5 Facts You Should Commit To Memory Before Watching Tonight’s Debate

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by Captain America, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Captain America

Captain America New Member

1. The deficit is largely a product of tax cuts and wars.
    2. When US officials asked for more security in Libya, they wanted it in Tripoli, not Benghazi.
    3. 72 million people would be uninsured under Romney’s health plan.
    4. If the DREAM Act were passed, it would add $329 billion to the economy by 2030.
    5. The “six studies” that Romney cites in defense of his tax plan are actually 3 blog posts, 2 right-wing reports and 1 op-ed.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/10/16/1018931/second-presidential-debate/

Style and presentation seems to be what impresses most people. And since there are not any fact checking measures in place in "real time," it's good to watch with a little history and knowledge in your head.

2. custer

custer New Member

Well for point #1, the Bush era tax cuts greatly improved me and my family's lives and businesses, making us more prosperous, so no complaints there. i'm sure it did the same for millions of Americans.

The article, regarding point 4, doesn't explain how this would create $329 billion. Granted that these illegals are in unskilled positions and require welfare benefits, I doubt this article statement on it is true. And it will create 1.4 million jobs? Bull(*)(*)(*)(*). I read the article this one used as a source for the Dream Act, and it had no sources. Wtf?

#5 seems legit, no one knows what romney's tax plans are. But I don't like them.

regarding people being insured under Obamacare (#3), most citizens would be getting health insurance through exchange programs. this is great, but the reciprocal to this is that those who cannot afford health insurance and don't receive it through work or else, while also making 'too much' for an exchange, will have to pay the annual fee and still receive no insurance through the mandate. Also, health care premiums and deductibles are up across the board. Companies won't hire and inflation is up due to this. Please explain to me how Obamacare is beneficial to society outside of the 30 million people getting bare minimum healthcare, while 200 million others are (*)(*)(*)(*)ed because of it.

#2 to the American people I'm sure is a matter of response, not HOW or WHY the attack happened. if that's what Repubs want to waste time on figuring out, so be it. The country needs to take a responsive action to attacks on our embassies.

3. keymanjim

keymanjim New Member Past Donor

Wrong. Deficits are produced by spending too much. Not by taxing too little.
    And the amount spent on both the wars in Iraq AND Afghanistan over the course of 11 years is less that what obama has added to our national debt each year he's been in office.

4. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

On Obamacare there is Medicaid for the very low income, subsidies to cover those over that up to 400% of the Federal Poverty line and this includes a cap on how much of your income can be taken for health care in percentages up to 9.5% to that level. Which using a rough income spread is 75% of the American people. If companies opt out and pay the fine they can do so then workers get insured in an exchange and if low income are in Medicaid.

States opting out in the end could be zero the benefits to companies to be in states in the system would be high a new plant of say 1000 workers would pay $2 million but not have to worry about health care and small businesses under the exemption level would likely be well positioned to go to such states.) I would think just to be competative to get companies they would need to adopt the law and expand Medicaid to at least 100% of the poverty line and since its now elective they can decide to do that and use exchanges for the rest.

And I will note states have to do their part many things they have the responsibility for such as licensing and regulationg medical practitioners and tort reform these are not Federal matters.

5. dadoalex

dadoalex Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually, both.

Implementing a program like medicare Part D without raising taxes to pay for it is the primary cause of deficits.

Please list all of the programs implemented by the Obama administration and their cost.

You can point at the stimulus (which was 50% tax cuts) and the auto bailouts but the overwhelming majority of the deficits under Obama is just a continuation of Bush spending without taxing.

Most of it is yours. Take ownership.

In 2001 I opposed bush' tax cuts because they were not accompanied by matching spending cuts.
    I opposed Part D because there was no taxes to pay for it and no real cost controls

We've spent the last 30 years spending without paying. It is time to cut spending AND increase taxes to pay for what we get.

6. dadoalex

dadoalex Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually, both.

Implementing a program like medicare Part D without raising taxes to pay for it is the primary cause of deficits.

Please list all of the programs implemented by the Obama administration and their cost.

You can point at the stimulus (which was 50% tax cuts) and the auto bailouts but the overwhelming majority of the deficits under Obama is just a continuation of Bush spending without taxing.

Most of it is yours. Take ownership.

In 2001 I opposed bush' tax cuts because they were not accompanied by matching spending cuts.
    I opposed Part D because there was no taxes to pay for it and no real cost controls

We've spent the last 30 years spending without paying. It is time to cut spending AND increase taxes to pay for what we get.