Conservatives force gay Romney spokesman to resign

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by raytri, May 1, 2012.

1. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

Well done, conservatives. Way to show you aren't bigoted.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...conservatives/2012/05/01/gIQAccGcuT_blog.html

In the debate over gay marriage, conservatives who opposed gay marriage claimed they had nothing against gays, but were simply defending the "meaning" of marriage.

Now we have a case where a man who did nothing wrong except be openly gay has been forced to resign his position.

At least it's out in the open now.

What's doubly sad is that "respected Republicans" contacted Grenell to ask him not to resign. Good, as far as it goes. But did they stand up for him in public? No.

2. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

I don't see how having a gay spokesman is worse for evangelicals than wearing magic underwear, believing God actually had physical sex with Mary, or believing Jesus and Satan are brothers. I don't buy it at all. Something else shady was going on.

3. Not The Guardian

Not The Guardian Well-Known Member

Bullying occurs at all levels, it seems. Maybe he should change parties where he'll be appreciated.

4. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying you think Grinell must have done something else, because evangelicals wouldn't be opposed to him merely because he's gay?

5. Goldwater

Goldwater Well-Known Member Past Donor

I find it refeshing that at least some of them just admit that thinking about gay men kissing makes them feel icky.

It's way better tan all this "we don't hate gays, we just want to protect marriage"....or whatever other rationalization du jour they come up with for their filthy bigotry.

But I never fret...they'll have to explain all this to God someday when they meet him, and he won't believe thier BS, and denial won't be a safe place

6. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Wow! The full religious bigotry is in full swing with the Liberals.

7. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

Congratulations! With laser-like precision, you zeroed in on the one non-liberal posting in this thread, and misdentified their ideology. Superb!

FactChecker and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Liberals aren't the one's who rail about Mormons being non-Christians. Your Rightwing Evangelical buddies are the one's who do that as well as discriminating against gays.

9. Zosiasmom

I'm stating that Evangelicals are so anti-Obama they are willing to vote for Romney, a Mormon--even though years back Evangelical groups put out all this anti-Mormon literature with their beliefs in it. I can't believe that they will vote for someone who believes God had physical sexy times with Mary and that Satan and Jesus were brothers (ala Thor and Loki) who had a coin toss for who got to be Messiah and then say, but hold up! We can't have homosexuals in the campaign.

There is a different sort of scandal going on. Homosexuality is the excuse. I had some evangelical neighbors go off on Mormon kids, calling them the children of Satan. If they'll let that pass for Romney they would let him have a homosexual spokesperson.

10. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

Where did you find religious bigotry in Zosiasmom's comment? Can't we all take a step back from the silly political/partisan attack lines??

11. Goldwater

Pointing out bigotry is not neccessarilly bigotry.

12. Zosiasmom

It is when you're wrong about it being bigotry. I could care less about what religion you are a member of. I celebrate Brandon Flower's entire catalog and have every Jon Heder movie available. If I were concerned about the Mormons I wouldn't tacitly donate to them like that.

It's just more of that typing before you read someone's post fully.

13. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

From the OP : "I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team. "

What`s with all the wrist flapping and panty hose twisting then?

14. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

It might have been the gay community in an uproar.

15. Robodoon

Robodoon Banned

LOL, Romney is an Establishment pick. So is being gay. You don't understand. You are trying to do the PC thing. But I'll tell you, if Romney gets in its Obama the second.

We only get to pick from those who are picked for us by our destroyers. Romney is a Destroyer.

SAVE RON PAUL, and I knew this long ago. But if you have kids, you better support Ron Paul, or Romney will suffer your wonderful children.

16. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

The only one I see trying to foist the idea of a "full court press by anti-gay conservatives", is Jennifer Rubin.

The Romney campaign hired Richard Grenell, who had previously served as George W. Bush's spokesman at the United Nations, just two weeks ago, but his brief tenure had been the subject of controversy.

First, Grenell was criticized for posting a series of crude Twitter messages—that he later deleted—attacking several women, including Hillary Clinton, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow and Newt Gingrich's wife, Callista. He also reportedly came under fire from social conservatives for being gay.

In a statement to The Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin, Grenell implies that the controversy over his sexual orientation ultimately drove him from the campaign.

"While I welcomed the challenge to confront President Obama's foreign policy failures and weak leadership on the world stage, my ability to speak clearly and forcefully on the issues has been greatly diminished by the hyper-partisan discussion of personal issues that sometimes comes from a presidential campaign," Grenell said. "I want to thank Gov. Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/openly-gay-romney-aide-resigns-backlash-202151633.html

No such semtiment from the Romney campaign,as we can easily see....

17. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

That is despicable. The people who forced him out should be ashamed. Here was a profressional and intelligent individual willing to critique President Obama's foreign policy and help the GOP nominee win the election and he was pushed out by intolerant extremists. Glad to see that Romney and his staff did not make an issue of his sexuality. Sad that this had to happen.

18. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

Those are some king-sized blinders you're wearing there, Grok....

First, Rubin is a conservative. She's not some liberal throwing random darts at conservatives.

Second, Rubin cites sources.

If that's not good enough, how about this? Conservative Allahpundit over at Hot Air is -- eventually, grudgingly -- forced to agree:
    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/05/...policy-spokesman-for-romney-campaign-resigns/

(You'll need to actually read the Allahpundit post, because he starts out snarky, then posts several updates conceding that yes, Rubin is right).

Among the critics: Bryan Fischer (American Family Association), Tony Perkins (Family Research Council) and Gary Bauer and Dan Gainor of the Media Research Center.

Indeed, Bryan Fischer crowed that Grenell's dismissal was a "huge win" for the religious right:
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fischer-grenell-resignation-huge-win-religious-right

Good enough for you?

19. Goldwater

Jon Heder is a Mormon?

20. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why people give a (*)(*)(*)(*) what consenting adults do is beyond me.

I feel sorry for the GOP. Really, I do. The party of Goldwater has become a respite for religious fanatics seeking to regulate what adults do with their genitals.

Shame on you Mitt Romney for not standing up for your employee, for not convincing him to stay on, and for not telling those in your own party to go (*)(*)(*)(*) themselves as the man's sexuality should not matter. Grow some (*)(*)(*)(*)ing balls.

21. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

The man who resigned specifically did not place any blame on Romney and thanked him for his support. Perhaps you should let the man speak for himself.

22. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I am at a loss. I read the title yet find nothing in the blog post where it explains how he was forced to resign. Was it a gun to the head, threats to his family??????

or, is the OP simply starting yet another misleading thread?

23. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Or perhaps Romney could have just done the correct thing and convinced the man to stay on, critics be (*)(*)(*)(*)ed.

24. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

I must respectfully disagree. 'Disagreement with homosexuality' is a unifying issue for Mormons and Evangelicals. It's a case of 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend'. Don't underestimate the ability of an issue like homosexuality to make for strange bedfellows.

25. texmaster

texmaster Banned