Analysis finds Wisconsin’s Act 10 saving taxpayers big

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Professor Peabody, May 24, 2012.

1. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Saved taxpayers more than a billion dollars. In this bad economy Democrats in control of states will have to decide. Who goes under the bus, public service unions and their lucrative pensions and benefits or their poor, uneducated, government dependent voter base. Their constituents will be clamoring for the same reforms. It looks like Walkers plan is not only working but the good folks of Wisconsin is having the time to see the sky won't fall if the Unions are reigned in a bit. Their property taxes have been held or lowered in the process. One of the few breaths of fresh air in our stale, stagnant Obamanomics economy.

2. Cubed

Cubed Well-Known Member Past Donor

hrm, tried to find some research on this Beacon Hill Institute, but haven't been able to find anything that seems unbiased.

Any back up links to something with an unbiased credibility?

3. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Beacon Hill Institute, a prominent free market think tank."

Let's take a look at BHI, shall we?

Statement of Mission

Grounded in the principles of limited government and fiscal responsibility, the Beacon Hill Institute engages in rigorous economic research and conducts educational programs for the purpose of producing and disseminating readable analyses of current public policy issues to voters, taxpayers, opinion leaders and policy makers.

Receives funding from

The Castle Rock Foundation which funds just about every right-wing think tank out there.
    Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation - far right-wing funding source with links to the Koch Brothers

Yeah, BHI is a REAL reliable source.

4. Professor Peabody

You guys are just too funny, full of baseless allegations with no links to any proof.......as usual.

The Unions are all done in Wisconsin. Walker will be re-elected and the Unions will have to take what they get. The should have negotiated BEFORE it went this far. But alas, their leadership was just too full of hard headed jackasses and they not only screwed their membership but wasted millions of their dollars on a losing cause. That's not representation, just a good old fashioned screwing. Hopefully the Unions in other states will see the handwriting on the wall and negotiate, nutting up and getting stubborn will only get them their own Act 10.

5. Cubed

Uh, I'm pretty sure that your the one who posted the news story. I've never heard of the institute until now so I went and looked around for it and couldn't find anything that didn't smack of bias. If I'm wrong, find something more reputable. You posted the story, back it up. The onus isn't on me to support your credibility.

6. Professor Peabody

If your biased yourself your view WILL be different. I could care less what you consider a reliable source or not. I made my point with a source if you disagree, prove me wrong. It's not that hard a concept. I do believe I read a post where you cited stink progress, so your hardly in a position to ask me for more reliable sources. Prove me wrong.

There's a storm coming in for Public Service unions, they do well to seek some shelter and negotiate or get blown away like the Unions in Wisconsin.

7. Cubed

Wow, Thanks Yoda. Got any more inane platitudes? :rolleyes:

8. Professor Peabody

So ya got nuthin that says my source is wrong?

9. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

That's where you and the other libs come in, isn't it?

If you don't like his numbers let's see yours.

10. Cubed

I wasn't disputing his numbers, just the place he got them.

Anyway, I don't doubt that with all the cuts he has made, he has saved that much. Whether those cuts are good for WI is another beast entirely. Here's a local take on it
    http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/article-17165-walkers-policies-are-killing-wisconsins-economy.html

looks like both sectors are taking it from this.

11. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yeah, Scott Walker is a REAL winner...

Slipped into Gov. Scott Walker's 2011-2013 budget at the last moment, the domestic production tax credit will cost the state $360 million in revenue over the next four years and some $130 million each year thereafter, according to the non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau. Critics warn the impact could be even greater, a key point in a state still struggling with budget shortfalls.

The credit applies to profits derived from manufacturing or agriculture and is available both to corporations and shareholders of limited liability companies, S corporations or others who report business income on their individual tax returns.

As a result, top bracket taxpayers could see their state income tax rate fall from 7.75 percent to less than zero by 2016, when the credit fully kicks in. That's because any unused credits can be counted against other income, like stock dividends, and carried over for up to 15 years.

The production tax credit was just one of the "gifts" in the budget approved by Walker and the Republican-controlled Legislature last June. Most, if not all, are targeted at corporations, investors, upper-income residents and campaign contributors.

Combined, they will reduce state revenues significantly. Making up the difference, opponents argue, will be average Wisconsin families.

In a report released this week, the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign calculates the decrease in state revenues will cost the average family of four $235 in higher taxes beginning in 2013 and nearly $300 by 2021 if all the credits and incentives are fully implemented. Those figures were gathered by dividing the amount of the tax cuts by the state's population.

Meanwhile, despite strict revenue limits and controversial cuts in school aid, property taxpayers statewide saw just an $11 average reduction in their December 2011 bills.

At the same time that the Walker budget cuts taxes for upper-income residents, it stings lower-income filers by making cuts to the earned income tax credit and the homestead tax credit.

Read more: http://host.madison.com/ct/business...44a-11e1-a1b6-001a4bcf887a.html#ixzz1vlmDY5Dc

He may survive the recall, but his rubber-stamping Senate won't.

12. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Express Milwaukee is more biased than BCI, since BCI provided more than simple opinion of job losses.

In this State, public sector jobs were SAVED because of Walker's reforms. That is because the school districts that employed his reforms saved enough to hire additional teachers.

The only notable school district exceptions? Milwaukee Public Schools, and Racine Unified.

The two major districts that quickly pushed through union-negotiated contracts BEFORE Walker's reforms empowered each district to independently negotiate with the unions, and abandon their forced WEA Trust Union Insurance package.

Walker is doing a fantastic job in Wisconsin, and Barrett is going to go down worse than he did the first time. I predict 54%-46%, as I've predicted all along.

13. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Why do you think it's valid to criticize the OP's source as biased, but then offer a source more biased that it was?

14. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

this would be funny except that the dems insistence on the do over election cost the taxpayers more than Walker saved. Not to mention the millions in workers pension funds that was squandered on it.

15. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Walker has already saved Wisconsin taxpayers ~ a billion dollars - and that's in less than a year.

This recall - as stupid as it is to squander money on it - will cost the Wisconsin taxpayer about 20 million at most.

16. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

This is why Walker will win. The taxpayers see a huge benefit to them.

Comprehensive right-to-work in 2013 for Wisconsin.

17. Professor Peabody

Way too funny. Speculation vs real $1 Billion in savings. Did they channel Saul Alinsky with a Ouiji Board for those numbers? :shock:

Talon and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Montoya

Montoya Banned

What a completely partisan and right wing biased "article".

19. Professor Peabody

From your point of view it would be.

20. Montoya

Montoya Banned

Well I cannot advance to page 2 on this thread for some weird reason. So I guess Im out of this thread.

21. Professor Peabody

You are on page 2.

22. Professor Peabody

Anything that doesn't agree with him is biased.

23. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

It's your liberal reality filter. It won't allow you to accept truth cookies.

24. Professor Peabody

DNC Chair Downplays Wisconsin Recall Election

Guess the polling is looking bad for the Democrats. When they trundle out Poodle head on C-SPAN’s Newsmakers to mitigate the impact when Walker wins, they know already. It's called throwing in the towel.

25. Cubed

From the looks of it, if Walker can hold this pace, he is going to take it. His 'lay low and wait' strategy seems to be working. Stay out of the public as much as possible so as to avoid any serious gaffs. Silly of the WI Demo party to push a candidate with so much baggage.