Fat Cat greed headline just in time for the election

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by gophangover, May 1, 2012.

1. gophangover

gophangover Well-Known Member

Here we go again with more fat cat corporate greed. And another fat cat, Chris Christie hints he's interested in running with Romney. How appropriate, a fat cat ticket. But this story is going to sink the GOP.
    The Conservative Menace: Chesapeake Energy Corp

Once again we get reminded of what a Republican/Libertarian America would look like as the next and newest type of Enron emerges.

Chesapeake Energy Corp is being investigated for the actions of it's CEO and the poo is just starting to hit the fan.

A greedy CEO, a board of yes men, including former Republican Governor Frank Keating, a complex spider web of deals and questionable actions, and it's looking pretty much like another prime example for why we need regulations and controls on business.

And as usual, it's the going to be the tax payer and the middle class stockholders who will get to eat the losses. Not everyone has the option to not invest in Chesapeake if they have mutual funds, pension plans, etc...so when Chesapeake implodes those are the people who
    lose everything. if Chesapeake falls apart, it's the social programs that get to pick up the pieces when people lose their jobs.
    Privatize the profits but socialize the losses.

But that won't stop the day dreamers like Libertarians and Ayn Randtards. They're still going to praise the purity of unrestricted unregulated business because fantasy is much easier to deal with when reality is so cruel.

"Reuters reported on April 18 that McClendon, who founded the company, had borrowed as much as $1.1 billion in the last three years against his ownership stakes in wells that he received under the company's 'Founder Well Participation Program.'"

"Chesapeake also confirmed in an amendment to its annual report filed with the SEC that Mr. McClendon has mortgaged his well stakes with lenders, some of whom have business relationships with Chesapeake. The Wall Street Journal reported that Mr. McClendon has received loans from private-equity firm EIG Global Energy Partners in addition to Wells Fargo & Co., Bank of America Corp. and
    Goldman Sachs Group Inc. None of the companies have commented on the
    relationship, and a Chesapeake spokesman on Monday declined to discuss the IRS review."

"The loans had been previously undisclosed to shareholders, analysts and academics said, raising concerns that McClendon's personal financial deals could compromise his fiduciary duty to Chesapeake."

"Investors should also be wary of the company’s monstrous complexity. It has convoluted off-balance sheet liabilities thanks to convoluted partnerships; hedging gains have dwarfed profit since 2006; and cash flow is consistently negative."

"With no cash flow and its byzantine structure, Chesapeake is a trust-me story. The CEO’s personal transactions raise questions about the basis for such faith. All the more reason for investors to steer clear unless and until McClendon and his colleagues can explain exactly what’s in the corporate black box they have constructed."

2. gophangover

The cons don't want to touch this, do they. But it's going to dominate the headlines all the way to the election. The 1%ers are exposed.

3. Random_Variable

Random_Variable New Member

Are people beyond the age of 15 who use the terms "fat cats" and "corporate greed" to be taken seriously?

4. gophangover

Man you are sooooo out of touch with reality.

5. Random_Variable

Random_Variable New Member

I actually like this guy. I bet he's high as a kite at this very moment.

6. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

It's doubtful Romney will pick him. Two "northern" politicians on the same ticket doesn't make sense. He needs someone from the south or western part of America.

And gophangover...aren't you just a bit jealous of people who have made more money than you? If not, why keep up with the 1% crap? It's childish.

7. gophangover

Thanks dude, but no, I've got real world stuff to do today. But it's easy to see your meds keep you in lala land.

8. Cigar

Cigar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Conservatives Block out The Year 2008.

9. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Solyndra, Evergreen Solar Inc., SpectraWatt, Mountain Plaza Inc., Olsen's Crop Service and Olsen's Mills Acquisition Co. - It is good to be friends with Obama.

10. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

Funny, you always jump on people to stay on topic, but you always start off by baiting everyone. Simple question: are you deranged or just an out and out ugly individual trying to get his jollies for the day?

11. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

You guys have got to stop trying to write everything off to envy or jealousy or something else you can couch in negative terms. Running the world for the benefit of 1% of the population at the expense of the other 99% is a strange practice for you to champion. It should be against everything you say you stand for.

12. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

Read history...it has been that way since one caveman figured out how to get other cavemen to work for him. You don't HAVE TO work for someone else. You can come up with a business plan and go borrow money and take the same chances the wealthy do, because at one time many of them were not wealthy...like your precious Obama who is now a multi-millionaire talking about how rich people are bad. Admit it...it is jealousy. And what is this "at the expense of" routine? You can lay down and refuse to work if you want, but you will starve and you will be homeless. Know your place in society and all will be well with you.

13. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

Coolwalker, before I go farther...why do I put on kid gloves around you? Hmmmm.

Anyway...it was thousands of years before society progressed from Traditional to Market. Once that slide began humanity saw a rise in systems that were detrimental to a society of values.

Tell me...

1) Who do you spend more time with in this modern world? Your family or your coworkers? we're talking waking hours here
    2) Who did the ancient people spend more time with?
    3) Where do most affairs originate? In families that work at home like farmers or in families were people spend 40+ hours a week at the office?
    4) Can someone march off into the wilderness, pick a patch of land, cut lumber to build a house, forage and/or hunt for food?
    5) If you cannot do that see #4 then isn't a vital freedom taken away?

The modern greed driven world to me is the Anti-Christ. It is destructive to the family unit, it breeds dependence upon a "system", and is a destroyer of culture. Look at the posters on this board. They claim Christianity but are so hypnotized by the system that things like: the love of money is the root of all evil is largely ignored. They are actually telling me that greed is good.

I don't believe that. Family is good. Hugs from my kids is good. Greed hurts more people than it helps.

Johnny-C and (deleted member) like this.
  14. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

If the love of money is the root of all evil, why do many people want to take some of that evil money from others?

1) Who do you spend more time with in this modern world? Your family or your coworkers? we're talking waking hours here
    waking hours...I'd prefer my family, but schedules prevail and it ends up with my co-workers.
    2) Who did the ancient people spend more time with?
    probably with everyone...ancient covers a lot of ground
    3) Where do most affairs originate? In families that work at home like farmers or in families were people spend 40+ hours a week at the office?
    affairs...sexual I imagine...I don't have affairs so I don't really know
    4) Can someone march off into the wilderness, pick a patch of land, cut lumber to build a house, forage and/or hunt for food?
    not in the modern age, no, but here in America prior to the 1800's, yes
    5) If you cannot do that see #4 then isn't a vital freedom taken away?
    not really...there is no "freedom to take", that's stealing

15. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

As always with you, I shake your hand for the answers.

I don't want anyone's money. I think money is evil. I prefer the barter-trade system. I cannot fault you for your answers and thank you for providing them.

16. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Some people live in a soundbite world.

17. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

You are welcome (as always). many times people want answers but dislike the answers they are given. To me the truth can only be a one way street. The barter system is a good system. I used it in New Orleans when I lived there for a brief period of time, but there weren't that many people who were "members" of the guild. We had to get around the law by creating a guild. Banks won't let it take a foothold now...never on a grand scale, but form a guild where you live and make flyers with a web address so people can join...you trade (say) a years worth of haircuts for a new pair of shoes, etc, etc. It does work and these just might be the right time to try it.

18. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

The OP claims are pretty nebulous. Nowhere near as solid as the charges against Solyndra.

19. gophangover

That's really pitiful. The only ones jealous of the filthy rich, are the wanna be's. The 1% and the wanna be's always cry CLASS WARFARE when they are exposed for their filthy greed. "You shall know them by their fruits. A bad tree doesn't produce good fruit."

If republicans had a brain, they'd understand that the country knows they already did destroy America, in 1863, 1929, and 2007. Now don't you wish you would have finished sixth grade, Jethro? Oh yeah, it was seventh grade that was too much for you.

20. Unifier

Unifier New Member

There is no such thing as corporate greed. It is a liberal red herring designed to excuse the behavior of the spoiled and lazy. The modern definition of greed has been reduced to "anyone who seeks a profit and does not actively try to be poor."

With a loser mentality like that, it should be no surprise that so many people live below the "poverty line." They see having money as a bad thing. It's like contracting gonorrhea and making an identity out of it and then calling everyone else bad for not having it.

Enjoy your gonorrhea, liberals. I'm not interested.

21. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

You don't make a profit...well, ask Rick Wagoner.

22. CoolWalker

CoolWalker New Member

Something bad must have happened in your life to make you so angry at people you don't even know. I feel sorry for you.

23. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

And "Ayn Randtards" and believing that the energy market is anything like a free market or has been in decades.

24. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

Amen and Amen!! You NAILED IT!!

25. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

It's foolish that you believe that lie. Sad as hell. :(