Clooney fundraiser for Obama could be a record $12 million

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by exotix, May 7, 2012.

1. exotix

exotix New Member Past Donor

May 10 dinner at Clooney’s Studio City, Calif., home has sold out at 150 guests, who are expected to jointly contribute between $5 million and $6 million toward Obama’s reelection effort ...

George Clooney Fundraiser Expected To Raise Record $12 Million For Obama Campaign

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...er-for-obama/2012/05/04/gIQARwwn1T_story.html

With The Hollywood Reporter citing sources saying that the campaign expects to have raised as much as $6 million more in online donations, which were solicited as part of a nationwide contest to win a ticket to the dinner ...

A haul of $12 million would arguably make the soiree the biggest single presidential fundraising event in U.S. history.

Campaign sources are throwing cold water on the estimated total from Internet contributions, however, as being too high.

The Obama campaign declined to comment.
    Demand for tickets to the Clooney event was so intense that organizers attempted to limit attendance to residents of Southern California, the Hollywood paper reported.

The frenzy of interest echoes Obama’s record-breaking fundraising effort in 2008, when massive rallies and donor events became routine.
    Obama is particularly focused on donors in the entertainment and technology sectors this time around because of his troubles raising money on Wall Street.

But the Clooney event also comes amid escalating attacks from Republicans on Obama’s celebrity status.

American Crossroads, a conservative group advised by GOP political guru Karl Rove, released a web video last week mocking Obama's “cool” reputation as representing style over substance.

“After four years of a celebrity president, is your life any better?” the ad asks, as Obama is shown hugging late night TV host Jimmy Fallon.

The 2008 Republican nominee, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), tried a similar line of attack in the last presidential race.

The Clooney event is just one example of the Obama campaign’s aggressive and often creative fundraising tactics, from dinners with the president to ads featuring the family dog, Bo.

The campaign relentlessly publicized an “Obama, Clooney and You” fundraising contest that ended Monday, bombarding supporters with e-mails, text messages and tweets urging them to donate $3 or more and sign up for a chance to attend the dinner.
    (Like all such political contests, participants do not actually have to give money to enter the raffle.)

“By pitching in before midnight, you’ll automatically be in the running to join me and George Clooney at his place on May 10th,” Obama said in an e-mail to supporters on Monday.
    “It’s not often I can get away from work, so I look forward to spending a fun evening in L.A. with a couple supporters like you.”

Most of those in attendance will give a lot more than $3, however: Up to $40,000 per person to Obama’s campaign and related political committees.

If all 150 guests give the max, the total would hit $6 million.

In addition to stumping for Obama, Clooney is a regular celebrity presence in Washington and has become a key activist in connection with the emerging humanitarian crisis in South Sudan.

Romney is hosting his own series of fundraising events in an attempt to catch up with Obama, who had 10 times as much cash on hand at the end of March.

The Romney campaign expects to post strong fundraising numbers for April, however, which is when the former Massachusetts governor became the presumptive Republican nominee.

George Clooney and Barack Obama campaign together over the Darfur crisis in 2006, since when the actor has offered his support to the president.

[​IMG]

2. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

Well I plan to vote for the republicans but kudos to Mr. Loony for successfully supporting his candidate.

Not exactly sure what your point is here though.

I liked your hindenburg thread much better :)

3. exotix

Yeah the Hindenburg Thread was getting kudos from both sides of the fence ... bump it for me would 'ja ?

[​IMG]

4. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Celebrity president?

Aren't all presidents celebrities?

5. exotix

Conservative ones are more of celebrity despots ...

6. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

I can't think of a single president who hasn't been a "celebrity".. Clinton, Papa Bush, Dubya, Reagan..

The list goes on.

Sounds like a very stupid campaign ad.

7. BringDownMugabe

BringDownMugabe Well-Known Member

I just have to chuckle at the clueless conservatives who attack Obama for being a "celebrity." They do realize their messiah was a freaking actor, right?

8. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Thanks for letting us know liberal jack offs are attempting to BUY the election!