Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Media: Ron Paul delegate strategy is perfectly legitimate

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHeadKen View Post

You lie, as usual.
    nothing i've written is a lie

He doesn't need a majority.
    i didn't say he needs a majority, i said he doesn't have one and elections are designed for the one that gets a clear majority to win

look at history, especially in regards to the electoral college

Is my vote for President and Vice President meaningful in the Electoral College system?

Yes, within your state, your vote has a great deal of significance.

It is possible that an elector could ignore the results of the popular vote, but that occurs very rarely.

Your vote helps decide which candidate receives your state's electoral votes.

http://www.archives.gov/federal-regi...e/faq.html#270
    Last edited by dujac; May 06 2012 at 03:41 AM.

Can you explain why you think what's being done is antithetical to the libertarian movement? Libertarians abide by the Law, not the dictates of the political class. Civil disobedience is hardly antithetical to the fight for liberty. If anything it's part and parcel of the cause. It's antithetical to the statist Republicans who hold that the law is the law.
    Corney capitalists and the politicians in their pocket also abide by the law.
    Mens Sana in Corpore Sano

Quote Originally Posted by dujac View Post
    nothing i've written is a lie
    Fine then, I won't predict the future. I do not claim to be a psychic, as you apparently do. My prediction is that Romney will be soundly defeated by Obama as most of the Republican base stays home and hopes for better in 2016. Unless the economy tanks. However, QE has been in effect since October, pumping in $90 billion/month in new currency. That will continue through the election in order to prop up the fake recovery. That might last through the summer, though it's not looking good. Otherwise, we might be see a war started with Iran by the Nobel peace prize winner. Romney offers nothing that Obama doesn't, except that he's not Obama.

i didn't say he needs a majority, i said he doesn't have one and elections are designed for the one that gets a clear majority to win
    Right now we are concerned with what is, effectively, a parliamentary election. Parliamentary elections are designed to give minor factions a voice and if Romney does not have 50%+1 in the first round of voting, there will be further votes. Romney's delegates are only bound to him for the first vote. There are numerous things that can happen at a convention as various factions use parliamentary tricks to be heard. It's not like a general election where everyone just goes to the ballot box and puts a mark by their favorite person.

Ron Paul doesn't need to win to still score a major victory. He can parlay his factional power into structural changes within the Republican Party or create changes in the bylaws that allow more grassroots participation and a return to the principles that conservatives ostensibly subscribe to.

Parliamentary politics is not a winner takes all system as you believe it to be.

look at history, especially in regards to the electoral college
    If you were paying attention to this thread, you'd know that what we are talking about is the convention, which is where the delegates go to do the business of the party. That has nothing to do with electoral college or the general election.
    "The principle that the end justifies the means is, in individualist ethics, regarded as the denial of all morals. In collectivist ethics it becomes necessarily the supreme rule" -- F. A. Hayek.
    "A day, an hour, of virtuous liberty is worth a whole eternity in bondage" -- Joseph Addison's "Cato, A Tragedy" (1713)
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Corney capitalists and the politicians in their pocket also abide by the law.
    They do not abide by *the* law, just the body of law that is legislated statutes. They'd like you to think that there are no other laws.

I'm still waiting to understand why it is that you believe that using parliamentary procedures to alter a convention is "anti-thetical" to libertarianism. Have you seen what happened at the libertarian convention this weekend? There was a huge upset in the election of the national chair which was a result of using those procedures. A faction which has been growing in power and size for some time finally mustered enough votes to prevent either candidate from getting a majority and forced a new round of nominations. The old guard was almost entirely thrown out in favor of more populist candidates.

Reason magazine has been covering it.
    "The principle that the end justifies the means is, in individualist ethics, regarded as the denial of all morals. In collectivist ethics it becomes necessarily the supreme rule" -- F. A. Hayek.
    "A day, an hour, of virtuous liberty is worth a whole eternity in bondage" -- Joseph Addison's "Cato, A Tragedy" (1713)
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

5. Default

If you were paying attention to this thread, you'd know that what we are talking about is the convention, which is where the delegates go to do the business of the party. That has nothing to do with electoral college or the general election.
    if you understood the process you'd know that the candidate that gets the clear majority of votes is the winner

6. Default

Fine then, I won't predict the future. I do not claim to be a psychic, as you apparently do. My prediction is that Romney will be soundly defeated by Obama as most of the Republican base stays home and hopes for better in 2016. Unless the economy tanks. However, QE has been in effect since October, pumping in $90 billion/month in new currency. That will continue through the election in order to prop up the fake recovery. That might last through the summer, though it's not looking good. Otherwise, we might be see a war started with Iran by the Nobel peace prize winner. Romney offers nothing that Obama doesn't, except that he's not Obama.
    I fear the worst if Obama gets reelected. Our country will no longer be sovereign come 2016. Our country will be bankrupted before then if Obama is reelected.

Your wrong about Romney not being any different;
    Romney will drill for oil in the Gulf, Obama won't.
    Romney will drill for oil in Alaska, Obama won't.
    Romney will open up federal lands for shale oil, obama won't.
    Romney will work to change tax laws to get these rich companies like Apple to repatriate their money, Obama won't.
    Romney will work towards making it cheaper to do business in America making it more likely more companies will invest here, Obama won't.
    Romney will abolish Obamacare, Obama won't.
    Romney will work towards changing laws to at least make life uncomfortable for illegal aliens to remain in the US so they will self deport, Obama won't.
    Romney will close the border, Obama won't.

If you allow Obama to win by voting third party none of these things will occur and it will be your fault.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    I fear the worst if Obama gets reelected. Our country will no longer be sovereign come 2016. Our country will be bankrupted before then if Obama is reelected.

Romney will work to change tax laws to get these rich companies like Apple to repatriate their money, Obama won't.
    Romney will work towards making it cheaper to do business in America making it more likely more companies will invest here, Obama won't.
    Romney will work towards changing laws to at least make life uncomfortable for illegal aliens to remain in the US so they will self deport, Obama won't.

If you allow Obama to win by voting third party none of these things will occur and it will be your fault.
    It doesnt work that way, my vote represents me, and the things I want to happen in this country. If your boy cant win without my vote, thats his problem not mine. This team sport (*)(*)(*)(*) has to stop.

Romney can say he will do what ever, his actions tell me all I need to know. Skin pigment is all that separates them.
    12/7/41 - 9/11/01 - 11/4/08

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post

obama had plans too...look how those turned out...

if i had faith that romney would actually do all those things, i might just vote for him, but he's a typical politician, saying what needs to be said to get votes, and he's gotten yours for that reason. he's shown that he isn't a guy who can be trusted...and all that takes is the support of the media and the corporate powers, which he has, therefore he cannot be trusted.

i'll never trust a candidate that is propped up by anything other than the interests of the people. ron paul is the guy i think i can trust, even if he doesn't have all the answers, at least his attention and focus are on the right issues, and his priority is the people of this country.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Objectivism View Post

ron paul is the guy i think i can trust
    most voters don't agree with you

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dujac View Post
    most voters don't agree with you
    do you trust most voters? didnt think so
    do you think most voters are intelligent people, capable of making their own decisions? didnt think so

that's probably because the average person is a subjective thinker, meaning they think with something other than the rational area of their brain...

remember, most voters also voted for bush...and obama...

want to explain that? want to explain what makes other mainstream candidates any different?

advocating the bandwagon is probably the least intelligent thing a person can possibly do, but as a collectivist, which i assume you are, it should only come naturally
    Last edited by Objectivism; May 07 2012 at 03:25 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast