Do you like soccer?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by MarquesDeCaceres, Jun 13, 2012.

1. MarquesDeCaceres

MarquesDeCaceres New Member

Come on come on, tell me!! Im a really fan of soccer (I know I have to say it like this cause its different of football, as we call it in Europe), I support FC Barcelona since I was almost born :razz: and Liverpool, due to my british mom.

Anyway, now the Eurocup is starting, I hope my country wins again! we won last time with Fernando Torres goal. Let me know your opinions!

2. arjay

arjay New Member

Absolutely love soccer, but hate to tell you that Germany is the team to beat in the Euro Cup this time around!

3. MarquesDeCaceres

MarquesDeCaceres New Member

Absolutelly true, and even I don't like at all Italy, be careful with them!

4. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

There's too much ponce-like Barcelona play in these Euros. Makes Rugby League look even more exciting

5. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

They certainly are doing Holland over. However, I backed them at the last World Cup and look where that got me. I hope the Dutch stage a second half come back.

Edit] Yey...Holland scored.

6. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

I hope you win too. Spain should have won a major long before they did, we were all waiting for it to happen for them.

7. frodly

frodly Well-Known Member

See my avatar. As far as the Euros go, I still have Spain as the favorites, because when it comes down to it, Germany will have the same problem beating Spain that they had at the last 2 major tournaments. If they never have possession, how will they score? I think Germany need to hope some one upsets Spain before the final. That is not to say Germany have no chance, but I just think ultimately Spain are a bad matchup for them.

Oh, and as a sort of Liverpool supporter, how do you feel about Brendan Rodgers?

8. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Rodgers is a twot for going from success to eventual disappointment.

9. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I love it

It just ticks me off that I need watch games from other countries to see quality football

I stopped going to games of the national team. It really frosted it when the ex coach (bradley) would play his son as center mid and he was pathetic. I'd shell out over $300 to take my kids to a match (including snacks) just to watch them give up 5 goals to Mexico !!!!!!

No sir, they are going to have to start playing quality football before I drop another dime on that team

one of the richest nations and with over 300 million people and we can't find 18 brilliant players.............

10. Windigo

Windigo Banned

Cant stand it. My European friends tried to tell me that it was because I didn't understand the intricacies of the game. I said that we have an expression for that in America "inside baseball" yet baseball is still boring.

11. arjay

arjay New Member

Czech Republic 1, Poland 0
    Greece 1, Russia 0
    The Czech's & the Greeks advance, while Russia goes home! The Greece win over Russia is a pretty big upset, Russia just needed a tie to advance. The Greeks reward is a likely match up with Germany in the knockout round.

12. arjay

arjay New Member

Back in 1994, when the U.S. host the World Cup. I thought that before long, the U.S. would be a soccer powerhouse & a contender in the W.C. - Boy was I wrong! When the U.S. struggles with the likes of Guatemala(no offense, but a 1-1 tie?) in a W.C. qualifier, gimme a break!

13. Flag

Flag New Member

Tomorrow Portugal vs Holland. It will be a great game, I wont miss it.

14. arjay

arjay New Member

It's not going much out on a limb to say that if Holland goes home without a point(3 losses!), it would be a national tragedy!

15. Flag

Flag New Member

Because of that I believe they will put a big effort.
    Also because i'm portuguese and we put big emotion in football i believe tomorrow it will be stressing.

16. arjay

arjay New Member

I'll be cheering for Portugal. I always cheer for Portugal. Why? I dunno, probably 'cause I like Christiano Ronaldo, but I wish he'd get off the schnied & put the ball in the net!

17. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Hardly surprising , since the British invented Baseball as an easier option than Cricket -- far too complex for many people and totally unsuited to the stereotypical American character with low attention span .

18. Up On the Governor

Up On the Governor Well-Known Member

Love to play it, but I do not watch it much. Growing up I was a fan of Newcastle United in the EPL, so I still retain a soft spot for them. Even though they got relegated years ago. I will also try to catch some of the World Cup. USA! USA! USA!

19. Up On the Governor

That must explain our penchant for golf. Go (*)(*)(*)(*) yourself.

20. arjay

arjay New Member

Finally, one in the back of the net!!!

21. Up On the Governor

If you are an American, why would you pull for any other country's team?

22. Paris

Paris Well-Known Member

It's called "futebol" in Portugese. The next World Cup will be staged in Brazil, it should be fun. Brazilians are amazing players and great fans.
    Their national hymn brings back so many happy memories, I would cheer them up even if they were marching on us.

23. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Rodgers is a very clever young Manager with a first rate CV
    The whole world of Football knows his true worth even if it has not trickled through to our pseudo Economists .His biggest worry is John Henry and the other American owners and hangers on .
    The evidence suggests that the likely approach to club system structure will cause huge strains .
    Like most American invasions , the details do not seem to have thought through .

24. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Yeay yeah it's about money with athletes and there's more money here for am football, basketball etc .............I'll never understand though why Americans will endure boring baseball but won't watch soccer

25. Up On the Governor

Personally, I enjoy baseball because it is relaxing. Slow-paced for a nice summer afternoon of sitting on my deck and drinking a beer. I will not watch soccer because (a) I have no primary interest in it, (b) it is hardly ever broadcasted here, and (c) our teams are like AAA teams for international teams, or where internationally renowned players go to die instead of retiring. We have enough sports to watch here, so it is hard to generate a market for soccer too. Also, the MLS season runs through the peak of the NBA and NHL seasons, as well as March Madness and the MLB season and playoffs.