You Won't Believe What Sways Your Vote!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, May 27, 2012.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

You Won't Believe What Sways Your Vote!

Compuserve | 05/26/2012

“You may think you're casting your vote for the candidate that best represents your political, economic and social views, but it could be something else that attracts you to that individual: the tenor of his or her voice. Voters prefer candidates with a deeper voice, reports the BBC News of a study from the University of Miami and Duke University.

This isn't a new finding. Previous research has shown that the pitch of a person's voice can strongly influence how he or she is perceived by others. But how does the human voice affect how we choose our leaders?

The study: Led by Casey Klofstad of Miami and Rindy Anderson of Duke, the team made recordings of 17 female speakers and 10 male speakers saying "I urge you to vote for me this November."

They then electronically altered the pitch of the voices to create pairs, so one was higher and one lower than the original. Both were then played to volunteers - the "voters"- in the study.

The results: After listening to the recordings, the volunteers were more likely to "vote" for the candidate with the deeper voice. And this held true whether the speaker was a man or a woman. In fact, women with lower voices were perceived to be stronger, more trustworthy and more competent than those whose voices were higher.

Guess what? Political candidates already know this and regularly use vocal coaches to enhance their electability. "What we have done is proven the folk wisdom that the structure of the human voice
    matters and actually shown that scientifically," Klofstad told the BBC.

"It's clear that our voices carry more information than the words we speak," Anderson explained. ‘Knowing this can help us understand the factors that influence our social interactions and possibly why there are fewer women elected to high-level political positions’."

http://netscape.compuserve.com/whatsnew/default.jsp?story=20120526-0600

If we are in the jungle and hear the roar of a lion, or the chatter of a bonobo chimpanzee, which sound will elicit a stronger effect? The voice, while it does have some qualities to it, is not as effective in a conversation with a candidate for any office who is giving good, well thought out replies to the person’s questions, is focused on the issues and has the ability to answer questions unrehearsed, and with sincere conviction will be the winner.

In the upcoming presidential election, as the two contenders square off, polishing their turds and ready to hurl them at each other, we will see that I am right, it will have little to do with the timber of one’s voice that will decide an election...it is what that particular voice is saying that will register immediately with the populace.

Thus, though the lion will be louder, bigger, is fearful, and has a bigger SuperPac, the smaller chimpanzee gives a more comprehensive expression of the good he will do for the country, the empathy he projects toward the elderly, poor, disabled, and the ill and how his administration will do the most for them and the young.... the two most vulnerable sections of our society.

In fact, the more successful we are, the more responsibility we have to help others that may be in need. The quality, timber of his voice has little to do with what the candidate's agenda would be.

"I stand by what I said, whatever it was!"...Willard "Mitt" Romney