Big Bird may have saved the president from a complete defeat

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by TheTaoOfBill, Oct 4, 2012.

1. TheTaoOfBill

TheTaoOfBill Well-Known Member

While it's clear Romney was the winner in the debate I'm guessing that his big bird comment may be the most talked about comment of the debate. And I don't think that comment is resonating well with Americans. I still think we'll see a bump in the polls but I think it would have been bigger without the big bird comment.

Romney broke the cardinal rule when it comes to discussing spending cuts. Always discuss how much you're going to cut. Never discuss specifically what you're going to cut. Because what you're going to cut may just be a big yellow American treasure.

2. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Whatever you say, Bill.

3. TheTaoOfBill

I wouldn't write it off. It's exploding on the internet right now. It's literally the only thing being talked about the day after the debate. That's not a good sign for Mitt.

4. Krypt

Krypt New Member

I agree it was definitely a bad move for Mitt to say that. I believe it was something like 70% didn't approve of Congress cutting funding from public broadcasting. I don't think that will help Mitt at all...

Not that I really care....both Obama and Mitt suck equally...

5. custer

custer New Member

Who gives a (*)(*)(*)(*) about big bird in the complexity of a presidential debate?

I do. i grew up with him :(

6. philipkdick

philipkdick New Member

Even the Koch brothers support PBS, which was controversial in the PBS universe. As much as I detest them I am willing to acknowledge someone when they do the right thing.
    http://www.pbs.org/ombudsman/2010/09/trust_but_verify.html
    By the way I definitely support government insurance plans.

7. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Bill, Big Bird will do just fine without government subsidies.

8. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Where, on liberal blogs?

9. keymanjim

keymanjim New Member Past Donor

10. Subdermal

Subdermal Banned

Uh...no. It's 'exploding' in liberaldom, where real people with real ideas and real wisdom do not traverse. Big Bird. Is that all you got?

Let me clue you in on something: Big Bird does not need Government subsidy. Big Bird, et al, makes so much money for public broadcasting that it is a crime that they're still sucking on the Government teat.

And you tell those 15% of American citizens who have been out of work all about your Big Bird story - that should be funny.

11. TheTaoOfBill

That's not really the point I was getting at. I haven't researched it myself. I'm talking specifically about the politics of it. This is the reason I watch the debates. I already have my horse in the race. The debates won't change my mind.

12. TheTaoOfBill

Facebook and twitter. Non political sites. (i.e. the undecideds.)

13. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

OK, so it's liberals on Facebook and Twitter. Big deal.

14. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Easily solved, assuming it even becomes an actual issue. Mitt Romney pledges a five or six figure donation to Big Bird, and challenges Barack Obama and other rich Democrats to do the same. Issue gone.

NEXT!

15. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

It's not "literally the only thing being talked about the day after the debate". What a load of garbage. Maybe it's the only thing your fellow leftists feel comfortable discussing from last night, and I don't really blame them.

23 million unemployed/underemployed. 47 million on food stamps. A foreign policy nightmare escalating in the Middle East. $4.00+ gasoline, 16 trillion in debt, food prices increasing, the middle class getting buried, job growth almost non-existent, and you want to talk about Big Bird. That just says it all.

16. TheTaoOfBill

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Big Bird has a special place in a lot of our hearts. We now have grandmothers and grandfathers watching their grandchildren learn from the same big yellow puppet that they did! No one wants to see Big Bird's funding cut. Not even some of the strictest conservatives. I think Mitt lost a few votes based on that. Not enough to overtake the success Mitt had last night though. But it definitely softened the blow.

17. TheTaoOfBill

Though this is anecdotal I've seen at least 3 on my personal newsfeed who were a-political and apathetic before pledge to vote to save big bird.

Yes...if big bird is their deciding issue my friends probably aren't very smart. But they still have voting rights. So it's something.

18. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Big bird has a special place in my heart as well. But compared to $6,000,000,000,000 in new debt, unemployment higher than when Obama took office, 17,000,000 more people on food stamps, continued trillion dollar deficits, I'm willing to bet Big Bird is a pretty minor detail.

19. TheTaoOfBill

I agree. Those were pretty hard hitting talking points. And Obama did a bad job defending them.

20. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Look dude, I'll be doing the same thing if I were a liberal- finding some heart-tugging detail to focus on. But the fact is, Obama got his ass handed to him.

That said, I'm not getting cocky about this election at all. Obama does very well in Town Hall settings. And we both know he's going to make every effort to do better in the next debate.

21. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

If Big Bird can't survive without a Government subsidy, it's time to let it go. You really think some other network wouldn't pick up Big Bird if PBS had to shut its doors? Get real.

22. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

Bill, how could he have defended them? I mean, other than several times referring to what he walked into four years ago, aka blaming Bush? How do you defend not cutting the deficit in half as promised? Obama is in a very tough spot.

23. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

Big Bird won't be cut. He'll turn a profit.

The debates were depressing for me in their entirety because I saw nothing but business as usual and no one asking about the homeowner's deduction unless I missed it. On every policy that counts (for me) there were no radical differences. I saw Romney avoid the Romneycare debacle by saying to turn state run health to the states--oh joy. I saw Obama talk about his feelings. Romney talk like he has no feelings, but ultimately other than one seeming angrier...nothing to say that we will return to a nation of individual liberty.

For me it was just a big fat wash of depression.

But...I got my feet rubbed and some margaritas out of it.

24. AceFrehley

AceFrehley New Member

I actually think letting the states decide is a great idea. Let's see some states take some different paths- 50 different ones. Then let's see what works best. A form of competition if you will.

25. TheTaoOfBill

I never denied Obama lost. He did a (*)(*)(*)(*) poor job. Way lower than I expected. And Mitt Romney was on fire! He too was the opposite I expected. The guy is 10 years older than Obama but he looked 30 years younger with the energy difference.

I'm trying my best to remain impartial in my judgement of these debates. I came on here and declared Romney the victor before listening to a single commentator.

But I think it would be silly to not acknowledge that this is a heart tugger issue that probably had an affect on voters. Especially with how much it's being spread around the internet. This is one of those issues that the few undecideds left will relate to. Undecideds at this stage tend to be swayed by emotional arguments.

So it's worthwhile to discuss the politics of that.