Martial Arts, Self Defense, and Combat Sports

Discussion in 'Sports' started by leftlegmoderate, Sep 28, 2012.

1. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

A thread for all things self defense and combat. Discuss anything, from traditional martial arts to MMA and boxing. Gun talk/weaponry is also welcome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yiostheoy likes this.
  2. leftlegmoderate

This is one of my favorite MMA fighters, Masakazu Imanari, aka Ashikan Judan! He has an extremely unorthodox standup style which is pretty much geared just to take the fight to the ground. He'll intentionally throw kicks that are easily trapped or deliver him into a position that will eventually result in a leglock, toe hold, etc. His submission skills are frightening, and he's know as 'The master of leglocks'.

[video=youtube;A3ytuJ8l4dA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ytuJ8l4dA[/video]

3. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

He's a tough guy but he's making a living fighting guys outside the top 20 for the most part. Good ground game but guys like Cruz, Barao, Faber, McDonald, Fernandes etc. would walk through him (top 20 guys). Kinda like a Shinya Aoki, great ground game but has pillows for hands and makes a living fighting inferior competition.

4. leftlegmoderate

True, but I like his style of grappling, that's why he's one of my favorites. I don't really care that he's not fighting the biggest names.

5. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

It is unique seeing a fighter constantly attacking with heel hooks and toe holds. I'm just pointing out that he might not look so graceful and slick if he were fighting the upper tier of his division. You're right though, fun guy to watch grapple.

6. leftlegmoderate

Exactly! The industry standard gets kind of tiring to watch (though I still respect and appreciate the skill of the fighters) - Against the cage, a takedown of some sort, side control, mount, ground and pound... or someone stuck in guard for eternity. :) Imanari stays busy, and I like flow of his roll. I particularly like his way of attacking the legs. Rather than shooting, he'll roll in or fall on his side, grab an ankle then work scissor-esque take downs.

7. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

This is hands down, by far, the best fighter to ever step foot in any sanctioned MMA bout. the UFC even feared his talent to the extent of banning him, because he would knock out all their champions, from Chuck Lidell, to Randy Couture, Matt Hughes, etc....

Great Music, for watching his highlights too. Kro Cop was the first to feel his wrath, but certainly not the last. Enjoy.

[video=youtube;gwTJ9_JyPEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTJ9_JyPEM[/video]

8. leftlegmoderate

One of the nastiest suplexes ever @ 2:25.:eyepopping:

9. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I liked around 3:45 when he's got the guy on the ground and he's practically doing a headstand, then bringing his first leg down for momentum to smash the guy with the knee of his other leg. Totally crazy.

10. Indofred

Indofred Banned at Members Request

A Bruce Lee line from Enter the dragon comes to find.
    The art of fighting without fighting.
    I did a good few years of full contact and learnt how to pummel the merry hell out of a person.
    I learnt more than a few ways to kill or maim.

More importantly, I learnt how not to do it.

11. leftlegmoderate

Imagine the inch pounds of pressure being exerted on that dude's skull. I'm surprised the match didn't turn into a Gallagher show at that point!

[video=youtube;rkylnCKJCpg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkylnCKJCpg[/video]

12. Captain America

Captain America New Member

Ikochi Budokai
    Nidan
    Studied under Grand Master John Russell

Arts of Samurai and philosphies of Bushido.

Hell, we even had to learn to fight dogs. Made (actually forged,) our own swords.

Trained in many different styles since depending on location and training availability. But NEVER in a school like that.

Oh, to be young again. I left my heart (and one tooth,) at the Battle of Atlanta.

13. leftlegmoderate

What were the unarmed techniques like? If I have my history right, JiuJitsu was adopted and amplified by Samurai clans, but a lot (but not all) of the technique was complicated small joint manipulation like Aikido and Hapkido.

14. Indofred

Indofred Banned at Members Request

That's the gay, pink version.
    I saw this guy in Melaka, Malaysia and, yes, they are real coconuts.

[video=youtube;EMP2J6yGSLA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMP2J6yGSLA[/video]

15. leftlegmoderate

You know what Bruce Lee would say, right? "Coconuts don't hit back". :)

That is pretty impressive though. One of the coolest things about the various forms of Kung Fu, is what some practitioners can achieve through conditioning.

16. kronikcope

kronikcope Active Member

Free UFC event on tonight if anyone is interested in watching.

Speaking of fighting, I went to the Zac Brown Band concert last night. A fight broke out after the concert when we were walking to our car just a few cars away from where we were parked. Anyways, it looked like a 2 groups of guys got into it, some punches were thrown. Two of these guys ended up on the ground and one guy bit the other guy on his chest. After a minute or so the fighting stopped and the guy who got bit took his shirt off as we were getting into our car. His entire nipple plus some extra flesh was hanging by a thread of skin. Pretty gross stuff.

17. Captain America

Captain America New Member

As I was taught, Jiu-Jitsu was the art of breaking bones. We touched on that but obviously, we could not go around the dojo breaking each other's bones so we also studied Judo, which is the modified form of Jiu jitsu without all the bone breaking. Our studies in Aikido primarily were based on the idea of taking forward motion and utilizing it to our benefit. We spent a lot of time training with boken's (sp?) or, wooden swords, for obviously reasons. We trained on chain and sythe and sais, stars, nunckaku, long sword sword, short sword, bow. There were 18 arts in all.

The school was experimental and funded out of Kyoto, Japan. I suspect we were more or less "guinea pigs" to see how America would react to a new martial arts school program. It was far more interesting than any other school I have attended and the training was every weekday and Saturdays. Attendance mandatory. But, at best, we were a watered down version of any close resemblance to the "real thing," Samurai speaking. None of us was dragged out of our beds at 5 years and sent away to train like the real Samurai. But I couldn't get enough. I was consumed.

That freaked my dad out. A WW2 vet, he hated anything Japanese. And here I was with rising sun emblems on my gi speaking in Japanese. He really didn't support me much until I started sparring in my upper ranks.

18. leftlegmoderate

The impression I get, is that modern day Judo and BJJ is basically like wheat separated from the chaff of Samurai era Jiujitsu.

Sounds like a really cool experience man. Are you doing anything nowadays? If not, I bet you get the itch from time to time, right? :)

19. leftlegmoderate

2012 Muay Thai knockout compilation.

Check out the roundhouse @ 1:20, can't believe the guy stayed on his feet! Super nasty elbow @ 6:17 :shock:

[video=youtube;B7YixoOk330]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YixoOk330[/video]

20. The XL

The XL Well-Known Member

Randleman was an athletic freak with a great wrestling pedigree, but has a mediocre record is due to being weak at Jiu-Jitsu and striking. Huge waste of talent.

21. The XL

The XL Well-Known Member

Anyone think Bonnar can pull of the biggest upset in MMA history and beat the GOAT, Anderson Silva?

22. pimptight

pimptight Banned

I know MMAth doesn't work, but if Forrest got handled the way he did, and Forrest dominated Bonnar in their last fight i don't see this going well.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Bigfoot Silva in the UFC!

BTW, Serra beating GSP would still be a bigger upset. I think I would add Werdum beating Fedor as well above it.

23. The XL

The XL Well-Known Member

True, but Forrest always had an iffy chin. Bonnar has a chin of granite. I don't think he'll be as embarrassed as Forrest was.

I think Travis Browne beats Bigfoot on Saturday. He's gonna be too quick for him.

24. The XL

The XL Well-Known Member

Ermm......you are aware that Randleman was TKO'd by Couture and KO'd by Liddell, right?

25. pimptight

pimptight Banned

I could see Bonnar using his chin to get it to the ground, but Silva's strikes are just too accurate for me to really give that credibility. Of course anything can happen in a MMA fight.

Browne has looked beastly, but both of these fighters seem to jump leaps and bounds every time we see them fight. Should be fireworks!

I was going to point out the Randleman history, but just didn't have the energy. I didn't even know old pride fanboys who quit watching MMA in 1999, even existed.