1.5 million Catalans are marching for independence!what's next?Scotland,w-Sahara, Kur

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by litwin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/332659#ixzz26GsMLCnL video

1.5 million Catalans are marching for independence!what's next?
    my top 10 nations which mast get independence , do you agree with my tom 10?

Volkstaat,
    Kurdistan,
    Western Sahara
    Quebec,
    Basque Country ,
    Northern Kosovo,
    Scotland,
    Kachin State,
    Azawad (other Amazigh lands)
    Republika Srpska&Croatian Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia

what's about Palestine? i believe that Zionists, and Palestinians can have own states and live in peace. why 2 states solution does not work?

2. JamesVanArtevelde

JamesVanArtevelde New Member

Well, I certainly wish the Catalans success in their quest for independence. But in the current economic climate it will not be easy to tear themselves away from the Spanish state (remember that the Catalan government was recently forced to ask for financial assistance from the central government in Madrid). Cataluna does have a historical well-established identity and I'm sure it would prosper as an independent country.

If Cataluna succeeded, so certainly would the Basque country.

Scotland seems to be further on the road to independence however, as it will have a referendum in the coming year. Let's hope the Scots don't falter and choose independence. A succesful independence referendum in Scotland would certainly have a great effect in the rest of Europe, especially in Spain (with independence for Cataluna, the Basque country and perhaps other regions as well) and Belgium (with independence for Flanders, leading to the disappearance of Belgium). There might be an effect in Italy as well.

3. kilgram

kilgram New Member

Well, it would lead to disappearence to many countries as we know them. Because let's suppose Spain: two areas with a considerable percentage of independentists: Basque Country and Catalonia, but if that two were independized, probably other regions would add themselves to it, like Galicia, Balearic Islands, Andalucia, and even maybe Asturias and Navarra, so Spain would not be anymore.

4. mutmekep

mutmekep New Member

The rise of nationalism in Europe is the worst that can happen , another sign that the "union" brought us 100 years back.

5. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

Castile ? [​IMG]

6. Mr. Swedish Guy

Mr. Swedish Guy New Member

I've never heard of the Volkstaat before but now that I have I think I support it.
    And Kurdistan
    and Quebec
    and basque
    and amazad

Northern kosovo? I've looked it up briefly and it's apparently serbian. I do not support an independed northern kosovo, only that it could rejoin serbia.
    Western Sahara? The inhabitants there are not ethnic moroccans right? but are they a group of their own? don't they belong to another group? I'd prefer if they'd join another country instead of independence by themselves. In general I'd support redrawing the borders of africa to fir with the ethnic borders.
    Have heard very little about Kachin but I guess that they get my support.
    I dont know if full independence is what's good for scotland, but rather more autonomy inside the UK.
    I dont think splitting up former jugoslavia is a good idea, I think it'd be better to partition bosnia between croatia and serbia.
    And maybe just giving the spanish countries more autonomy might solve things, even if it goes as far as a federation.

7. edao

edao New Member

I live in Scotland and there is no appetite among the majority of Scots for independence.
    Most Scots have no problem with the concept of Britishness and have no real hatred or ill feeling toward the English.
    Perhaps in better economic circumstances the vote might be close but given the economic turmoil and the reality that an independent
    Scotland would be in the grip of a federal Europe I doubt any real independence would last for long.

8. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

this map says a lot about the apartheid character of Morocco´s occupation [​IMG]

9. CharlieChalk

CharlieChalk Banned

actually many more Scots identify as 'Scottish' than do 'British' or both, but your location belies your beliefs so I wouldn't expect you to give a true representation of the facts. And its nothing to do with ill feeling towards English people, its simply a desire to run our own economy that drives nationalism. You're also incorrect about economics and Europe, statistically and historically a vote would always have a much better chance of success in bad economic times than good ones, and post-independece Scotland need be no more in the grip of the EU than the UK currently is, with the bonus that we get to negotiate our terms of membership, the UK doesn't get to renegotiate. You are extremely ill-informed on all counts, and probably a Rangers fan.

Viv and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Yeah righto...:whisper:

https://www.facebook.com/ScottishIndependence

...did you miss that bit?

11. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

What are you basing that on? The way Spanish government has so far completely ignore the Basque push for independence....i.e. they haven't given any ground so far, so what makes you think Scotland exiting the UK would change the Spanish government policy on separatism?

12. kilgram

kilgram New Member

Spanish policy would not change but the movement pro-independency of Spain would stronger strike and probably they would push for an unilateral independence.

13. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

My grandfather was Spanish, or I guess, Catalonian. I don't think there is really an ethnic difference between the Spanish and Catalonians is there? I don't think the should go for independence though. My grandfather left Spain because of the Civil War. I really don't see the purpose of it. I guess I don't know much about it though.

14. Mr. Swedish Guy

as much difference as between spainards and portuguese. they deserve their own nation. or, very much autonomy.

15. litwin

litwin Well-Known Member

Catalonians are more similar to southern Frenchmen

16. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

They have pushed plenty and sometimes pushed violently and all that has shown is a very determined anti-separatist stance from Spanish government.

Nothing to do with Scotland and no justification for being anti-Scottish-exit-from-EU.:popcorn:

17. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Would Italy be likely to cede a chunk of Sardinia? Leaving aside the Spanish Islands of Mallorca, Minorca and Ibiza.

[​IMG]

18. Colonel K

Would Italy be likely to cede a chunk of Sardinia? Leaving aside the Spanish Islands of Mallorca, Minorca and Ibiza.

[​IMG]

The yellow parts are the "Catalan Lands" (Paisos Catalans)

19. Colonel K

Was Grandpa a lefty? They lost the civil war to the fascist Franco, who was backed by Hitler.

20. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

I'll have to ask my cousins in Spain. He could have been a monarchist or just apolitical. But I think he left because of the danger. He was a border patrol agent ironically, and then came to the US illegally through Mexico.

21. Colonel K

Several of my dad's friends went from Scotland to fight with the International Brigade for the Republicans against the coup.

22. Mr. Swedish Guy

Sardinia eh? how about no? :p But the balearic isles are catalan aren't they?

23. kilgram

kilgram New Member

You made the "Països Catalans" too big, you added Murcia that is not part of the Països Catalans. You went too much to the South.

24. MegadethFan

MegadethFan Well-Known Member

Crazy Europeans.

To answer your question: America.

25. Colonel K