Todd Akin's Abortion Position Reflects GOP Platform

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Todd Akin's Abortion Position Reflects GOP Platform

By Laura Bassett | HuffPost | 08/21/2012 5:17 pm
    Excerpts:

In the national maelstrom after the inflammatory statement made Sunday by GOP Senate candidate Todd Akin in Missouri is the reality that there is no policy difference between Akin's comments and the mainstream GOP platform.‬

CNN reported on Monday that the draft of the GOP's official 2012 platform calls for a federal ban on abortion with no exception for rape and incest survivors.

** quote: “The platform also demands that the government "not fund or subsidize health care which includes abortion coverage," a policy that harkens back to the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act of 2011. The GOP sponsors of that bill, including Akin and current GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), tried to narrow the definition of rape as it relates to abortion; only "forcible rape," the bill originally stated, warrants insurance coverage for abortion. The language was removed before the bill passed.”

** Akin's remarks and the ensuing outrage from both parties forced Mitt Romney to rein in his running mate's conservative position on abortion. The Romney campaign announced Sunday night that the Romney/Ryan ticket supports abortion in cases of rape, even though Ryan previously opposed it.

But if the draft of the GOP platform is any indication, the Republican National Committee will not include a rape exception in its platform. "It's a strong pro-life position that doesn't get into granular specifics. We leave those to the states."

Ten GOP-controlled state legislatures, over the past couple of years, have passed bans on abortions after 20 weeks of gestation that do not include an exception for rape victims. Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) recently tried to pass the same ban in the District of Columbia.

Romney and Ryan could be unsuccessful at distancing themselves with Akin, in addition to having sponsored a federal fetal personhood law that would force rape victims to go through with their pregnancies.

Ultimately, Romney and the Republicans' success in the upcoming election could hinge in part on their ability to distance themselves from members like Akin, although Akin's comment only underscores a position many Republicans are trying to codify into law.

UPDATE: 1:48 p.m. - The Republican platform committee approved the draft on Tuesday that calls for a constitutional ban on abortion without exception for rape victims, Politico reports.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/21/todd-akin-gop-platform-rape_n_1818532.html\

We have cosponsors Akin and Paul Ryan who both heartily sponsored this amendment to be put into law, now had Akin being told to get out and Romney saying Ryany doesn’t mean it...but the draft was approved this afternoon by the reublican committee without the exception for rape and incest.

What is the reasoning behind the republican plan to bring all women back into being brood mares? Are women to be just baby-making work-horses that must endure rape and incest without any recourse in deciding what SHE wants to do with her body?

WTH is it with these sickening, farty, stale old men who think they can decide what is best for me, or my best friend, or my neighbor, or any female in this Democracy?

What grand plan have they in store for the United States that involves every woman indiscriminately dropping babies every year whether their health is damaged by ceaseless birthing or not, or if they have been abused, or raped making no difference...and what do the husbands have to say about this who will have to finance all these children, buying bigger homes, bigger food and clothes bills, larger education expenses.

The republicans who would be responsible for this would be abominations upon this earth, America would no longer be a Democracy and the middle class would be locked into poverty and serfdom.

2. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

The desperation of the Democrat party and their minions is shining through like a beacon. Trying to tie the whole party platform with something one guy said once and apologized for is like attempting to tie the whole Democrat party to the stupid things Biden says. The right doesn't try such moronic stretches of the imagination. It's just plain childish and ineffective on anyone with even a sliver of a brain.

8.3% unemployment, 14.9% underemployment, less work force participation than in decades, more folks getting on the disability roles than finding a new Obamanomics job AND GDP @ 1.5%. These are the reasons Obama will lose in November and they trump all attempts to make this big election about small things.

[video=youtube;LiLzhspzLdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LiLzhspzLdU[/video]

Obama accused McCain's campaign of doing exactly what he's doing right now. I won't tell them to stop because people are tired of nasty campaigns full of smears. They want to hear about the who's going to fix jobs and the economy. The rest of it is the small things Barack talked about. That's why Obama continues to drop in the polls while Romney rises. Up till recently, I couldn't stand to think about voting for Romney. But, the Juvenile campaign that Obama has been running reflects on what kind of wanna be man he really is and has virtually guaranteed my vote for Romney.

3. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

No one cares about his position on abortion...not really. They care about the economy.

4. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Amusing they went from yesterday's "Dems TRYING TO connect..." to today's "REFLECTS GOP PLATFORM."

The lie grows every 24 hrs.

(BTW, nobody cares)

[​IMG]

5. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Let's review the extremely radical and disgusting Democratic Party Platform as well......

shall we?

• Democrats like Barack Obama are 100% o.k. with partial birth abortion.
      [*]Democrats like Barack Obama are 100% o.k. with murdering babies after birth that survived abortion.

Who is more radical? If you want to talk crap, then own your own.

Me personally, I am not a GOP. I do not support their views on abortion, but I find the Democratic Party's views MORE APPALLING! They advocate murder of babies that are born and breathe if they were previously slated for abortion.

6. Please Let Me Vote

Please Let Me Vote Banned

Well, nobody on this board who votes republiklan, but yes, about 50 million women do care...

Look, we know, I know, that you hate Obama cuz he is Black and for absolutely no other reason. got it

7. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Must you play that racecard on every thread? It makes you look downright desperate.

[​IMG]

8. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

And we know you love Obama because he's going to take the money from someone else and give it to you.

9. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

Maybe they cared before they got laid off twice in the last two years and saw their home value go underwater, now most people want a better economy and would push their grandmothers in front of a bus to get it.

I don't like Romney or Obama because they are Big Government Statists that want to usurp our civil liberties and right to privacy, but I understand that sadly it doesn't matter anymore whether they are for any particular social issue or if they are surveillance state freaks.

People want a change because they think that will make the economy better.

Fact. The quicker you learn to deal with that, the easier it will be to accept what happens in January. I will be drunk that day because I hate Mitt Romney so much, but...it is what it is.

Please troll better next time? It's depressing that you can't even make a half-way decent effort.

10. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

While I'm sure 50 million women care about some off remarks, I do think they care a whole lot more about feeding their kids, keeping a roof over their heads, clothes on their backs and shoes on their feet. That takes a better economy and a good job.

11. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

Notice how this cogent post from an abortion moderate will go untouched by leftwad hands.

The Republican position is very simple. Life is begun at conception. A baby formed in any circumstances is innocent of those events and deserves protection. The logical consistency of it is unassailable.

12. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

A lot of women Repubs are busy digging graves for other women as well.

NO CHOICE
    More Than 40 Republican Candidates Oppose Abortion In Cases Of Rape, Incest
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/22/todd-akin-abortion-rape-incest_n_1819201.html

13. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Hi pp:

1) Is that what you call an "off remark"?? I call it a highly offensive remark, a dangerous remark coming from a congressman. When did even rudimentary knowledge become extinct in Congress?

2) Women can care about more than one thing at a time, you know. Of course the Bush Recession has taken longer because Obama's Jobs Bills lay on tables in the House without being looked at in a spirit of "Let's keep Obama a one-term president...(which the republicans stated on January 2009) Don't blame Obama if your kids can't get shoes...blame the obstruction of republicans in Congress. If we had invested in another stimulus we would have been out of the Bush CliffHanger...it is solely at the feet of republicans that the country is languishing.

3) The means for lift out of the Bush Fiasco was in the hands of Congress...tell the public what happened between the 'Grand Bargains' stalemates, press conferences, screaming matches, secret treasonous activities by republicans to keep the Obama economy stagnant. The added suffering republicans put on the American people is scurrilous, treasonous, and they should be run out of Congress immediately so that we can finally get something done...and that will happen as President Obama starts his second term.

14. CanadianEye

CanadianEye Well-Known Member Past Donor

Man, I hope you guys in America don't get to point that we have in Canada. They are legally able to kill babies right up to the point that they draw their first breath.

Do you have a lot of progressives in the Democrat party? Be careful if you do....they promote and foster this type of murdering of babies, even at 9 months.

15. GiveUsLibertyin2012

GiveUsLibertyin2012 New Member

So if the RNCs platform is going to reflect Akins position ,does this mean there will be people being chained at the Democrats platform??
    dey gunna put yall in chains?O.O

16. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

In America the libs have gone even farther and want to make it legal to kill breathing babies also.

17. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Playing that old worn out race card again, huh Junior? Not going to work, so you might as well can it - just making yourself look foolish.

18. Alwayssa

Alwayssa Well-Known Member

Most women do since they see this issue as part of the economic issue facing the nation.

19. WatcherOfTheGate

WatcherOfTheGate New Member

Republicans pretend to be pro-life but they are more then willing to kill the living. Some pro-lifers even make posts about exterminating an entire religion. " I'm pro-life unless your Muslim "

They are usually pro capital punishment as well. They can't help but talk out of both sides of there mouth.

20. Kingofwow

Kingofwow New Member

21. WatcherOfTheGate

That is very mature.

22. Kingofwow

Kingofwow New Member

I can only listen to shrill of desperate cries of the insane for so long then I just have to shut down.

23. WatcherOfTheGate

I understand having your bias confirmed is more comfortable then reading something from a different view point.

24. conservaliberal

conservaliberal Well-Known Member

If women want to kill their fetuses then the Roe decision gives them that right. The only way I can see that Republicans lose this election is to let liberal Democrats change the focus from the economy and Obama's terrible record as president to all this abortion talk instead. Whether you like abortion or not, the right to do it has been LAW for almost 40 years. Better leave this alone because with the economy as totally screwed up as it is, we have much more pressing business to attend to.

25. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Not the right to killing living, breathing children.

That is a new idea that libs like Obama and his friends are promoting.