Feckless Obama throws blind Chinese activist to the wolves

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Frogger, May 3, 2012.

1. Frogger

Frogger Well-Known Member Past Donor

While busily touting himself as the brave president who hunted down and killed Osama bin Laden, seemingly with his bare hands, our cowardly president has kowtowed to his Communist Chiese overlords, forcing blind, Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng to leave the safety of the American Embassy where he sought sanctuary.

Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng appealed to US President Barack Obama to help get him and his family out of China, saying he feared for his life just hours after leaving the US embassy in Beijing.
    "I would like to say to President Obama: please do everything you can to get our family out," Chen told CNN, according to a translation of his quote.
    He also accused US embassy officials of pushing him hard to leave the safety of the embassy on Wednesday where he had sought refuge for six days after fleeing his home in the eastern province of Shandong.
    "The embassy kept lobbying me to leave and promised to have people stay with me in the hospital, but this afternoon, as soon as I checked into the hospital room, I noticed they were all gone," Chen told CNN by phone.
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/china-activist-leaves-us-embassy-xinhua-075514246.html

President Barack Obama has become not only a national but an international embarrassment as he 'persuaded' Chen Guangcheng to leave the safety of the embassy. Has the man no shame? Has he no decency?

The American Embassy in China, as in any country, is American soil and our esteemed president has just removed a person seeking safety in what is internationally recognized as part of the United States so that he faces imminent danger to his life by an oppresive regime.

It is time to kick this most unpresidential president to the curb.

2. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

I figured that he would cave; I just didn't think that he would cave so quickly.

_

3. Iron River

Iron River Well-Known Member

Sorry, blacks hate the *****s, blind or not. We bring that guy and his family to the US and in a year some poor black gangster in east LA will be arguing with Chen's mother about the wade of cash that was in the pocket of his hoody when he left it to be cleaned. Still bloody and the money is gone - typical Chinese laundry.

Or like the China man owned restaurant in Houston who sneaks a tip in on the bill if you have a large party of black women and wild kids creaming and throwing food on the floor.

I'd have to side with Obama on this if it didn't make us look so weak and or indifferent to the suffering of other human beings around the world: Syria, Iran, China and his brother living in a mud hut.

4. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

Cowardice with a heaping spoonful of political calculation....

The 5% Asian-American voting bloc largely resides in Democrat held, non-swing states....
    They can be overlooked.

5. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Don't get involved in the ME, get involved in China.

6. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Interesting.

A lot of blame hurled at the president, yet no discussion of the ramifications of the alternatives.

Should we have simply ignored Chinese law? The guy was under house arrest. Do we get to pick and chose which dissidents that we help? Or which one of our alleged friends laws we follow? Should we have started an international incident by giving the guy sanctuary?

I do not think this is quiet the same as granting asylum to guys in the old USSR. There is much more involved, and we are much more vested in keeping China as a friend.

7. Leffe

Leffe New Member

An American domestic terrorist escapes and seaks refuge in the NK Embassy (no idea if there is one, don't really care), the American Right salute the NK's for their actions.

Or at least I presume this would happen.

8. webrockk

Chen Guangcheng organized a class action lawsuit that exposed forced abortions and sterilizations that officials in his community were performing in order to comply with China's one-child policy.

Hardly "domestic terrorism" there, Leffe....

9. Leffe

Leffe New Member

And how exactly is this any of your business? Why not take the same hard line with the Suadi's? Why do you inteferring planks need to get up into everyone else's (*)(*)(*)(*)?

You know what? I and the rest of the modern world find the death penalty abhorent! Do we have the right to intefere in US internal policy? Becuase if you have the right to get involved there, the rest of the world has the right to get involved in your business. But then you'll get all "USA USA USA" about it and we'll have laid bare your BS hypocricy.

So the message is stay out of other peoples (*)(*)(*)(*)!

10. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

Why get involved in either?

The most that we should get involved is trade. Whatever human rights issues a country has is their business, not ours.

11. Leffe

Leffe New Member

That was my point. It's internal business, being used by Righties to throw mud at Obama. Meanwhile, they want to stay out of random other things going on around the world.

12. webrockk

One guy exposed yet another in a long line of China's human rights abuses and is denied asylum for he and his family....who will all surely "disappear" now.

Before Obama, they would have been immediately welcomed with open arms....the same Obama, incidently, who jumped in Lybia and the "Arab Spring" with both feet.

13. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe on account this Country has a standing policy to defend the rights of those
    who feel human rights are being abused.China has a real problem with human rights.
    If it wasn't for 1989 and Tiananmen Square protests where the Chineese government
    decided to use force aginst protestors resulting in hundreds if not thousands
    of deaths,China would never have been put on Red Alert for actual Maoist-style
    use of Communism.Forgetting not the Millions {50 Million ? } who died under the
    * Mao thuggery.

* Under Mao's Communism there was monstrous famine {1958-60}
    due to his Industrialization Drive called >
    The Great Leap Forward.

14. Serfin' USA

As Leffe mentioned above, we're selective about where we get involved in political asylum cases.

That's been true long before Obama. Reagan was all about supporting Cubans fleeing Cuba but basically supported the apartheid regime in South Africa and Pinochet's oppressive rule in Chile.

It's basically impossible to get involved in every little human rights issue, and honestly, it doesn't much matter.

We need to stay out of all of these things.

15. Leffe

Leffe New Member

1) What business is it of yours?

2) Don't (*)(*)(*)(*) off the country which owns your debt.

Simple really. Well to most people.

16. Serfin' USA

There's no doubt that China has done a lot of awful things to its people, but do you really think either party cares that much? There was bipartisan support for making them "most favored trade nation" in the 90s.

We like to pretend that we're supportive of human rights, but we're very selective and inconsistent about it. We've alternated between supporting reformers and dissidents while supporting dictators in other areas.

It's pretty obvious human rights aren't really our agenda -- strategic influence and trade interests are. That's true of every nation, however.

There's no point in keeping up such a hollow facade.

17. Really People?

Really People? New Member

Not our business anyway...

18. webrockk

Yet more evidence that continuing the left's quagmire of fiscally unsustainable entitlement/dependency policies require fear and emotional extortion....

namely...."if you don't continue borrowing to provide welfare, health care, and social safety nets, the government dependent will rise up and commit crime and violence against you....
    and if you (*)(*)(*)(*) off those you're forced to borrow from to continue the charade, they'll call in their debt or declare war against you...."

A fine pickle free spending collectivists have gotten us into...

19. Serfin' USA

It's been more than the fault of leftists. Our foreign policy also drives up debts through the increasing costs of interventionism. Our military budget is massive and bloated. It may not cost as much as SS or Medicare, but it's still a huge chunk of the budget.

So, neocons share a lot of the blame in this.

20. MisLed

MisLed New Member

really. Well. the fact that he is pro-life might have a little to do with that heh?

So, what the hell is your concern over the trayvon martin matter.

21. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Orrrrrr, to pay for your bloated military? Successive POTUS' for decades (on both sides) have dug you into this mess.

22. Questerr

Questerr Banned

This is despicable. I have no doubt that Romney would do the exact same.

This only reinforces my belief that we should have zero economic or diplomatic links with dictatorships until they democratize. The only China that we should recognize is the RoC.

23. Questerr

Questerr Banned

BTW, where are all the Rightwingers from the Egypt thread who were telling me that sometimes its okay to support a dictatorship and its human rights violations if it serves our interests?

24. Questerr

Questerr Banned

And the Rightwing made it clear that they hate him for trying to help stop human rights violations.

So why should he give his opponents more ammunition by intervening into something they despise?

25. webrockk

"War time" military expenditures have been hovering between 700 and 800 billion a year.....Obama's last budget proposal was around 3.8 trillion....with about 1.4 trillion in deficit spending, every dollar of which requires borrowing (400 billion going to service the debt) or the whirring of inflationary printing presses.....

the lionshare of his budget going to redistributive social spending on individuals....an arena the *purportedly, constitutionally limited* federal government has no business being in the first place.