CEO caught lying on his resume

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CarlB, May 4, 2012.

1. CarlB

CarlB New Member

so much for the 1% deserving to have 86% of the world's money because they're so superior to the rest of us. Not only did this guy claim to have a degree that he didn't have, but his employer defended him afterwards! And people wonder why there are people protesting corporate America?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo CEO Scott Thompson caught padding his resume

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The proxy fight between Yahoo and activist shareholder firm Third Point just got extra nasty.

Third Point came out swinging late Thursday with an allegation that Yahoo CEO Scott Thompson lied about his college degree.

In a series of published biographical statements stretching back for years -- including his bio on Yahoo's website -- Thompson has said that he "holds a Bachelor's degree in accounting and computer science" from Stonehill College.

But his degree is actually only in accounting, a fact Third Point discovered and pointed out in a scathing letter to Yahoo's board of directors.

After the letter was released, Yahoo (YHOO, Fortune 500) sent out a statement saying references to Thompson earning a computer science degree were an "inadvertent error."

It's an error Thompson made repeatedly. References to Thompson's nonexistent computer science degree are featured in his bios on sites for PayPal, the eBay (EBAY, Fortune 500) subsidiary where he previously served as president.

Stonehill, a small Roman Catholic college in Massachusetts, also confirmed to CNNMoney that Thompson's only degree is in accounting.

Yahoo, which quickly stripped all references to Thompson's degree out of his official bio on Yahoo's website, said the error "in no way alters that fact that Mr. Thompson is a highly qualified executive with a successful track record leading large consumer technology companies."

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/03/technology/yahoo-thompson-education/index.htm?source=cnn_bin

2. coolguybrad

coolguybrad New Member

I assume since you despise such activity, you'll never do any type of business with yahoo or any of its subsidiaries again?

3. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

If the company chooses to overlook this then that is their right. Perhaps he has proven himself valuable to their business and they decided this wasn't as big as losing him.

Its ultimately their choice.

If I ran a business and had a very valuable employee I wouldn't care if he had lied on his resume.

4. CarlB

CarlB New Member

That's funny, since conservatives are always blabbing about how they have morals and principles.

5. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Bernie Madoff will hit you up for a job when he gets out of prison. He has a proven track record of managing large sums of money for wealthy people.

6. Bow To The Robots

Bow To The Robots Banned at Members Request

So what? Happens all the time.

7. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

At what point does it go from wrong to right to fire an employee for what might be a deliberate mistake on his resume even though he may be a great employee and create far more value than what it costs to employ him?
    Perhaps you can objectively define what that point is and explain your reasoning. Frankly, I think it's just envy eating you up, but I'm willing to entertain objective reasoning in your part.

8. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

He was breaking the law, that's different than lying on a resume.

9. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

Pretty stupid on his part. At the point that you are a CEO why bother keeping up the lie?

10. WatcherOfTheGate

WatcherOfTheGate New Member

People lie all the time. Non issue.

11. My Fing ID

Is to me because I try not to lie. Maybe that's why I'm where I am. Honestly gets you nowhere.

12. WatcherOfTheGate

I try to be as honest as possible as well but people lie. No big deal.

13. My Fing ID

I can't agree, I hate lying. I do my best not to do so and I wish others would do the same but I know they won't.

14. WatcherOfTheGate

You shouldn't worry about them and just take pride that you know you are a trustworthy individual.

15. My Fing ID

Pride doesn't get you ahead unfortunately. I don't disagree, I just find I hate humanity and lying is one major aspect as to why.

16. WatcherOfTheGate

I don't worry about getting ahead. I'm content knowing I'm a good person whether it gets me anywhere or not.

17. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but what's this nonsense about "trying not to lie?" I'm old and in my lifetime I have lied and I have told the truth. I never once tried to not lie. If I didn't want to lie, I simply didn't. So, please explain this apparent battle where you try not to lie but something forces you to.

A few years ago a woman who was a respected dean at a university was found to have lied on a job application thirty years before when she was a clerk applying for promotion. Over the years, she gained an international reputation in her field but when it was disclosed she had lied, she was fired. Personally, I think that was incredibly stupid.

18. JohnnyMo

JohnnyMo Moderator Staff Member Donor

It's a big deal and honesty get you nowhere?? Must be a typo