
    Interesting pieces on wealth and estate which would also keep untainted individual liberty not some fake notion of "social justice".
    You should read up on the empirical evidence that links social justice with entrepreneurship. Some practical knowledge over egalitarianism would be handy!
    And the ship we sail, and the flag she flies; It is the Herald of Free Enterprise

  9. Default

    "Greed..Greed..greed"

    All this whining and crying and belly aching and heart bleeding. As if society has ever been any different. As if at one time man somehow was in a state of perfection and all we have to do is force some mythical "elite" to give up what they have to the commune and everyone can be happy. What BS.

    I'm probabl one of the poorest mfers on this forum and I'm happier than most of the people here becuase I'm not wrapped up in this game. I'm an individual who provides for his own individual needs and lives within his means and I don't need anything from anyone. I don't expect a rich man to give up a dime other than the bare minimum necessary to sustain a basic infrastructure and the means to defend that infrastructure from hostile forces.

    Why shouldn't those who come up with the big ideas, the new technologies that improve our basic lives not be rewarded with huge sums of money for their ideas? Are those sums of money not given voluntarily? Why do fools expect to pay X amount of dollars for a product and then expect the Government to forcefully take a percentage of that amount and redistribute it back to the population?

    If you don't want the rich to have anymore money don't (*)(*)(*)(*)ing buy their (*)(*)(*)(*). Live a spartan life of minimalism.

    If you give your money to rich man in exchange for a product, you've received your reward. The product in your hand is the reward. You have no right to expect anything else. If don't want the rich man to get richer, don't buy a (*)(*)(*)(*)ing product you never really needed.

    The frigging poor ass naked native in Africa is probably happier than most of America's middle class.

    When I see the Chinese, the Africans, hell even the Muslims in the middle east I see societies to admire. Tough societies. Societies inured to hardship. Who expect to see it and welcome it as a normal part of the cycle of life. Dog eat dog.

    Whiners all. Make me sick. Weak and pathetic. All of Western Civilization deserves to fall into apocalyptics waste, because the people who live in that society are decadent, fat and weakened to the point they no longer deserve the high quality of life that they have.
    Last edited by SiliconMagician; May 01 2012 at 12:04 AM.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconMagician View Post

    I'm probabl one of the poorest mfers on this forum and I'm happier than most of the people here becuase I'm not wrapped up in this game.

    What a gross assumption.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconMagician View Post
    Why shouldn't those who come up with the big ideas, the new technologies that improve our basic lives not be rewarded with huge sums of money for their ideas? Are those sums of money not given voluntarily? Why do fools expect to pay X amount of dollars for a product and then expect the Government to forcefully take a percentage of that amount and redistribute it back to the population?
    Technologies are completely different to the games people play with "financial products." How many money men have been rewarded for absolute failures? That's what people are pissed off about... and rightly so. Apple deserves its rewards... these guys do not - "The CEOs of 10 Wall Street firms that either failed or received taxpayer bailouts were paid an average of $28.9 million per year in the years leading up to the Wall Street meltdown, according to a Public Citizen report. Their average pay this decade, calculated through 2007, equaled 575 times the median American family’s 2007 income."
    Last edited by JohnConstantine; May 01 2012 at 12:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks