Turkey Waging "Art War" To Repatriate Antiquities:

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by janpor, Jul 20, 2012.

1. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Turkey Battles to Repatriate Antiquities:

No, just no.

Thoughts?

2. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Just to make things clear,...

I mean -- guys? Where does it end? Maybe next, the Italians can "demand" all of their treasures that their ancestors built in Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Lybia, etc...

And even they would have a "bigger right" for those objects to be returned since Italians are still Italians. T

urks are not the people who lived in what we nowadays call "Turkey" back in the day all of those treasures were crafted and built.

It is not because I move into a new house, I suddenly have a right on all the belongings of the previous inhabitant...

Hello, this is just Turkish Nationalism gone bonkers, yet again!

I have nothing against Turkey, except for all the "muscle rolling" -- the "machismo": if you don't do what we want we will do this/that.

Geeez.

This a real problem with Turkey in general... which is why I'm slowely chaning my mind if it would be such a good idea for Turkey to join the EU in the decades the come... It seems that "comprimise" and "restraints" are two concepts not to be found in a Turkish dictionary :thumbsdown:

3. haydar

haydar Member

What an empty idea.

First, this is an international law and all wrold countries agreed on this law. This law is to block the thieves.
    Hence this is an international law, Turkey %100 right to use this law.

Law is clear: All Artifacts have to showen in the home lands, not at the thief hands. Milions of Tourists are coming and traweling the artifacts in Turkey in Ephesus, Side (Antalya), Troya (Canakkale) and in many others. People also can see the ruins and can feel the atmosphere in home lands. In Troya they can look to see like Troyans were looking. I think It is much more better to see them in ''British Museum'' under the spots.

Artifacts are own to wrold, If they are shown in Anatolia this doesn't mean they are own to Turkey. I beleive they have to shown in the born places.

Before to criticize Turkish Minister to follow the laws, you can start to criticize British Museum not to give half of the Museum to Greece.
    Let's forget Turkey and Anatolia, first let's give the Greek Monument which are own to georaphically and also as nationally to Greeks. Why you don't say anything about thieves in western Countries and you criticize Turkish Cultural minister to follow the law.

Janpor it is not bad, you can say you hate ''Turks'' instead of to try the ways to say this. it is ok and actually they will not care too much for this...

4. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

I wonder what made you think I hate Turks, bro?

5. haydar

haydar Member

Turkey's aplication to take Artifacts back according to a law, you bring the issue to below.

''Hello, this is just Turkish Nationalism gone bonkers, yet again!''

Let's say that you hate Turkey (state), not Turks. I don't have anything aganist this, states always have enough resons to hate.
    My problem in this forum, many people open topics just to show anger to Turkey or Muslims. But even there are hundreds of reasons actually they are not succsseful to find these reasons.
    Because their hatred is not related with these reasons, they also know many other Europeans country doing the same things. I can't say you are from these people however your this post could be example to this.

You criticise Turkey to follow a law which is maden by western Europeans...

If you were writing below comment, I can't say another thing except to say I agree with you.

''Turkey is asking Artifacts back on the other hand hundereds of Islam Artifacts which is stolen by Ottoman Sultans from Mekka and Medina (such as sword of Muhammed e.g is shown in Topkapi Museum)
    Why Turkey don't give back them to S.Arabia first.''

I hope I could explain reasons, and difference.

6. Breath

Breath Active Member

Haydar eventhough I think you're right on the quote above, speaking for Europeans, Janpor is the last person on this forum you can accuse of "hating Turks".

7. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

Attempts to recover lost national treasures are hardly a uniquely Turkish endeavor. Many countries attempt to recover artifacts that were stolen from tombs or improperly exported from the country.

8. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

9. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

I guess you need to read-up on Christian history -- especially in the scope of South Eastern Europe.

I hope you realize that Istanbul was once called Constantinopel, named after it's founder, Emperor Constantine -- who moved his court from Rome to Constantinopel.

Constantinopel, in Latin is called "Nova Roma" -- where the Church took "office".

The Curch, as you call it, isn't called the "Roman Catholic Church" by coincidence...

Indeed, multiple schims and other sorts of nasty bussiness followed.

Hence, "Christian Orthodoxy" -- is basically "real Christianity".

Indeed -- we now enter a world mostly unknown to Americans, I'm sure -- we learn this stuff in high school, Don.

The Greek language always had a high status -- indeed, even during Roman times, Greek was considered the "scientific language".

The Roman Empire, which only dissappeared in 1453, became completely "Greekified" -- and it battled with "Rome" to be the true centre of Christianity and have "universal jurisdiction over all Christians".

Indeed, what we all know as the "Eastern Orthodox Church" is, in fact -- in 2012 -- still called the "Orthodox Catholic Church" headed by the Patriarch.

(BTW -- Turkish nationalim gone bonkers yet again: the Patriarch must be a Turkish citizen, the Patriarch of the Roman Church is a German as you might know.)

Sorry, but the "Church" you are referring too (the Roman Church) -- has no claim whatsoever on the Hagia Sophia.

You seem to know nothing about Christian history, Don -- e.g. understanding of "Pentarchy" is crucial in all of this.

10. haydar

haydar Member

Hagia Sophia is a museum, thanx to secular regime of Turkey It transformed from mosque to museum.

Many times radicals protested in Turkey the museum to be transformed to mosque again as some radicals protest it to be church again.
    It is strange that even Ottoman Sultans respected to figures of Christianity and instead of to damage them they just covered the figures and put Islamic figures on it. If we still we can talk about a church this is because of this and because of secular Turkey.

11. haydar

haydar Member

Thanx for explanation, some people need it.

How I don't want to see Islamic people doing lobbies and have political power, I also don't want to see in my country priest with political power and doing lobby.
    On the other hand I respect that the cemetery and some close churches have to be open. The problem there cemetery don't accept to be own to Turkish Education system, they want to be free religional school and don't want to be controlled like other Universities here. Turkey doesn't allow a free religional school because of secular rules. It is not allowed for an free Islamic University too here so the situation is equal.

Pentarchy has to be Turkish citizen. It is the same in Greece General Imam of the community has to be Greek Citizen. The situation is worse there the Muslim Turkish community can't choose always whoever they want, people send by goverment sometimes.

I am not a side in the Pentarchy issue however the theseis of Turkey ''While Turkish Community is suffering in Nort tharace how Greece is asking to open a totally free priest school in Turkey and how i ll explain this to my citizens''

As a free person I don't agree but if I was politician (I never choose this) I can understand this reason even I am not agree.

12. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

13. haydar

haydar Member

They are own to the wrold!

On the other hand untill when Europe started to hug ''Greece''?
    When to save Greece it is sick man and when steal the Antiquites it is Europe?

England (British Museum), USA Museums, and other museums must give back the Antiquies to Greece and Turkey immediately. Otherwise stealeing can't be stopped.
    I will not discuss about Turkey - Mongolia event, that you say always like to be Mongol is an ashame, that i don't think any nation is superior than another one.
    On the other hand you are so far to topic to understand why Turks of Turkey are different from Mongolians that's why i even don't try to explain to you...

14. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

to turkey? why? what kind of connection you have to those Antiquies ? i was in turkey and i know your opinion about Anatolian past , your guides explained me perfectly . and when you ask about reparation how can you avoid questions about the Pontic genocide?

15. haydar

haydar Member

Turkey is paradase of cheap trawel so probably you was in an organisation of a cheap tour and so a fake guide. Anyway i don't know what guide said to you but Turkish people mostly respect to this ruins, and museums with antiques are full of Turkish people, these are own to wrold how a 1000 years old hand writing ''Kuran'' is valuable for a Christian, these are valuable for Turks too.

Let's come to topic;

I am sorry but an Estonian or a German can't say to me that a ''Hittite Antique'' is own to him not to Turkish / Anotolian. Also In Turkey many of the population has roots from Hittite, Pontic, Armenian, Greek.

''Pontic Genoside? There is no sense under this topic, open a new topic...''

16. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

we Muslim nomad tribal people ware(are) so strong and glorious, nation of the greatest warriors ... those weak gay Greeks had no chance only submission ....this is your national ideology. Pontic Genoside first you have killed legitimated owners of those Antiques and new you want their property ? "The Hittites were a Bronze Age Indo-European speaking people of Anatolia. " Germans are much closer to them then you

17. Breath

Breath Active Member

You asked me to stop off-topic in another thread because I mentioned Armenian irredentism yet you're first to derail this thread with your "Pontic Genocide" bull(*)(*)(*)(*). Please **** from thread with your stupid anti-Turkish propaganda. Maybe we should credit Hittite antiquity to Pakistanis or Afghans because they also speak Indo-European language. Or how about India? Language is the last thing you should think about when it comes to such manners. Turks are obviously genetically more Anatolian than Germans or Pakis. It's really difficult to prevent myself from personal attacks when I'm replying to you.

18. Phil K

Phil K Member

Thanks to Attaturk, not Turkey.
    Turkey are also responsible for refusing vital work on many churches (a muslim thing - every muslim country does it) and also changing countless christian churches into Mosques.
    What would you say if any mosque was changed to a church ?
    Usual muslim hypocrisy and double standards

19. haydar

haydar Member

There is not any regime can stay without support of people.
    Turkish secular regime is supported by majority, even nowadays Turkey becomes more conservative, still majority on the side of the secularism.
    Turks never leaded with Sharia even in Ottoman era.

There is not any Church transformed in Turkish Republic. Some of them are closed, becuase Christian Population moved, some of them are destroyed by fa(*)(*)(*)(*)s and radicals.
    However nobady can show a law or official order aganist Churches. On the other hand In Athens Church blocks to build a mosque to Athens. In Athens there are hundred of tousands Muslim living. Population of Greece is around 10 milion. There is not any mosque in Athens, Athens get used to have Turkish and muslim pouplation where was under rule of Ottomans around 400 years, what happened to mosques? They are flied to sky???

In Istanbul where around 15 milion people lives total Christian population is around 100.000 and there are hundreds of Churches, more than need. I don't argue with you for the reasons why Christians moved however a Christian in Istanbul can live easly only if he/she is good as financially, he/she can go to pray to most beautiful Churches in Istanbul whenever she wants, she can celebrate her pascalya, noel, she can put a noel tree to her balcony she can wear her cross as necklass.

Christians could have problem in gettos, this is related with education level and related with social status,
    In ''Crete'' Greece there are many mosques transformed to Church, Their minarets are cutten and now working as Church. I don't have problem if there are enough mosques for muslims.

20. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

your have no connection to those you killed and stole everything form people who lived there 1 000s years before you even left steps of Mongolia Antique no you want Greeks , Armenian Antiques which we saved form you nomadic rage. question dont you think that the Armenian Antiques from Armenian high lands should end up in Yerevan?

21. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

they are illegal settlements or local collaborationists, strange that that there is still Muslim community

22. Breath

Breath Active Member

You know what. Every nation are invaders from somewhere else. Stop with your useless, (*)(*)(*)(*)ty, primitive ranting and obsession about Turkish people.

Haha yeah, it makes sense as much as cutting down Ağrı Mountain and replace it in middle of Yerevan since it's their "cultural symbol".

23. Breath

Breath Active Member

[​IMG]

24. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Antiquities rescuer wins TED Prize...
    :clapping:
    Real-life ‘Indiana Jones’ wins coveted TED Prize
    Wed, Nov 11, 2015 - ‘POIGNANT’: Sarah Parcak bemoaned the extensive looting at sites that she has mapped using a method that she has created for processing satellite images