U.S. pressing UN Human Rights Commissioner to put off West Bank settlements probe

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Horhey, May 5, 2012.

1. Horhey

Horhey Well-Known Member

U.S. To Veto Palestinian Statehood Bid Despite "Overwhelming Intl Consensus"
    [video=youtube_share;5eyBEr3Qcpw]http://youtu.be/5eyBEr3Qcpw[/video]

The Obama administration "wants to postpone the establishment of the [human rights] panel to the latest possible date, hoping this will lead to the unofficial burial of the matter."

Palestinians dont have anything to offer the US so they dont have human rights. Ive been looking through the record and Israel provides massive services to Washington. Far more than most people realize.

2. Jango

Jango New Member

This would be example #...? of the United States doing this for Israel. I don't know how either country can talk without having their tongues wiggling about. They always speak about justice, and that of which is right for the people. Well, they're certainty not doing that, are they?

3. moon

moon Well-Known Member

4. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

They are BOTH the new nazi's

5. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Whilst doing the right thing, Obama motives are clear and selfish - not to rock the boat until elections. And after the election, Romney will continue doing the right thing, although now for the right reason. So, nothing will change for Palestine until Palestine itself change -there'll be no shortcut to the statehood.

6. moon

moon Well-Known Member

Fine. Marking Romney as the winner rates with the rest of the steaming tripe you forecast.

7. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

So much for Obama "being a muslim". If the muslims have not already tried to assassinate Obama they are certainly going to try to do it now.

Apparently Obama's speech in Cairo was all just talk. I hope the Nobel committee demands the return of that Peace Prize he was awarded.

[​IMG]

8. Horhey

Horhey Well-Known Member

Henry Kissinger is also a Nobel Peace Prize laureate. But as Night Ridder newspapers observed:

Night Ridder: Kissinger Leaves Legacy Of Pain, Suffering Around World

The motive for postponing the establishment of the human rights panel to the "latest possible date" is actually for "hoping this will lead to the unofficial burial of the matter."

9. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

It's sad that this is happening, but the UN is pretty inconsistent about human rights in general. They put Iran on a Women's Rights Commission, for example.

I think the UN and the US need to drop the facade of fighting for human rights. We know that no nation truly cares about that. It's about money. It always is.

10. klipkap

klipkap Well-Known Member

There is. Israel took a short-cut to statehood in May 1948 and 'Murka was OK with that. Ya needs some History, Dutch.

11. klipkap

If true that means that under his smiling veneer of 'the educated reasonable man' hides a typical Republican bigot!! SHAME!!
    If that comes about then 'Murka will become the newest Pariah; not as bad as the Third Reich as some try to make out (in my opinion), but on its way, and slowly pressing the pedal to the metal.

If this why the loonies (?) fly planes into tall twin 'Murkan buildings?

12. klipkap

If true that means that under his smiling veneer of 'the educated reasonable man' hides a typical Republican bigot!! SHAME!!
    If that comes about then 'Murka will become the newest Pariah; not as bad as the Third Reich as some try to make out (in my opinion), but on its way, and slowly pressing the pedal to the metal.

If this why the loonies (?) fly planes into tall twin 'Murkan buildings?

13. Serfin' USA

What, you think we're the only country that blocks internationally popular movements?

Take a look at the things that Russia and China have blocked.

This isn't a "Murka" thing. It's a "self-interest" thing. The UN Security Council is a joke, just like the UN itself is. When you have so many competing interests always fighting each other, the net result is just the same old bull(*)(*)(*)(*).

Like I said, if we'd all just drop the facade of giving a (*)(*)(*)(*) about human rights, then we could face the harsh reality that countries act in their self-interests regardless of the moral implications. This is true of every country, not just America.

14. klipkap

I don't agree with you that three wrongs make a 'right'. I never will. It is a very selfish reasoning.
    But I do agree with you, Serfin' USA, there are in reality only two options:

1) The option that tries to prevent wars and oppression, and does things via conviction and agreement. That is exactly why the UN came into being after World War 2. When the bulk of the parties don't agree with what you want, then there are indeed times when you will suck the hind mammary, and the selfish ones with big egos obviously find this to be less than perfect. It is the only real option for avoiding bloody noses .... often.

2) The other is to do things 17th-18th Century style and to use brute force combined with threats and allegiances. That way the strong with big egos are more likely to get their ways. But they will suffer the plight of the bully in the schoolyard. One day someone else will become bigger, and say "Hey you .... we bought all of these IOUs of yours. Pay back half .... NOW." And the ego will take a huge dump. In fact I suspect that that day is just around the corner.

Also, in the meantime, dissatisfied less muscular schoolboys will find ways to get back at you for being selfish and ego-bloated. They will connive against you; steal your stuff; hurt your friends which you will steadily lose; snap at you like jackals; make you bleed from a thousand little wounds like the Vietcong and Somalis did, and the Taliban are now doing. And then they will take these tactics into your own backyard, and will fly planes into tall twin buildings; drop pink stuff into open reservoirs; sabotage off-shore oil wells; import suitcases containing complicated switch-gear onto dark beaches on moonless nights; and act as the modern day equivalent of the 'injun' who acquired repeater rifles. And they will hurt you. And you will feel lots of pain. And your grand children will ask you why. And when you explain to them, you will see pity cross their small faces.

I have made my choice. It seems that so have you. Good luck :wink:

15. Serfin' USA

Your reasoning seems to assume a certain level of decency among governments. Historically, I see little evidence of that.

To me, there is only one choice. The differences in approach are only nuances rather than divergences. We're currently pretending that our decisions have some moral underpinnings, but the facade is paper thin. It's about self-interests and always has been. I see no rational reason to assume this will be different in the future, because human nature hasn't changed any since our beginning.

Some countries have made social progress, and technological progress has been steady, but when it comes to foreign relations, war has lessened out of self-interest -- not out of morality. This still leaves room for things like Palestine's struggle.

moon and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Horhey

Horhey Well-Known Member

This is why people and the media especially, should almost always dismiss what politicians say because they often do the opposite. Declarations of benign intent by leaders are predictable and they offer no evidence. You always have to pay attention to what they actually do. If more people did that they wouldnt be able to get away with it.

17. Horhey

Horhey Well-Known Member

18. Jango

Jango New Member

There should be a history thread of the times the US has vetoed stuff or saved them from the UN.