The administration of President Barack Obama is raising the possibility that it could sell new jet fighter aircraft to Taiwan to help redress the island's air power deficit with China.
In my opinion, there may be four reasons for the possible US arms sales to Taiwan.
1. To prevent the US arms industry from going bankrupt. Well, the US could sell the weapons to China instead. By this way, the shares of the US arms industry could even soar through the ceiling.
2. Those imperialists in the US Congress still harbour the evil motive of adding Taiwan to their territory and could never feel at ease if they don't stir up trouble now and then between the mainland and the island. As I have suggested before, those imperialists can try to move Taiwan bit by bit across the Pacific to the US by digging pails of Taiwanese soil every day and transporting them to reclaim the sea off the American coast.
3. To use the arms sales to Taiwan as a bargaining chip to force China to halt the North Korean nuclear programme. However, North Korea has been leading China by the nose since the Korean War. Once it senses that China has given up all support to the hermit state, the North Korean regime will not hesitate to invade the South at once, knowing that the Chinese army will never allow the US military to wipe it off from the Korean Peninsula.
4. To use the arms sales to Taiwan as a bargaining chip to force China to drop its support for Syria and Iran at the UN. If we look at the map of Iran and Syria, we could see the two countries hold more strategic value to Russia than China. Once Iran and Syria fall to the West, elements hostile to Russia can infiltrate the Central Asian states and Russia. Eventually those hostile elements may even penetrate Xinjiang from Central Asia. Whether China will veto any resolution against Syria and Iran will depend on Russia, because it will be foolish for China not to act in concert with Russia in international affairs. China needs Russia as an effective counterbalance against the US not only militarily but also in the international arena.
What will China do if the US goes forward with its arms sales to Taiwan?
As usual, we may expect the usual loud screams and protests, and even some naval exercises in the Taiwan Strait.
In my opinion, such "scream murder" as described by my "sadistic" friend is absolutely useless.
I have two suggestions which will make the US and Taiwan regret for their actions.
1. China should consider providing port facilities to Russian warships
2. China should suspend all trade and economic ties with Taiwan so that the island will not be able to use the money it earns from the China trade to purchase arms from the US.
There is no point for the US to say any sweet words after hurting others. The future of Sino-US relations is bleak indeed.
China says it opposes any US arms sales to Taiwan
Taiwan bill introduced in US Congress
A New Cold War between China and the US
Moscow: We decided to defend Damascus
Russia warns West against attack on Iran
The Total Collapse
Map of Iran, Syria and the surrounding regions.