Patty Murray Invokes 'Fiscal Cliff', Mitt Romney's Dog Seamus In Senate Tax-Cut Fight

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Patty Murray Invokes 'Fiscal Cliff', Mitt Romney's Dog Seamus In Senate Tax-Cut Fight

By Michael McAuliff | HuffPost | 07/25/2012 7:48 pm
    Excerpts:

WASHINGTON – “Senate Democrats signaled their tax vote was as much about politics as policy Wednesday by saying it sets them up for November, and even managed to link it to the White House race by invoking Mitt Romney's pet dog Seamus.

The passage of the MIddle Class Tax Cut Act means the Senate has offered legislation that preserves the Bush-era tax rates on income under $250,000 for couples, and $200,000 for individuals. That leaves the decision on how to proceed in the hands of House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), who has steadfastly said the rates must be extended for all, including the top 2 percent of earners.

Since the Senate has acted, Democrats argued that the responsible thing to do was pass their bill, and argue about cuts for the wealthy separately. To not do so would be irresponsible, Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) argued, akin to Mitt Romney's infamous family vacation in which he crated the family pet on the roof of the car for a drive to Canada.

Boehner "can either pass this bill which delivers certainty to middle class tax payers... or he can step on the gas, head towards that fiscal cliff and strap the American people - just like a dog we know - to the top of his car," Murray said soon after the bill passed.

By "fiscal cliff," she meant the looming automatic cuts to defense and domestic spending required by last summer's debt and budget deals, combined with the expiring Bush-era tax cuts, all of which happens at the end of 2012.

Democrats, by offering "certainty" to the middle class, think Republicans will have a difficult time in the fall if they don't do likewise.

"The president will now wield the power of the bully pulpit," said Sen. Chuck Schumer. "This will be a positive day for November, and more importantly for the future of the middle class."

"We feel pretty confident where we are with our Senate races and our presidential election," added Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.).

Schumer predicted that with the middle class cuts severed from the top earners, the GOP would have some "serious explaining to do" if they hold out for cuts for all.

"For the first time, we got a majority vote in the Senate to help the middle class with tax breaks without having to tie them to tax breaks for the wealthiest among us," Schumer said. ‘We have set the debate so that we have the high ground. The rest will all flow from it ... The water will now flow in our direction, not in theirs.’ "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/25/patty-murray-fiscal-cliff-seamus_n_1703980.html

So the Romney’s dog Seamus gets some more attention equating his being strapped to the top of Romney’s car for a trip to Canada and the anticipated refusal to have House agreement on the severing of the middle class from the Bush Tax Cuts as irresponsible, leaving the question of tax breaks for the wealthy to be debated separately thereby taking the ‘middle class hostage’ premise out of play. Beautiful!!

It has always been my contention that you deal with your enemy with the tools they can understand. To attempt to negotiate with hungry tigers is a very poor philosophy: 1) they don’t understand English and 2) they get to love the attacks because it is a part of their genetic code.

2. hopeless_in_2012

hopeless_in_2012 New Member

This is playing out just as I thought it would. The Republican's are trapped over a barrel in a lose lose situation. I think they should let them all expire and get revenues back up. Of course I am not wishing for my taxes to be raised, but we need to do something.

3. OldManOnFire

OldManOnFire Well-Known Member

First, Patty Murray has an IQ of 53 and does not possess the wherewithal to discuss any topics beyond 'see Spot run'.

The root question should be; At this time in our economy, is it more productive for $500 billion in question to remain in the hands of people or be transferred to government?

My answer is in the hands of people! Minimize government!

IMO whether it's the tax cuts, or the FICA holiday, etc. not another penny should be transferred from the private sector to government UNTIL government has a cap on it's out of control spending. Just ten minutes ago on the radio they said this year's deficit is now $1.2 trillion...

4. Eighty Deuce

Eighty Deuce New Member Past Donor

LOL ... the GOP is in fine shape. Like it or not, nothing has to be done before the elections. Nothing.

However, your notion that letting the cuts expire and "getting revenue back up" ............ just how are you measuring such ? What good is earning one dollar more if you turn around and incur two dollars more in debt ? Or four more ?

What did Obama's own Simpson-Bowles Commission recommend ? Spending cuts to revenue increases ? Did they recommend raising or lowering rates ?

"Doing something" is not going to fix a (*)(*)(*)(*) thing. Doing the wrong thing, which is "something", will not help things, will it ? Murrays absurd position, which is Obama's and all the other idiots on the left, is that we have to raise taxes on those making over $250K per year. If that is GDP neutral, and it won't be, but if it is, that will reduce the yearly deficit by 3 %. Whoop-tee-(*)(*)(*)(*)ing-do.

5. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

So liberals are going to rely on class warfare in Nov? Good to know...

6. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I enjoy Huffpo opinion pieces. So, the topic I gather is the tax increase put forth by the Senate Democrats. Once again we have Democrats wanting to raise taxes

7. hopeless_in_2012

I wasnt commenting on Patty Murray or her IQ. I am all for reigning in our governments spending. The waste and overreaching of our government is sickening. The problem is that our elected officials cannot and will not get past their partisanship to do anything about it. We need a balanced approach of spending cuts in all areas and an increase in revenues to get to a place where we can balance our budget. Denying the government a dollar of revenue will not stop them from spending it, it has already happened 15 trillion times.

8. Eighty Deuce

Not only that, but Boehner can throw it in the trash. Its a revenue bill. By the Constitution, all revenue bills start in the House.

Let the idiot *******s stomp and stammer all they want. Nothing expires before the election. Just as the Democrats will not put their John Hancock on a budget, the GOP can let the election results decide the tax status for 2013.

9. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

If I were that dumb (*)(*)(*)(*) Patty Murray, I'd prefer talking about Mitt Romney's dog rather than Barack Obama's record as well.

10. hopeless_in_2012

I in no way advocate spending like we have been. Letting rates go back to where they were before the cuts will increase revenue. I would rather that we eliminated our deficit without letting them expire, but it is a necessary component to get there.
    3% is better than 0% in my opinion. We cannot afford to give tax cuts when we are running a deficit. Eliminate the deficit and then hand out tax breaks.

11. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

It was a fore gone conclusion the Dem's would pull this stunt. It's class warfare at it's finest & Obama's platform. I only hope they keep it up along with class acts like inviting a bunch of gay activist's dressed like street walkers to the WH so they can flip Reagan the bird and giving thousands of illegals amnesty so they can compete for American jobs and flood the school systems. It will keep them out of DC for years to come.

Obama has declared war on American value, law, decency and the traditions that made us such a great nation. Time he and all his American hating ilk be defeated handily.

12. Eighty Deuce

Perhaps you still do not grasp the big picture. Reducing the deficit means that instead of us adding $1.2 trillion to the debt every year, we only add about 1.16 trillion. It means that instead of going off the cliff at $120 MPH, you are only going 116 MPH.

Just what have you accomplished ? Just what would be accomplished if we went ahead with this absurd legislation ?

I pointed you to Simpson-Bowles so that you could inform yourself, and not post the same uninformed nonsense over and over. Oh well.

13. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Are these the same senate Dems that haven't presented a budget for over three years?

_

14. hopeless_in_2012

What really cracks me up is that so many will defend the current conservative stance and act like they are in the 1%. Are you middle class or lower? If so how can you support tax cuts on income above $250,000? I know it isnt fair, none of our tax system is fair. Didnt your parents teach you that the world isnt fair? If we continue to give tax breaks when we are PAST broke, we will never get out of this mess.
    If you raise taxes 4% on income over $250K on someone with income of $500,000 a year it would amount to $10,000 in additional tax. A large amount for sure, but a small amount in comparison to the $500,000 a year. What percentage of their disposable income would that be? Can we afford to give them that $833 a month? NO, and that is just what we are doing. Remember, this was a tax cut given to them temporarily. I think that someone with an income of $41,666 a MONTH could afford the additional $833, but this is just my opinion.

15. hopeless_in_2012

Yup, oh well. Sorry if I would like to start hitting the brakes when I see a cliff up ahead. But by all means, keep the hammer down and see if that helps. These were temporary tax cuts and should be allowed to expire. What part of being broke do you not understand?

16. hopeless_in_2012

Inexcusable job performance. Why do these guys in congress keep getting elected? Any of them? They all suck.

17. Eighty Deuce

What part of it not being a part of the solution do you not understand ? It is a class warfare ploy. That's it.

If you want to see a solution, you need loo no further than Obama's debt commission. Which he ignored. As it did not serve his political agenda. Which is far different than an American agenda.

18. OldManOnFire

I was commenting on Patty Murray...not you.

IMO our elected officials are a mirror image of the voters. If you want your elected officials to change then the voters must change. Why does every politician from Obama on down sound like an idiot; because all of their comments are metered based on how voters will vote, not on what might be the best possible solution for the USA. For example, why won't Obama or Romney or any politician for that matter have a public discussion on gun control...because they fear voter revolt is they say the wrong things. SO...the problem as you point out is not our elected officials but you and me and the other 150 million heavily biased and polarized voters.

Government spending will continue no matter laws or policy, even if there is a spending cap which I always mention, government can make excuses why they must spend...including deficit and debt spending. And many times this spending is justified, but I'm personally growing tired of spending which is tied to social programming which is tied to pandering for votes!

19. OldManOnFire

Regarding the bold above, all of this tax cut and fiscal cliff stuff is 100% pandering for votes. And this is the big time pandering season in Washington. This means that everything the candidates utter will be calculated for securing votes. This is when they live up to their deserved reputation as whores! And the ONLY thing more pathetic and un-American as the politicians have become...is the American public who vote for ALL of the wrong reasons. For example, this next election, how many Americans will vote for Obama because he is Black? And how many will not vote for Obama because he is Black? Patty Murray was known as the 'mom in tennis shoes'...now there's a great reason to vote for someone! The US electorate needs to wake up before the nation itself falls off the cliff...