Whiskey Thread

Discussion in 'Food and Wine' started by youenjoyme420, Sep 29, 2012.

1. youenjoyme420

youenjoyme420 New Member

I got into whiskey recently, and I figured I'd start a thread where people can discuss their favorites, and offer recommendations.

Being an American, I was drawn to the American whiskeys. I started myself off with a bottle of Gentleman Jack after hearing it was an easy start for beginners, and it was. It went down easy, and was sufficient in introducing me to the whiskeys where flavor is the priority (sipping as opposed to tilting your head back and taking a shot). I enjoyed it, and was sort of sad when the bottle was gone. Definitely worth the price.

Having enjoyed the Jack, I decided to stick with the brand, and go for a more "premium" whiskey. I got myself a bottle of JD Single Barrel. Without getting into too much detail, while it was good, certainly not worth the price. If I was going to buy another bottle of Jack, I'd go with the Gentleman Jack.

I decided to switch brands after my disappointment with the JD Single Barrel, opting instead for a pure bourbon, and got myself a bottle of Maker's 46. Wow. First of all, the aroma alone is so much more enticing than any other whiskey I've drank. Alcohol aside (it's 94 proof), the vanilla and maple notes coming through were probably the best smell I've ever experienced coming through an alcoholic beverage, and my first sip sold me. Very spicy at first (though not to the point of being overwhelming or enjoyable), after holding the whiskey on my tongue for a bit, the flavor really came through. I don't have enough experience to describe it in detail, but it is fantastic. It goes down so much easier than other whiskey's I've had. It's certainly one I would recommend. I have a hard time imagining myself enjoying a whiskey more than I did the 46, and for $33 dollars for a fifth, it's one hell of a buy.

2. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

I can drink any type JD they come out with, except the Honey Jack, it's too sweet.

I like Jim Beam as well, especially that Devil's Cut. It's pretty smooth.
    I like Old Crow as well.

gorfias likes this.
  3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I don't drink, but whiskey has some medicinal value in it.....

When I worked at the Red Cross, I had volunteers, mostly senior citizens, and enjoyed listening to their stories. One day one of them told me her story which I found fascinating.

Janet was born during the great influenza where people were drying by the thousands. There was baby Janet and she got the killer flu. Back then, there weren't any meds and the old country dr. would pay his visit to see how she was coming along. Janet said her parents told her she was so sick w/it, her skin turned black........ anyway, the dr. told her parents to put a few drops of whiskey on Janet's tongue every day, they did and she slowly recovered to grow up and become a healthy, lovely lady.....

I rarely get the flu or even a bad cold. And if either happens again, I'm just going to take a shot of whiskey and put myself to bed until it's gone. I really think that would be more beneficial than that barfy over the counter crap they sell, which doesn't work anyway.........

Blaster3 likes this.
  4. keymanjim

keymanjim New Member Past Donor

In recent years I have become reacquainted with Grand Old Parr. A 12 year old blended scotch I drank most other places I've traveled in the world. They just recently began importing it into the US.
    It has a mossy sort of fragrance with a smokey, fruity flavor. Definitely not a gulping whiskey.
    If you're in good with your local liquor store then they will order you a bottle. But, be prepared. A 750ml bottle can cost your between $35 and $40. About the same as 1.25l of Old No.7.
    You can order it through a website called "shoppers vineyard". I just checked the price. It's on sale for $33.
    Enjoy.

5. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

Jameson is the best Whiskey I've head, extremely smooth and dry. I switched over from Jim Beam to Jameson and it was worth it.

jack4freedom likes this.
  6. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Completetly different Booze and taste.Jameson is like a watered down Scotch.
    Bourbon is more pronounced and very woody due to being aged in charred oak.
    I like Jameson but it is very mild with a slight peatiness.Where really good scotch
    has huge depth of peat.
    I no longer drink scotch because when I did I drank with soda.Plus I drank stuff like
    Dewars White Label or The favorite of Italians { J & B }.
    They got Great single malt scotch out today,but they are expensive.
    Bourbon too has come a long way.Jim Beam is best overal.And don't tell me it's
    too tame.Booker's is the Strongest of all Bourbon and it's made by master distillers at
    Beam.Booker's is like 126 proof.TOO Proofy.
    Woodford Reserve is popular and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve is great for the price.
    An Old favorite of mine was Van Winkle { 12 yrs. old } Lot B.
    Bourbon I believe has to age for at least 4 years to be classified as Bourbon.
    Jim Beam is 7 years aged with their Black label being 8 yrs.
    For those on a limited budget there's Early Times which is a Kentucky Whisky { 3 yr. } and
    is a light bourbon.It's quite pleasant and easy going.

7. gophangover

gophangover Well-Known Member

Pinch is my favorite 15 year-old Scotch. Well Johnny Walker Blue is really my favorite, but my taste is more refined than my wallet. Johnny Walker black works in a pinch or lack there of. Tequila makes me bullet proof. JD makes me puke. Gin tastes like perfume. Vodka tastes like a hospital.

8. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

If I wasn't a Cognac head I'd get back into Scotch.I never had those great Single
    malts.But it's also a matter of being prudent.Cognac is perfect for Wine Drinkers.
    Which is what I am.Cognac is an acquired taste.Like Bourbon.I still have some
    difficulty with Vodka straight.I refuse to get into Gin.Tequila was a favorite of mine in
    my Pot-head days with Beer chaser.Tequila goes great with orange juice.
    I am so whetted to Cognac,all other Liquor is near inferior.

9. smalltime

smalltime Active Member

Maker's Mark for bourbon.

Beefeater or Bombay Sapphire for Gin. But it HAS to be a very neat Martini.

10. PropagandaMachine

PropagandaMachine New Member

Drinking Glenlivet Nadurra. Among one of the best single malts I've had. Cask strength as well. Its a bit expensive, but well worth it.

For a blended out of the Johnny Walkers I think Green Label is the best for the money.

11. jthorp24

jthorp24 New Member

Whatever is the cheapest half gallon. Usually Canadian Club.

12. Patriot911

Patriot911 New Member Past Donor

I enjoy many kinds of Whisky and Whiskey. Everything from the light Irish single malts to the peaty Scotchs like Ardbeg.

How about something totally different? There is a rum out there called Ron Zacapa. It is old enough to date and not nearly as expensive as one would expect. It is a 23 year old Guatemalan rum that should be enjoyed neat or on the rocks with nothing added. If you find a bottle, try it. I usually find bottles for around $35 a fifth.

13. PropagandaMachine

Have they got it at bevmo?

14. PropagandaMachine

Have you tried JW double black? I've been curious about it for a while...Tequila is a million times worse than vodka, so is gin.

15. Patriot911

Patriot911 New Member Past Donor

Not that I could see. Here is an online source. Try it. You won't be disappointed!

16. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

[​IMG]

I'm no whiskey aficionado, but my favorite is Wild Turkey. Jim Beam is my second choice...

17. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

I no longer drink alcohol. Diabetes gave me a choice between alcohol and chocolate and there was no contest. Way back when I DID drink alcohol, I enjoyed Laphroaig. Also, way back when I was stationed in Germany, the Class VI stores would sell Africa Corps whiskey - stuff captured from the Germans in WW II. The Scotch was very good and the Rum was fantastic. I have no idea how much it costs now or even if any still exists.

18. PropagandaMachine

I had Laphroaig 18 year a while back. I prefer the highland whiskey because its sweeter and the smokey flavor can be overwhelming for me, but I really liked it, I'd definitely buy it again.

19. PoliticalForum

PoliticalForum Administrator Staff Member

Bumping this thread because we have a new Food and Wine forum.

20. KSigMason

KSigMason Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I'm a big bourbon fan. My favorite is called "Jefferson Reserve", it's not too expensive, but a great taste all around.

21. Complex Blonde

Complex Blonde New Member

Makers Mark,enuf said

22. PropagandaMachine

I've been given a bottle of blue label. :alcoholic:

23. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

American whisky is nice, when you get a good sipping whiskey that goes down smooth and won't make you gag from the flavor and harshness, but I prefer a good scotch. The Glenlivet 18 year old single malt is the best scotch I ever tasted.

24. dujac

dujac Well-Known Member

stellar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. willburroughs

willburroughs Well-Known Member

Favorite bourbon: Pappy Van Winkle