+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 74

Thread: hello. what is the liberal / conservative ratio here?

  1. #21
    usa us california
    Location: The foothills of Northern California
    Posts: 11,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brewskier View Post
    Welcome. I'm a reformed liberal myself. Voting for Obama was the biggest mistake of my life. The good news is that it forced me to really question my political beliefs and I realized just how wrong I was on many of them.

    I have grown a lot since 2008. I wish I can undo my mistake, but I can't. Best thing is to move on and make better choices in the future.
    Why do I find that unbelieveable?

    I'm not calling you a liar...but most peope go from far right, to moderate or independent, or far left, to moderate or independent....not full on swing from left to right.

    I must admit, I was a rightie from 1968-1990, then I moved leftwards, and since 2004, have been swinging back towards a moderate....

    Forgive me....we have a lot of rightie posters on this site who claim to be "reformed" lefties, and I think most of them are just saying that, and have likely been righties the whole time
    Last edited by Goldwater; May 08 2012 at 09:10 AM.
    You don't have to be straight to shoot straight...Barry Goldwater

  2. Prosper.com, finance, financial, investing, lending, borrowing, banking, credit card, payday, borrowers, lenders, debt consolidation, Prosper, investment, personal loans, personal loan, investors, investment opportunities, debt consolidation

  3. #22
    Location: Woonsocket RI
    Posts: 765
    Blog Entries: 11
    My Latest Mood: Angry

    Default

    My wife talked me into voting for Obama last time but I've regretted it ever since and can't consider voting for him again.

  4. Question Level the playing field .

    Quote Originally Posted by Makedde View Post
    Thanks, Frodders.
    yeah , he could have talked all day and not said that . . but he does have a point .



    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva_TD View Post
    For those that oppose Obama I can only say that Mitt Romney isn't a choice either. He's openly waging a war on gays/lesbians and women Rights with his advocacy of an authoritarian social conservative government. I highly recommend supporting the Johnson/Gray presidential ticket of the Libertarian Party.

    Housing prices are a problem because they were over-inflated prior to 2007 and about 3 million excess homes were built between 2000 and 2007. Until most of those homes are sold the prices are going to remain depressed and it will probably be 2020 before prices return to 2007 levels based upon market pressure. The government can't really do anything about this because the government (Federal Reserve) was basically responsible for creating the housing bubble. A free market is the only way to ensure against over-inflated pricing and the resulting collapse which is a result of government interventionism in the economy. We need to get rid of the Federal Reserve and get our government out of the economy.
    Although I agree with most of your post , there are a few things I would ask you about .

    The housing market will continue to be unstable , I agree .

    Booting the Federal Reserve would be akin to the UHC effort , it's a national debate that would take many years to work out , if it ever was. I agree that it's a needed task , but perhaps now is not the time . As to when the best time would be , I don't know , I guess when all the other problems are dealt with .

    In my opinion , the reason the US finds itself with no middle class is because the gov't turned it's back on our own economy. A Global Market , people say ...US gonna have to compete , yes , I've heard it before , it rang as an emptily hollow argument then as it does now . the US worker cannot survive on the China paid wage of $2.50 a DAY . .

    Our Fed Gov't been watching jobs leave the US for foreign mfg. markets for over 40 years now , , did anyone really expect that it would result in a better way of life for our own citizens ? . . that is who our gov't leaders were elected to represent , isn't it ? .

  5. #24

    Default

    The forum's active membership is skewed right. It's hard to get a good grip on how far just because we tend to gravitate towards threads that interest us and run into the same posters...

    While we have a large contingent of libertarians, we also have a fairly large contingent of extreme right-wingers who call themselves libertarians while supporting gay marriage bans, the War on Drugs, a large "defense" budget etc.

    I'm proudly liberal and a card-carrying progressive.

    “Only in America can you be pro-death penalty, pro-war, pro-unmanned drone bombs, pro-nuclear weapons, pro-guns, pro-torture, pro-land mines, and still call yourself ‘pro-life.’" ~John Fugelsang

    PF's Liberal Progressive Underground


  6. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva_TD View Post
    With something like 40,000 members it would be hard to tell but obviously most of those members don't post. We can only go by what we see and generally we tend to recognize the "opposition" more than we do those we agree with politically. Additionally we seem to have more of the opposition to the "existing" adminstration posting than those that agree with it. In 2008 when I joined far more "liberals" were posting because they objected to the Bush adminstration. Today more "conservatives" are posting because they object to the Obama adminstration.

    What I find interesting is that we have about an equal mix when it comes to intelligence with about 1/2 of the members having a normal IQ or greater and 1/2 of the members having a normal IQ or lower. We can really tell those that have a lower IQ because they lack the ability to actually understand and present valid political opinion but they do get a lot of responses based upon stupid topics. We have our share of stupid racists as well that don't have the intelligence of a tin can and we often see that in some of the threads they create.

    What the hey, there's a place for everyone here as long as they abide by the Forum Rules and Mission Statement. Left, right, libertarian, communist, capitalist, racist and civil rights advocates. Play by the rules and enjoy the discussions.
    Do you reckon if it were a Republican government right now, there would be a whole lot less conservative members posting and a whole lot more progressive members posting? I've noticed that trend as well. I posted on other forums in 2008-2009 and it seemed like just about everybody was raving about Obama. They were also ranting about the Bush administration. It seems like whoever is in power, the opposition comes to the internet.

  7. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    hi i voted for obama but my wife and i are seriously wondering how we could do it again. my wife hates politics and news in general. her philosophy is this: "if something is important enough for me to know then it will interrupt my regularly scheduled programming"

    (funny thing is if you go to street view on google maps there is an obama sign in my front yard but i can't post the link here because i don't want everyone to know where i live)

    anyway i'm curious if there are others who voted for obama and are switching sides this time around?
    I didn't vote for Obama in 2008. . .in fact, I didn't vote for ANYONE, as I wasn't a US Citizen then, although I had lived in the US for most of 36 years.
    But... my determination to vote for Obama THIS TIME AROUND was so strong that I actually went through the process of becoming an US citizen (on March 26, 2012) so that I can register to vote.

    I will be registering as an Independent, because I do not like to feel that I owe allegiance to any party. . .I do NOT like to follow party line and give up my ability to think and to make independent decisions.
    But, I will without ANY doubt vote for President Obama!

    In fact, the obsessive attempts to demonize our President over the last 4 years, and the constant focus on "making him fail" (when in fact, those attempts to make Obama fail were destructive for our country and SLOWED the recovery) have been the main motivators in my decision to vote for Obama.

    I think it is unconscionable that this man was attacked non-stop even BEFORE January 2009, and that EVERYTHING he does (or doesn't do!) is spinned to look like a failure or turned to ridicule.

    I find it ridiculous that people who pretend to love their country didn't get "behind" their president in a time of need. . .need brought about by the LAST Republican administration!

    The hypocrisy, the lack of fairness, the hatred, the stupidity of too many people in this country have made the job of this ONE MAN, our President, legally elected, and respected by the rest of the world, much more difficult than it should have been. Where I am concerned, those who are today wrapping themselves in a flag, and carrying a cross, and calling themselves PATRIOTS have acted as traitors toward the country they claim to love so much.

    And I will NOT reward their stupidity and hypocrisy by participating in electing a straw man who will say and do anything to get the most extreme dummies in this nation to elect him. . .so that he can achieve his last goal of living in the White House for 4 years! Romney has NONE Of the qualifications of integrity, honesty and courage that are needed to earn the respect of the world. . .and, even if 250 years ago, we could live mostly isolated from the rest of the world, today's global economy doesn't allow us to "elect" someone just because he is not the current President and he will say anything his current audience wants to hear!
    Last edited by Sadanie; May 08 2012 at 04:50 PM.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sadanie View Post
    I think it is unconscionable that this man was attacked non-stop even BEFORE January 2009, and that EVERYTHING he does (or doesn't do!) is spinned to look like a failure or turned to ridicule.
    I'm glad you were able to register to vote this time around Sadanie. Don't be too disappointed if your guy doesn't win though

    I actually think Obama has gotten off with hardly a bloody nose given the current state of things. Obama is a great person who believes deeply in his cause. Unfortunately we need jobs more than anything right now and the cause Obama is fighting for is blocking business and punishing job creators.

    Is it "honest" to go on TV and get mad at Apple for building a factory overseas and vow to punish businesses that don't hire here at home with additional taxes and at the same time tell Apple "no" when they ask to build a factory here? Apple is willing to pay more for labor and really wants to build a bunch of factories but the Obama administration says, "no" Apple is willing to pay massive fees and comply with any and all building codes, red tape, environmental concerns and the Obama administration says, "No"

    That to me is the epitome of dishonesty. Obama is demonizing the corporations that have the power to create jobs and trying to turn the uneducated public against them. You would be hard pressed to make the case that 30+ million americans are out of work because of corporations.

  9. Default

    Welcome to the forum!

    This forum seems to have a lot of libertarians and conservatives (I am one myself). There are also a lot of liberals. Probably a bit more cons, but you will find lots of different viewpoints.
    Democratic Party = Leech Party

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Why do I find that unbelieveable?

    I'm not calling you a liar...but most peope go from far right, to moderate or independent, or far left, to moderate or independent....not full on swing from left to right.

    I must admit, I was a rightie from 1968-1990, then I moved leftwards, and since 2004, have been swinging back towards a moderate....

    Forgive me....we have a lot of rightie posters on this site who claim to be "reformed" lefties, and I think most of them are just saying that, and have likely been righties the whole time
    I couldn't care less about whether someone like you considers me a liar or not. I have nothing to prove to you. Honest people usually give pause to dishonest people, so it makes sense.
    "I'm fighting for every nation and every people's right to have their own culture, their own religion, their own homeland. I think multiculturalism is a tool intended to destroy diversity, because there is no such thing as multiculturalism. If you have two cultures in the same place one is ultimately going to prevail over the other, at the expense of the other. So their attempt to implement the multicultural society is an active attempt to destroy European nations, worldwide" - Varg Vikernes

  11. Default

    Hello,

    the answer is too much liberals and too few conservatives.

    Welcome here.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.—Oscar Wilde

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Quick Thread: What is the liberal equivalent to neo-con from neo-cons?
    By merc in forum Political Opinions & Beliefs
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Apr 15 2012, 05:35 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks