The Horrors of Female Genital Mutilation have come to the UK and Ireland

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Anders Hoveland, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Along with the recent influx of ethnic diversity into the British Isles has come a dark cultural practice...

In the United Kingdom

Female circumcision will be inflicted on up to 2,000 British schoolgirls during the summer holidays – leaving brutal physical and emotional scars. Yet there have been no prosecutions against the practice

Like any 12-year-old, Jamelia was excited at the prospect of a plane journey and a long summer holiday in the sun. An avid reader, she had filled her suitcases with books and was reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when her mother came for her. "She said, 'You know it's going to be today?' I didn't know exactly what it would entail but I knew something was going to be cut. I was made to believe it was genuinely part of our religion."

She went on: "I came to the living room and there were loads of women. I later found out it was to hold me down, they bring lots of women to hold the girl down. I thought I was going to be brave so I didn't really need that. I just lay down and I remember looking at the ceiling and staring at the fan.

"I don't remember screaming, I remember the ridiculous amount of pain, I remember the blood everywhere, one of the maids, I actually saw her pick up the bit of flesh that they cut away 'cause she was mopping up the blood. There was blood everywhere."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/jul/25/female-circumcision-children-british-law

In Ireland

More than 2,500 women and girls living in Ireland are estimated to have undergone female genital mutilation (FGM). The number was described as a "conservative estimate" by Sudha Patel of Duke University, North Carolina, who conducted the research. It is feared that the figure is in fact much higher.

No case has yet been prosecuted. the only comparable case in this country was when a 29-day-old baby boy died in Waterford after a botched domestic circumcision was carried out with a razor blade. The man responsible was cleared of any wrongdoing after the judge directed the jury to apply different standards to the legislation because of cultural differences. The WHC fears that this case may have set a precedent for cases concerning the genital mutilation of girls, if they were to come before a court.

There is considerable anecdotal evidence to suggest that the practice of bringing a child to another country from Ireland to commit FGM is occurring here. Cork GP Dr Claire McCarthy has encountered such instances in her practice on a number of occasions. “Some of the women are terrified of bringing their daughters back to their native country as they are scared that the child’s grandparents or other relatives will perform FGM on them, as happened to them when they were young.”

FGM is relatively new to Ireland, and health professionals are in the early stages of learning how to deal with it.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=14486

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Old country customs find their way to America...
    :omg:
    Study: Number of US Girls, Women at Risk of Genital Mutilation Triples
    January 14, 2016 — More than half a million women and girls in the United States live at risk of female genital mutilation, a threefold increase in recent years because of the rise in immigrants from countries where it is practiced, a government study said Thursday.

JoakimFlorence likes this.
  3. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

Circumcision is the most extreme example of 'child abuse': indeed, for the strong and powerful to use overwhelming strength to inflict pain and mutilation upon the weakest and most vulnerable, the practice ought to be a crime against humanity. I despair of this mindless ethnic habit (male and female) blood-letting ritual in the name of 'religion'.

4. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

The report said the estimated 513,000 women and girls at risk were born or have a parent born in a nation where female cutting is a tradition. Female genital mutilation remains traditional in many African countries as well as in South Asia and the Middle East, and the World Health Organization (WHO) has estimated as many as 140 million women have been subjected to the practice. The 513,000 women and girls at risk in 2012, the most recent year data was available, more than tripled from the 168,000 at risk in the last CDC count in 1990, it said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-mutilation-women-idUSKCN0US30Q20160114

There are 513,000 women and girls in the US, whose parents were from African countries such as Egypt, Ethiopia and Somalia. But female genital mutilation is illegal in the US and there's no report which shows that it was actually performed on these American girls of African descent.

5. Sixteen String Jack

Sixteen String Jack New Member

I bet there's a fair few boys who are genitally mutilated in Britain each year, too. Needless to say, their plight is ignored.

6. cerberus

Well we mustn't upset Jews must we, even at the cost of shedding the blood of babies! I despair of humankind and its mindlessly barbaric rituals.

7. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Not that I defend this atrocious act in any way at all, but there certainly is a load of ethnocentrism and hypocricy within the discourse. Important thing is not to judge the act (it is pretty obvious it is f-ed up anyways) but rather it is to understand it.

There are alot of anthropologist's who have studied this phenomena and amongst the more prominent are Catherine Belle and Sarah Jonhsdotter ( I believe Lila Abu Lughod has done some reasearch on it too) and these studies prove this is not at all a "misogynistic" or "sexist" practise where men try to limit women's sexuality. In most cases it is a practise that is completely controlled by the women. It is the women of the communities who do it to the girls and most of the times the cultural connotation is to "create a woman". Many times have circumcised women felt no problems at all, they have felt as complete until they move to Europe or meet the WHO, who tell them they are "oppressed and mutilated".

Furthermore there is no validity in applying our own view of sexuality onto other communities. Also there are many different verision of FGM and not all of them involve a "total removal" of the genitalia.

Finally, we never hear people scream about male circumcision in he same way and the WHO are- of course- completely silent about this. Why? Well most likely because there are more Jews and Americans in the WHO than there are members of some "African tribe": It is acceptable for an American mum to want her boy mutilated simply because "it looks better" or for an American girl to say "I'd never f-k an uncircumcised man" but a Somali father is not allowed to say he wants her daughter sliced up. :p

Nonetheless it is an atrocious act imo, but it is important to note what I have pointed out above for a more fair and healthy discussion.

8. cerberus

Find out who the practitioners are and do the same to them - I personally guarantee that it'll stop overnight. Anyway why is the circumcision of females worse than for males?

9. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Western countries just need to put their foot down and tell the Muslim community that they cannot perform FGM. Some of the women who assault their daughters this way need to be sent to prison as examples.

Western countries have every right to proscribe certain conduct. The Muslim community can be respectfully educated as to what they may do and not do in our society. If they disobey the law, they should be arrested, tried, and punished just like anyone else.

10. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think FGM is proscribed in western countries
    Which is why they send the girls elsewhere to have this done

11. cerberus

We did that nearly 3 years ago and not one prosecution has been made - and that's because politicians are scared of losing the vote of the religious electorate with its mindless rituals. In other words, children are (almost literally) being sacrificed at the altar of political self-interestedness.

12. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes, I agree.

It's especially galling when you remember that one of government's primary responsibilities is to protect its most vulnerable.

13. Sixteen String Jack

Sixteen String Jack New Member

And Male Genital Mutilation has been in Britain for donkey's years, yet hardly a peep from anyone.

14. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    `

Female genital mutilation is a barbaric, inhuman practice. Those convicted should be given harsh sentences.

15. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

"Oh my Gaaaawd! Anti-Semitism! Anti-Semitism! Nazi! Nazi! Nazi!"

;D

16. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Say what???...
    :roll:
    Egypt: Outrage as MP opposes tougher FGM laws because of 'impotent men'
    Wed, 07 Sep 2016 - Controversy after Egyptian MP rejects tougher penalties for those who force women into genital mutilation (FGM), saying half of the country's men "are impotent".

17. cerberus

That is the weirdest aspect of all - that such a disgusting practice against females is defended by females? But it will never stop because it would cause social unrest, so we may as well get used to it. Indeed I try not to think about it.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't have the prison capacity.

18. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

Exactly.

19. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

US jumps on bandwagon against FGM...
    :cool:
    US says to bolster efforts to end female genital mutilation
    Thursday 22nd September, 2016 - The United States unveiled plans on Thursday to ramp up efforts to end female genital mutilation (FGM) after figures showed more than half a million women and girls were living at risk.

20. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Singapore still practices FGM...
    :omg:
    Modern Singapore Practices Ancient Ritual of Female Genital Mutilation
    October 12, 2016 — Medical clinics in Singapore are carrying out female genital cutting on babies, according to people with first-hand knowledge, despite growing global condemnation of the practice, which world leaders have pledged to eradicate.

21. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

African First ladies vow to campaign against FGM...
    :cool:
    First ladies vow to battle genital mutilation
    Wed, Feb 01, 2017 - The first ladies of Niger, Burkina Faso and Benin on Monday promised to “end the scourge of female genital mutilation” (FGM) in their countries amid warnings the practice had gone underground in Benin.

22. cerberus

Why the outrage over FGM when little boys are also subject to the same abuse?

23. billy the kid

billy the kid Well-Known Member

Well, you see, its an uncivilised operation, in mostly uncivilised countries by uncivilised people, who dont even use
    anesthetic. As far as little boys being abused in the same way, thats just crap. Its more of a health issue for boys
    and the circumcision of boys has been accepted for generations...by civilised people...why do you think they call
    FGM mutilation....

24. cerberus

No it isn't! :roll: I can't be bothered to explain to you why it isn't because if you don't realise it for yourself, nothing I say will make any difference.