Detroit Tigers' Young apologizes after hate crime arrest

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DonGlock26, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Detroit Tigers' Young apologizes after hate crime arrest

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Detroit Tigers outfielder Delmon Young apologized on Friday for an incident that led to a hate crime charge against him for allegedly yelling anti-Semitic remarks during a scuffle with tourists in New York.
    Police say Young, 26, scuffled with four tourists from Illinois outside a hotel near Times Square early on Friday after the group gave money to a panhandler wearing a yarmulke.
    The baseball player is accused of yelling anti-Semitic remarks during the incident, but it was unclear at whom the remarks were directed, police said.
    Young has been charged with aggravated harassment, which is considered a hate crime, authorities said.
    The Tigers are playing the New York Yankees in a weekend series starting on Friday night.
    "I sincerely regret what happened last night," Young said in a written statement.
    He also apologized to everyone he "affected," which included the Detroit Tigers, the family of team owner Mike Ilitch, and the team's fans.
    "I take this matter very seriously and assure everyone that I will do everything I can to improve myself as a person and player," he added.
    The team said in a statement it was aware of the allegation against Young, but had no comment.
    "It would be inappropriate for us to comment further at this time. Per a provision in the Major League Baseball (MLB) Basic Agreement, any allegation that involves alcohol is referred to MLB's Employee Assistance Program," the team said.

http://news.yahoo.com/detroit-tigers-young-apologizes-hate-crime-arrest-005446983--mlb.html

Do you think he should be allowed to remain in baseball? Would a white player be allowed to stay? I have my doubts.

_

2. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

How can you post this OBVIOUS LIE! :roll:

According to YOU, I though blacks were "NEVER CHARGED for hate crimes"? Could the Donglock be mistaken?

3. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

How many of these racist Black youths were chargerd with hate crimes?

Hundreds of racist Black youths attack Whites at Wisconsin State Fair

[video=youtube;D4F8ob9nlfY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4F8ob9nlfY&feature=related[/video]

4. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

[video=youtube;W-R-lOGx3Mc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-R-lOGx3Mc[/video]

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of black boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family. Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

http://www.ohio.com/news/50172282.html

Can you believe that Dave?

_

5. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

Lots!

How is it that Righties are so abysmally ignorant? Do they NEVER bother to look at news beyond the initial Fox headline?

Here is one week later about the incident from your constantly repeated Right Wing Bogeyman story. Maybe you can read it if it is written LARGE!

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justic...air-mob-attack-Police-seek-hate-crime-charges

6. paco

paco New Member

What? No black sympathizers coming to the aid of this poor, oppressed black man who was so obviously railroaded by the White Bread system?

7. NetworkCitizen

NetworkCitizen New Member

All he did was yell remarks at the "victims"? If so, then it is a ridiculous charge. 1st amendment is not to be bent for touchy feely groups, like the always crying wolf while eating the sheep group in this instance.

8. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I don't like it. I don't like it when calling someone a racial slur is a crime. But calling someone any other insult isn't. I also know...that at times when people are angry...any words are used to hurt. A black person can get mad at another and call them "Cracker"...just cause its a hurtful insult. Or a white person my scream n****r, But these people might not be racist in the least. They could be just...angry.

These hate crime legislation is entirely unhealthy....making a society sick as so much obsession focuses on the the skin and not the crime...

9. paco

paco New Member

You can thank our Ball-less Leader Obama for passing that hate crime bill into law. You apparently didn't read the part where he got into a scuffle with the four victims...I mean, tourists. Obama's hate crime law says that if a racial slur is uttered during a physical confrontation, then that is a separate crime in its own right. Read about it.

10. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

^^^these^^^

If Young was charged with a crime merely for SAYING something, this is an odious bastardization of the rule of law, and a violation of the Constitution.

11. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Young's apparent problem is that he has never learned to control his emotions. I read some articles about him since I didn't know who he is. When he was in the minors he got suspended for 50 games because he tossed his bat at an umpire. He's about 26 years old and makes around $6 million a year. He's not that good of a baseball player.

If I was making $6 mil doing something that I wasn't very good at I would take every precaution I could to stay out of trouble. I certainly wouldn't be out drinking late at night and getting into altercations, for whatever reason.

I predict that Young will continue to act a fool, or at least continue to get himself into situations where he will appear to be foolish. And in the end he will wind up with nothing.

A basic rule of life is that if you don't get smart you will suffer.

12. Shangrila

Shangrila staff Past Donor

Thread closed.

Thanks
    Shangrila
    Site Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.