All is fair in love and the climate science war?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Bowerbird, Apr 28, 2012.

?

Should climate scientists have their emails published?

1. yes

37.5%
  2. no

62.5%
  1. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

I had known about Marc Morano's little campaign of hate for some time but was taken aback that he would admit to it publicly on TV -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...nge-sceptics-australian-tv-show?newsfeed=true

Here is a report on Morano's tactics in relation to the late Stephen Schneider

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2010/jul/13/climate-sceptic-morano-award
    Morano is not the only one

http://www.physicstoday.org/resource/1/phtoad/v65/i2/p22_s1?bypassSSO=1

2. Windigo

Windigo Banned

Don't work for a public institution and you can keep your university e-mail address from being public. Those e-mail address don't belong to the scientist. They belong to the taxpayer.

3. Bowerbird

And if it is a private university such as Bond?

I would have to say that this is the most pathetic excuse for an excuse I have ever come across. No condemnation of the hate campaign just a "blame the victim" game

4. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

Academic email addresses aren't private to begin with - the whole point is to be able to find someone at a University whose work interests you so they're published. Publishing them (even though they're public) is obviously an attempt to annoy but it's not equivalent to publishing peoples' home addresses. And spam filters work very well these days.

As for death threats, they're bad regardless of how they're delivered. An email can often be traced, which is something. Do the climate deniers actually want to kill over the issue? Weird. Anyway the whole thing is obviously obnoxious but not illegal and it doesn't surprise me this guy's doing it. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

5. Bowerbird

I have uncovered more about this

http://theconversation.edu.au/climate-scientists-the-target-in-culture-war-1692

6. Bowerbird

I have uncovered more about this

http://theconversation.edu.au/climate-scientists-the-target-in-culture-war-1692

7. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

8. Windigo

Windigo Banned

Lets end this silliness.

[video=youtube;JfnddMpzPsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfnddMpzPsM[/video]

Warmmongers complain about veiled threats in e-mails that they rarely if ever release. At the same time they threaten us skeptics openly and as obscenely as is humanly possible.

9. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

The nice thing about this argument is that relatively soon it will become obvious who is right. But I believe the emails containing non-veiled threats have been released - they're in the guardian article, aren't they? On the other hand I haven't seen any evidence of skeptics being threatened as obscenely as is humanly possible, so could you give me a few examples? I'm against it, of course, whether or not you're making it all up.

10. Windigo

Windigo Banned

You dont see them blowing us up for our opinion????

11. fishmatter

fishmatter New Member

I'm lost. I can't tell if you're joking or not. No, I don't see anybody blowing you up. Why, have you been threatened? I'd really like to hear about it if you have been.

12. Windigo

Windigo Banned

Blowing skeptics up in general of which I'm a member. They have also talked about labeling us with Tattoos ala preholocost Nazi Germany.

And in the 10:10 video I posted they fantasize about having a little red button that could just kill us. Perhaps you find it a joke. But when you are talking about a movement that has the massive force of the world governments behind it the idea of blowing up their opponents is a very real threat.

Moving on. It seems that once again we have a thread full of warmmonger lies. This story goes back to June 2011. When warmmonger scientists in Australia claimed that they were getting death threats. It made its way through the news cycle with no evidence what so ever presented. Naturally we skeptics wanted some proof. Forgive us if we don't exactly trust the word of warmmonger scientists. First we simply requested that the University release a sample of the claimed death threats. The University quite surprisingly refused. You figure if you had such evidence you would make it public. In the rare instances where such threats were real warmmongers wasted no time making it as public as possible. So the University's refusal to prove the threats was very out of character.

So naturally we used the thing that ever warmmonger hates despite the fact that they love to use it against their enemies, FOIA. Naturally the University denied the FIOA request. We expect that. So its been almost a year and the Privacy Commissioner Timothy Pilgrim issued his ruling. Guess what? Of the 11 e-mails supplied to Timothy Pilgrim all of them “do not contain threats to kill” and only one of them “could be regarded as intimidating and at its highest perhaps alluding to a threat”.

http://joannenova.com.au/2012/05/pa...eats-how-11-rude-emails-became-a-media-blitz/

So naturally we have a typical warmmonger smear. A claim was made without evidence. They then refused to show their evidence. They then fought an FIOA for as long as they could. And when it was all proven to be a lie they still pretend that it was true. Its also a microcosm of how they engage in science.

13. Bowerbird

She is probably referring to the UK made advertisement that was made as a JOKE - you know bit of British humour. The dualists have been trying to use it for ages as "proof" that the "warmists are threatening us".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/oct/04/10-10-activism

((((((shrugs)))))))))))

The Ad is not my cup of tea and we can live without it - and ironically it would be a forgotten event save for discussions like this. However I do think it is a far cry from what is amounting to cyberbullying

14. Bowerbird

Who is "we"

Some anonymous person on the internet it demanding emails that have, in all probability been sent to the Federal Police? Just to let you know - the AFP is not like the FBI who are known as "Famous But incompetent" Once the matter is referred to the AFP they would not be able to release the Emails

15. freddy62

freddy62 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Don't know about the US but here in Australia the climate change deceivers have contributed to the suicide of many Australian farmers with restrictive green legislation.

16. Bowerbird

Got proof?

Because I am betting that what you are actually seeing is the result of a government that would rather blame the farmers for cutting down trees than blame the likes of BHP or Hazelwood

17. freddy62

Carbon dioxide, amospheric water vapour & water droplets in clouds share almost the same light absorbent frequencies so it does not matter who the government blames & punishes it will still not have much impact on climate change.

18. Bowerbird

What a defeatist !! And I note you did not answer my question about proof - and probably because it was based on pub talk generated by the likes of Alan Jones

19. freddy62

After reading your first reply a second time I am still not sure what you want the proof of.

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/crazy-or-not-can-we-get-this-bloke-off-his-tree/

Anything that makes it a lot harder for some farmers to earn a living will also make life more stressful.

The Sun, our place in the solar system, earth's unstable magnetic fields & the passage of or solar system through the Milky Way's magnetic equator this year are of more concern to me for climate change than carbon dioxide.

20. Bowerbird

Bit more to that story seems there is more involved that just preventing someone from clearing land
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ncer-up-the-pole/story-e6frg6nf-1225817155039

Hmmmmm - like a 10 year record drought followed by record floods maybe?? Extreme weather events are part of global warming

Okaaaaay! I will take this one at a time and slowly

The Sun - output has not changed appreciably
    Our place in the solar system - will not change!, unless of course you are trying to refer to the Milankovitch cycles - not an issue at the moment!
    Earth's unstable magnetic fields - have not really been proven and there is NO evidence that even shifts in the magnetic poles have had a significant effect on the biosphere in the past
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomagnetic_reversal
    Passage of the solar system through the Milky ways equator - WHAT BLOODY WACKED OUT SITES HAVE YOU BEEN VISITING???

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/will-earth-pass-through-galactic-plane-in-2012

21. Windigo

Windigo Banned

This thread is still ongoing??? Its all based on a lie. There never were any death threats.

22. Bowerbird

Your opinion for what it is worth...................

23. freddy62

It is usually more than one thing that contributes to the stresses & depression that leads to suicide & unnecessary clearing bans are not helpful IMHO.

There was a eight year drought from 1895 to 1902 & where is your proof that 10 year droughts are unusual in Australia over the last 11 thousand years in Australia since the end of the last ice age. Floods often follow droughts in Australia.

I read somewhere that the little ice age in Europe was preceded by a period of warming that was a bit hotter than it is now. These things tend to come & go in cycles but is there any real unadulterated proof that man is making it any worse on a global scale.

Earth's orbit lies in an area of space where the amount of cosmic rays that reach the earth can be greatly reduced with a small increase in the solar wind (high sunspot activity). Cosmic rays aid in the formation of clouds & during times of high sunspot activity there are less clouds being formed than would otherwise be the case resulting in more sunshine & higher temperatures. It is not just about energy output.

Changes in earths magnetic fields are recorded in iron in the ground that has been spreading out from the Mid Atlantic ridge, the proof is there. Earths magnetic fields have been measured & found to be in a chaotic state & real scientists are concerned that it could flip but it could also return to it's previous state.
    http://www.science20.com/make_love_...netic_force_and_possible_polar_reversal-76775

The magnetosphere helps shield us from solar & cosmic radiation so IMHO a decrease in the shield is of concern.

The article I found that on was talking about the Milky Way gobbling up a much smaller galaxy & that the Earth is in the area where the stars from that galaxy are being drawn in & how the gravitational equator had been distorted away from the galactic plane by that process. Did not find that article again but did find one about Sagittarius being consumed. http://www.thelivingmoon.com/44cosmic_wisdom/02files/Scientists_Now_Know_We_are_Not_From_Here.html

24. Bowerbird

No, and if you had done a little more research and not relied on the likes of Alan Jones for your "facts" you might have found that there is a darn sight more to it and that this has been impacting on farmers since 1999
    http://www.environment.gov.au/epbc/review/publications/pubs/07-land-clearance.pdf

T
    So, because there were bush fires in Australia before mad arrived here - man has nothing to do with any bush fires ever started? Of course there were droughts in the past but it is the severity of the climate swings that are new. Rising temperatures mean that when we do have droughts they are more severe due to increased evaporation. The recent floods - I know we have had floods in the past but has there ever been a flood like the one that took out Grantham? We went from dam levels of less than 10 percent in many cases to so full we had to release flooding levels of water - within MONTHS

"I read it somewhere" Gee you know that is almost as persuasive an argument as "I herd it in da pub da udder day"

Up until recently the sun has been the major driver of the climate

[​IMG]

but with the rising CO2 the correlation between solar output and rising temperature has diminished - as this graph from Stanford university shows

Okay so, when did Cornflakes start putting wild science fiction ideas from pulp magazines on the back of the packets - because this is where this HAD to have come from
    Basically until you can actually put some sort of actual science and proof to this I am relegating it to the "Twilight Zone"

Hmmmm - "Real scientists" I suppose are those NOT researching climate and finding out things that people would rather not know about - like how much CO2 is affecting the climate? Hate to tell you but those same "real scientists" will also tell you that the shifting magnetosphere has sweet fanny adams to do with climate change - Oh! and I love your "proof" it is from someone who describes themselves as
    http://www.science20.com/make_love_...netic_force_and_possible_polar_reversal-76775
    Yep! "real scientists" opinions riiiiiiiiiiiiight!!

Tell me, because inquiring minds do want to know - Do you not think we could measure all of this? If there was a significant decrease in the magnetosphere leading to an increase in solar and cosmic radiation reaching Earth's surface - do you not think someone would have been able to measure this increase?

Oh! Dear! How can I break this to you? WEll, read my signature for a starters and realise that just because it is out there on the internet does not mean it is not a pile of Elephant poo. I suggest you steer clear of any site that claims it has "uncovered a well kept secret" and claims
    Oh! and the whole "Cosmic rays and Clouds theory"?

Debunked - by "REAL" scientists

http://www.skepticalscience.com/cosmic-rays-and-global-warming.htm

25. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

If we had a gigantic volcanic eruption it is possible that we could go into a mini ice age. This would be the result of volcanic ash blocking the sun.
    This is something we have no control over and probably will not happen.

But as it stands now the earth is getting less sunlight at the surface and it is getting warmer. So we not only have to reduce greenhouse gas emissions but we also have to reduce the amount of particulate matter in the atmosphere.

It is just a matter of fact...just pure fact.

And......if we reduce the amount of particulate matter in the atmosphere without reducing greenhouse emissions it will acelerate global warming.

The three days after 9/11 when aircraft flight was banned in the U.S. the temprature increased 1 degree C.