Jim Rogers: U.S. to plunge into recession in 2013

Discussion in 'Economics & Trade' started by DA60, Apr 24, 2012.

1. DA60

DA60 Banned

2. General Fear

General Fear New Member

I am not surprised. Besides what Jim Rogers said, the tax cuts will expire in 2013. Which means a wet blanket will land over the US economy. Then there is the problem with Europe. They are still in trouble over there.

For sure, the economy is at the edge of a knife.

3. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

4. DA60

DA60 Banned

If you had actually read/watched those links (or were as familiar with him as I am), you would see that no where does Jim Rogers state that there will be a recession 'by such and such a date'.

That is not his style.

He merely states that there are traditionally recessions in America every 4 to 6 years since America began and that she is due for another one around 2012 since that would be within the 4 to 6 year window since the last one.

I appreciate that economic laypersons like you seem to have a difficult time differentiating between someone saying that something is 'historically due around a certain time' and saying something 'will definitely happen at a certain time'.

But fortunately, investors like me can...not that I am an expert in any sense of the word.

Finally, Jim Rogers has said time and again that he is none too good at timing trends exactly (I am paraphrasing).
    That is (I assume) why he refrains from setting dates for predictions. He just quotes historical trends and relates them to today.

BTW - did you see the bottom of the screen of the video on your third link at the 2:52 mark where it said he was bullish on silver?

That was March, 2010 - when silver was at about $17.

He stopped being bullish around early 2011 - when it was close to $40-45.

And even if you missed his bearish warning - today it is over $30.

A 76% return on his advice in two years.

http://silverprice.org/silver-price-history.html

Have a nice day.

5. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

I will be going back to Danmark. Several danish and swedish people I know have already left because of unemployment problems.

I fear someday soon the whole world will turn into a third world hell hole, and there will be nowhere left to escape to. At the rate things are going, even Russia might start to look like an attractive place to move to.

6. fmw

fmw Well-Known Member

Jim Rogers is a little confused. We are in a recession already - have been since late 2007. If the recession ended technically, it certainly didn't end economically.

7. tbudwiser

tbudwiser New Member

I agree -- when did the recession we are already in end? It seems like things have only gotten worse. I mean look around.. What has gotten better? The government may be trying to make things seem better, but IMO, they're not. One crucial thing in determining a good or bad economy is the unemployment rate -- to state the obvious. But, what some are forgetting is the government statistics on the US unemployment rate IS A LIE! An exaggeration; a misleading piece of false hope for Americans (especially ones that are in denial about where the US is heading at this rate) -- whatever you want to call it. The official "Unemployment" benefits lasts for one year. This means that as years go by, more and more people get kicked off the benefit, furthermore damaging the already broken US economy, but at least it gives America false hope for an improving economy. Half the people on my block are unemployed but not on the unemployment benefits program that the Feds use to determine the amount of unemployed people. So if you see the unemployment rate down on the news, just assume that only now are more US citizens either looking for jobs again or seeking additional government support. I could name dozens that are going back to school just for grants. Many also use the economic crash of '29 as another way of coping. I hear it all the time; "Well, it was way worse back then and we came out of it, so why can't we now?" -- but back then the Fed's collected statistical data through the US Census based on how many people claimed they had were unemployed -- NOT by how many people were on a program that lasts one year. Just goes to show how the US government has slowly lost it's ethics and morals. My thought is, why would the Feds mislead this country unless the economy was worse than any of us could think? The only reason they would have to mislead us into believing our economy isn't as bad as it really is is to keep the people from rioting and freaking out over the possibility of the US fall. It's just a theory that makes sense in my mind. It could be false though. Who know's. Predictions of where the US economy is heading have now turned into a guessing game; a matter of opinion.

8. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

Jim Rogers usually invests in emerging nations where he believes growth is about to take root in a significant way. I'd look to go to those places, if you can stand living in places that aren't up to western standards.

9. Iriemon

You're a little confused because of the common misconception of how a "recession" is defined by the entities that measure it (eg NBER).

A recession is when the economy is getting worse. A recession ends when the economy stops getting worse. That doesn't mean when the economy has fully recovered. So yes, you can still have high unemployment, a battered economy, and not be in a recession.

10. Iriemon

Upon what basis do you claim the recession did not end?

Speaking of "A LIE", where did you get your belief that whether people are collecting unemployment benefits has anything to do with the unemployment rate or data.

I heard this claimed on Fox News, is that where you got your belief and understanding?

Or maybe it just goes to show how many people have been mislead by erroneous data and distorted information from RW propaganda media?

If you found out that THE LIE was not the Govt data but your belief about how uenmployment benefits affects unemployment data, and that your source was the LIE, would that change your perspective about what it "just goes to show"?

Did you ever have the thought that maybe it is not the "Feds" who are misleading you, but the sources upone which you get such erroneous beliefs and understandings?

11. tbudwiser

tbudwiser New Member

I have heard this from several economists as well as Fox news. Like I said, this whole matter is now withered down to option and belief. Do you have any proof that I'm wrong about how the Feds collect unemployment statistics data? I bet not. I don't have any proof that my theory is true either except for word of mouth. I'm just getting into economics and very open to other beliefs and ideas -- if some facts can be laid down on the tabel. Let's see it.

12. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

All of the data methods are available. The US, compared to other nations, also provides numerous different measures (e.g. taking into account discouraged worker effects). Data is also easily checked through the use of specific labour force surveys (which are also available using definitions suitable for international comparison). You're on a loser

13. Iriemon

Well, It's no surprise Fox News is feeding you false information.

Which economists?

It is not an issue of opinion at all.

I'm glad you are very open, that is a rare characteristic. However, word of mouth and Fox news are poor and often erroneous bases upon which to built your economic knowledge.

Furthermore, when you use unreliable sources like Fox, you get erroneous information, whick then leads to wrong conclusions, like in this case, it is the government lying, as opposed to Fox or whomever those economists you claim you heard told you.

+++

Where do the statistics come from?

Because unemployment insurance records relate only to persons who have applied for such benefits, and because it is impractical to actually count every unemployed person each month, the Government conducts a monthly sample survey called the Current Population Survey (CPS) to measure the extent of unemployment in the country. The CPS has been conducted in the United States every month since 1940 when it began as a Work Projects Administration program. It has been expanded and modified several times since then.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm

What do the unemployment insurance (UI) figures measure?

The UI figures are not produced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Statistics on insured unemployment in the United States are collected as a by-product of UI programs. Workers who lose their jobs and are covered by these programs typically file claims ("initial claims") that serve as notice that they are beginning a period of unemployment. Claimants who qualify for benefits are counted in the insured unemployment figures (as "continued claims"). Data on UI claims are maintained by the Employment and Training Administration, an agency of the U.S. Department of Labor, and are available on the Internet at: http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/unemploy/claims.asp.

These data are not used to measure total unemployment because they exclude several important groups. To begin with, not all workers are covered by UI programs. For example, self-employed workers, unpaid family workers, workers in certain not-for-profit organizations, and several other small (primarily seasonal) worker categories are not covered. In addition, the insured unemployed exclude the following:

* Unemployed workers who have exhausted their benefits
    * Unemployed workers who have not yet earned benefit rights (such as new entrants or reentrants to the labor force)
    * Disqualified workers whose unemployment is considered to have resulted from their own actions rather than from economic conditions; for example, a worker discharged for misconduct on the job
    * Otherwise eligible unemployed persons who do not file for benefits

http://www.bls.gov/cps/faq.htm#Ques10

The CPS collects information on the labor force status of the civilian noninstitutional population 15 years of age and older, although labor force estimates are reported only for those 16 and older. Persons under 16 years of age are excluded from the official estimates because child labor laws, compulsory school attendance, and general social custom in the United States severely limit the types and amount of work that these children can do. Persons on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces are excluded from coverage. The institutional population, which also is excluded from coverage, consists of residents of penal and mental institutions and homes for the aged and infirm.

The CPS is collected each month from a probability sample of approximately 60,000 households. Respondents are assured that all information obtained is completely confidential and is used only for the purpose of statistical analysis. Although the survey is conducted on a strictly voluntary basis, refusals to cooperate amount to only about 4 percent each month. (Another 3 to 4 percent of eligible households are not interviewed because of other failures to make contact.)

http://www.bls.gov/opub/hom/homch1_b.htm

+++

As the above demonstrates, Fox gave you a load of bull. It won't be the last time. The unemployment benefits figures are not used at all in determining unemployment data, for reasons stated. Unemployment data is based upon independent statistical sampling.

Fox's nonsense doesn't fly from another angle. If only people getting unemployment benes counted as unemployed, we'd only have about 3.2 million unemployed, because that is the number of folks continuing to receive unemployment benes currently.

http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/eta/ui/current.htm

Yet the BLS reports there are 12.5 million unemployed, about 5x more.

http://www.bls.gov/webapps/legacy/cpsatab1.htm

Obviously, the Government (BLS) is not using unemployment data to calculate the number of unemployed.

So, now that we have established that the entity that LIED here was Fox, and that your conclusion was based on a false premise, maybe you will consider doing a bit more research into your information and consider more reliable sources if you are interested in gaining knowledge in the macroeconomic sphere. Don't despair, numerous other folks have been misinformed by Fox on this exact same issue.

14. tbudwiser

tbudwiser New Member

I asked to see facts and you did just that. Thanks for correcting me. I'm still learning and very interested in economy.

Iriemon and (deleted member) like this.
  15. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

Your number is wrong. There are about 3.2 million receiving unemployment benefits in state programs. However, the number double that (6.4 million), when all programs are accounted for.
    http://www.dol.gov/opa/media/press/eta/ui/current.htm

I think what you forgot to account for are the several million people in the Emergency Unemployment Compensation program.

The BLS explains how they do it in their FAQ.

16. Iriemon

The advance number for seasonally adjusted insured unemployment during the week ending April 28 was 3,229,000, a decrease of 61,000 from the preceding week's revised level of 3,290,000.

The total number of people claiming benefits in all programs for the week ending April 21 was 6,423,383, a decrease of 174,529 from the previous week.

I think that is right, apparently the 3.2 million figure does not include various extended program figures.

But it does not undermine my point. 6.4 million still does not corroborate with the 12.5 million unemployed the BLS reports, demonstrating that the BLS does not rely on unemployment data to determine the number of unemployed, as they state in their faq.

Right, they explain that they do not use unemployment benefit data to determine the number of unemployed, and rely on statistical sampling instead, as shown above. That's the whole point of the discussion.

17. fmw

fmw Well-Known Member

I'm not confused at all. I understand how a recession is defined technically. What I'm explaining to you is that the "recession" has had some ups and downs. Wait till you see the second quarter numbers. They will be down. The first quarter had a little up tick in February and March. My own belief is that this isn't a recession at all but a new economic reality. I think we are paying the piper for 50 years of sending our jobs and wealth overseas. Nothing is going to head us back upward until we start getting those jobs and dollars back.

I've always wondered why economics is a political issue. Our government can't fix the economy. The economy has to fix itself. I've always wondered why economics is called a social science. There is nothing scientific about it at all. It is a bunch of academics arguing about their opinions. The numbers themselves indicate something, I suppose, but they don't currently indicate the economic health of our society. Common sense should rule.

18. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

This is on a par with mercantilism, with empty nationalist comment used to hide from sound economic comment

19. Iriemon

You are obviously still confused or you wouldn't have made that statement. When the economy is going up it is not a recession.

You can come back and tell us when it happens.

The economy has bee going upwards for 10 straight quarters already and 4.2 million additional private sector jobs have been created since Jan 2010.

I agree that the power any given president or government can have to effect economic change is overrated by the masses. I disagree that Govt policy has no effect. It can have a huge effect.

20. fmw

fmw Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't believe it. Nor does any business person that I know. I wish it were true.