Should Obama Or Romney Take On Gun Control After Aurora Shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hen81, Jul 22, 2012.

1. hen81

hen81 New Member

In the wake of so many mass killings at high schools, universities and now a movie theater, plus horrific shootings in major cities daily, would one of the Presidential candidates show courage by taking on better gun control in the wake of another mass killing by someone with a 100-round gun magazine. Should Obama or Romney take a principled stand for at least some control on assault style weapons and ultra high capacity magazines? Would it show political courage or ensure certain defeat.

[video] http://youtu.be/GEHNqp3vT6k[/video]

2. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

Nope, James holms doesnt give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about any laws, let alone, gun control laws.

3. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

No, but I am certain that regardless of who is president they will use this as a reason to turn more surveillance on civilians and people who don't like the current government.

4. other guy

other guy Member

I would have to agree. Actually it suprises me that nobody in the theatre had a gun to shoot the guy. Don't know what the laws are in CO, but where I am from if you get a group of 20 people together, at least 2 will be carring a pistol. The idea that he could get up on stage and shoot away for 10 minutes without nobody firing back is disturbing. Just like in Chicago where gangs are roaming around attacking people. There are not enough cops to protect all the people all the time, SO, at least let them protect themselfs. Yea I know he was wearing a vest, just shoot him below the waist until he goes down and close in fast. The solution is not to take honest law abiding citizens guns away, it is to allow the american people to protect themselves from the bad guys.

5. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

LOL... you actually believe more gun control laws would have stopped this horrible crime? Take a look at the cities with the most restrictive gun control laws. They're the ones with the most violent crime.

And you think moving to create more silly, ineffective laws is somehow "courage"? No, it's just plain DUMB. And even Barack Obama isn't that dumb. But no worries, if we're unfortunate enough to have him reelected, rest assured he will take bold steps to disarm law-abiding Americans. Of course, that's bad news for America. But frankly, most liberals are just too (*)(*)(*)(*)ing stupid to look that far ahead to the consequences of their dumb beliefs.

6. stonehorse

stonehorse New Member

The gun totters were probably laying on the floor peeing their pants.

When the shooting starts most of these gun bunnies will freeze. At least those with no combat experience will. And it seems that guns are much more attractive to those who have never been shot at.

7. Iron River

Iron River Well-Known Member

You do know that the AZ shooting was stopped by a man that was armed but chose not the shoot because he was alert enough to see that he had time to get to the shooter before he could reload. I would have shot that guy several times and saved AZ the legal costs.

I doubt that the rational thought processes common to people who carry guns legally are not common in the people who go to these types of events. From what I have seen from the people in the theater many curled up on the floor before reason explode into their liberal brains and they ran out of there. Not a lot of rational thought going on in there.

I don't know about all of the liberal horde but I suspect that they are a lot like my wife. As I sit here I see everything around me at all times. I don't have to think about it, my mind just pays attention to what is around me. My wife's hair could be on fire but if she was on the phone she wouldn't know it until the phone melted.

If we find a man that was in there with a gun, in position to fire and chose not to he should lose his license to carry. Carrying a gun carries a responsibility to the community to act in the interest of the community.

8. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

You don't understand the concept of carrying a weapon. Having a weapon in no way means you'll be able to stop a crime. It will however, give a person the option, their option, to act if they feel comfortable and the circumstances dictate.

I simply do not understand your desire to attack and insult law-abiding citizens.

Frankly, I strongly suspect your nonsense about people laying on the floor peeing their pants is based quite simply on what you know you would have done in those circumstances. Don't make the mistake of thinking everyone would behave like you in a given situation.

9. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Almost everyone, including gun owners and the NRA believes in gun control. But the NRA and gun owners in general differ from the far left in that the NRA and gun owners believe rightly that the twenty thousand gun control laws already on the books are more than sufficient. So what the left really wants when they talk about more gun control is the abolition of the second amendment right to keep and bear arms. That's not gun control. It's a trespass beyond constitutional boundary and spirit. Who in their right mind, while eating a hamburger, would not be able to stop at the hamburger, and eat their own hands along with it? That's the mentality of the gun control crowd. That twenty thousand gun control laws aren't fathomable, is not a sufficient consideration to them. They want to eat away the very means of liberty. That's insanity.

10. GiveUsLibertyin2012

GiveUsLibertyin2012 New Member

Congress shall make no law that infringes the right to bare arms.

Gun control laws cant be made to where it tramples the 2nd Amendment right to bare arms.They can pass a law that prohibits the sale of high capacity magazines,close loop holes on gun purchases at gun shows,tougher back ground checks.But they cannot out right ban guns.That would be unconstitutional.Maybe they can pass a law that prohibits purchasing guns in bundles like Holmes did,and require a waiting time between how many guns you can purchase at once.If I owned a gun shop and someone bought an entire arsenal at once ,that would set off an alarm and make me wonder why this person needs so many guns.
    But I believe by disarming law abiding citizens,the criminals will have won.Infact,I would like to see laws that make it much more EASIER for law abiding citizens to carry a concealed weapon(such as a smaller conceal carry license fee) and maybe
    easier open carry laws.Believe me,had someone in the theater had a weapon,the casualities wouldve been minimal.People have this thinking that if more law abiding people carried concealed or open carry weapons that it would be like the wild west.But I think if criminals knew that more people were armed,they would think twice before robbing a store or commiting assault or commiting a mass murder.You would see a significant drop in crime as well.

11. stonehorse

stonehorse New Member

Sufficient are they? Why are 100 round magazines legal? What purpose do they have other than expediting mass shootings?

12. markjw

markjw New Member

That is absolutely nonsense. You can not force someone to shoot another person committing a crime simply because they're carrying a weapon. Since you're so alert all the time then I am sure the idea has crossed your mind that maybe some people carry a weapon simply to deter a criminal from attacking them, right? The could very likely never, ever, ever, plan on firing that weapon, they simply ration with the idea that if someone is out looking for trouble they won't pick someone that has a weapon on their hip.

13. GiveUsLibertyin2012

In Colorado,you can carry a gun in your vehicle,except for the city and county of Denver.I think open carry is legal in some cities too.Its ironic that in most Gun Free Zones is where someone gets killed by a gun.=\

14. markjw

markjw New Member

That how it is here in Arizona. Anyone who can legally own a weapon, can carry and conceal without a permit. I like it a lot.

15. GiveUsLibertyin2012

The theater is designated a "Gun Free Zone".I doubt any of them had weapons.
    And may I remind you that there were service members in that theater.Had they been allowed to carry their weapons in there,I seriously doubt as servicemen,they would be on the ground peeing their pants.Heres another flaw.To get a license to carry a concealed weapon,one must also take a training course.So im sure that someone with the training wouldve tried stopping the mad man.

16. markjw

markjw New Member

Have you ever been to a CCW course, or are you just assuming? They don't teach you anything other than what your "responsibility" is to carry and conceal, how to deal with the police, and what not to do to get yourself in jail or a lawsuit. It's not a miniature "hero" course that teaches people how to save others because they now have a CCW license.

17. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

One guy contained in one building located on one street in one town in one state in the whole country in the course of a year is hardly the expedition of mass shootings. Your approach is all drama and exaggeration. The daily threats to the health and life of most people, including yourself, comes from common things like driving in traffic, and home and workplace accidents....not from armed bad guys. This is reality. And your reaction is proof that you have been brainwashed by the liberal media. Besides, even were it possible to ban all guns entirely. You would only remove them from those who aren't a threat. And the criminal minded would still get guns as easily as drugs which are also illegal to possess.

18. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

They should both take on the problem. This is the kind of massacre that is directly attributable to the easy access to guns in the US. The kid had an arsenal that would have made even the cops think twice, and the body count would have been much higher if his automatic weapon hadn't jammed.

19. G.L.Rockwell

G.L.Rockwell New Member

I think it would be embarrassing if they did. Obama still has yet to address having a border patrol office murdered. Once he answers to that then if he wants to embarrass himself then okay.

20. stonehorse

stonehorse New Member

How is this a response to my post?

I said there is no legitimate purpose for a 100 round magazine. Do you want to address that instead of telling me about my brainwashing?

21. Ivor

Ivor New Member

“The 2nd Amendment is a last resort against tyranny in Government.” Thomas Jefferson.

We already have tyranny in govt. Guns in the hands of the people do no good if they are too scared to put them to use properly.

Chanting the reasons for the 2nd amendment are pointless when all you do is sit idly by while it is eroded slowly away.

The simple fact of the matter is we are ran by tyrants and have been for quite a long time. The so called patriots are content to quote the ideas the founding fathers had rather than live by them.

22. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Because itÂ’s irrelevant. I have an 18 round, .22 caliber small game rifle, that were I inclined, I could use to kill more innocent, seated people, than the Colorado madman, without the body armor, and wearing only shorts and flip flops.

23. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Liberal propaganda and lies. He didn't have an automatic weapon.

24. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

pump shotguns scare me a lot more than AR 15's and Glocks

25. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

What "automatic weapon"? Make up much bullcrap?

He had the SAME ARMS the cops have: AR15 (.223), a Remington 870 pump,and .40cal pistols. COMMON police armament.