Should evidenly delusional people be able to vote, or run for office?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Jack Napier, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

What is a 'delusion'. It is a fixed or firm belief, that is resistant to needing to provide any evidence, while at the same time, been resistant to any facts which may counter the delusion.

One may have a delusion that they are a messianic figure, and they believe it, with all of their heart, even when there is a lack of any evidence.

One may have a delusion that, through telepathy, they can communicate with intelligent life forms, in far off planets.

One may have the delusion that guardian angels can play a large part in improving your life.

The list goes on.

Some of the delusions are harmless, and one need not technically be mentally ill to suffer from a delusion, although delusions are a symtom of some mental illnesses.

People whose delusion is very consumptive, and begins to play a more central and pivotal role, in their every day life, are at risk of becoming detatched from reality, and will gravitate towards others who share their delusion, so that in their bubble, they can validate one another's false claims, and never behave objectively about them.

If someone has a delusion, such as talking to angels that they feel can help society, and it plays a pivotal part in their life, it may not be that this person is dangerous, or bad, not at all.

But is it really the best idea to let them vote, or worse, run for office?:no:

Surely if their delusion is that central to them, then there is a very serious risk, whether they set out to or not, of the delusion being brought into their decision making processs, on the most serious of issues.

Issues which do not require a delusional, that puts their faith in angels, which is not rational or the actions of a reasoned and rational thinker.

Serious issues require minds that are rational, reasoned, not cluttered up or shaped by made up self delusions, surely?

You can talk about 'rights' if you like, but in the end, if giving delusionals the keys to your country, damages it, or there is a risk that the delusion will be pervasive into the conduct of the man, then is it not more responsible not to risk it?

Would you hand the keys of a Ferrari to a kid that had just past their test, or whose mind was altered, by drugs, and consider that a good use of liberty, or just plain asking for trouble?

Take Romney. Now before anyone says anything, I don't have time for either him or Obama, so let's not go over nuance.

But you just cannot detach yourself from the small matter that the next President of the United States, could be a man who thinks that Joe Smith is the half brother of Jesus, and that in NYC one day, he was visited by a magic angel, who gave him some magic plates, to read some magic tablets.:p

Which all then magically vanished.

I mean, come on, in any other context, if someone said they were into that, you may smile, and walk away slowly, facing them at all times!

You cannot seperate the two things, believe what you wish imo, or have whatever delusions you like, but it is just not sane or responsible, to let a plainly deluded person possibly be into one of the highest chairs in the World.

Would you be okay if Rael was a candidate?

Or Jim Sparks, or Billy Meir, or George Adamski?

If not, aren't you being a hypocite, if you are okay with one delusion, and not another?

2. Libhater

Libhater Well-Known Member

Would all the delusional people who voted for obama believing that he was the messiah be allowed to vote, ever?

3. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Well-Known Member

I think no, but only in serious cases. Just like children, there are some people who must have a legal caretaker due to their mental illness, because they are incapable of informed decisions. There should not be a double standard, so if children cannot vote, the same should apply to these people.

4. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

You probably do not realize that Conscience talks to some people, as if that Freudian archetype is have a personal relationship withthe individual so inclined. You don't notice because the person does not credit Conscience with the thoughts that are motivating his actions and/or behavior.

We often get upset when a religious person does give credit to Jesus, for instance.
    But we forget that it usually makes sense when we ask, even in jest, "What would Jesus do?"

The funny thing, about asking that, is that we actually pretty much know the answer.
    Jesus is rather symbolic with do the right thing, the truthful and morally correct thing.

Then we have people like Rev Martin Luther King who believed they were the messiah of Civil Rights, but had to prove it by sacrifice.
    We see a 14 year old muslim girl possessed in the same way, hearing the Truth in spite of centuries of propaganda, that she has right to throw off male domination.

But these people are hearing Fruedian voices which when examined, are not a sign of madness.

There are others, truly going mad, Schizoid insanity over taking them.
    Nevertheless, even in their mental illnes, not everything they would do politically is crazy.

Jesse Jackson's son is a congressman who became mentally sick but nevertheless held a Congressional Seat, the one vacated by Obama.
    In his madness he was sane enough to remember the promise of Obama to raise the Minumim Wage.
    He also saw that this ine thing can save a crazy economy in America that is about to disintegrate.

Mad as the idea seems at first, Jackson saw outside the "Box," and realized that the working people are the ONLY people who can actually BUY stuff.

The economy is standing still, so no more members into it are permitted until it expands and needs more helpers.
    But the working people are stuck.
    They are cash poor, trying to pay off debt and save for a possible job loss themselves.

Jackson saw that a raise for Minimum Wage workers would also force raise to Tickle Up.
    That would give working people more money so that they would buy Stuff.
    That would force companies to make more stuf, which would force hiring of more workers.

This expansion of the Economy would solve all our problems immediately.

Crazy?
    Crazy but true!

[​IMG]

5. SkullKrusher

SkullKrusher Banned

Is it a form of delusion to not realize, or be so indifferent as to begin a topic sentence with a primary word that is misspelled? Is it a form of lazyass syndrome to not review the sentence typed, before posting it?

Perhaps obsessive compulsive behavior on my part, contributes to this observation, therefore, the slight error can be forgiven, but not necessarily forgotten.

The proposition, is still valid, nonetheless, and with the corrected word "evidently" preceding the word "dillusional" becomes a "self evident" truth, namely, that yes, it is quite apparent that Mitt Romney is dillusional, and is a pathological liar.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon the citizens of the USA, to decide if the form of dillusion exhibited by Romney, relative to the consensus of what is an appropriate level of this type of dillusion, rises to a level that would make it inappropriate for him to be given such a powerful position in society.

6. Object227

Object227 Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

Headline: Jack Napier declared delusional, blocked from voting. Details at 9.

7. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

Romney seemed to be accusing Obama of being delusional and behaving as the economic messiah who would simply "enact" a whole new culture of green energy by spending $90 Billion dollars with his supporters and associates.

He spent Billions at GM, (who would build Electric Cars), and billions more at a brand new company that would just simply invent a practical battery to run them.
    He was crazy enough to think people would just buy them and the world would change.

He forgot that Demand is the first thing entrepreneur's look for, and then they meet it.
    Nobody wants to spend more of a vehicle that can catch fire, will travel only a short distance, takes hours to recharge, and costs double.

He also wants to spend billions for Railroad passenger lines, while Amtrak is unable to attract riders and pay its bills.
    He subsidized Green Energy for windmills that created few jobs, while ignoring millions of Coal workers and ways to clean up that product.

Sitting in a college classroom and brainstorming how nice it would be if the world ran the way he imagined has not worked out practically, but he is undaunted as are his faithful followers.

8. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

Did the question touch a nerve?

Do you harbour an invisible friend delusion, of some sort, and my question made you feel attacking?

9. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

:)

I have never cast a vote in my life.

Why would I endorse a rigged race?

10. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

I suppose you could place certain limits on voting and running for office based on mental stability.

This is a very tricky thing to navigate, however.

11. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

Okay, question one.

If I belived in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and this was more key to my life, than any other thing, would you wish to give me the keys to high office, or sharp stuff?

12. Not The Guardian

Not The Guardian Well-Known Member

Do you have a valid Voter ID?

13. PropagandaMachine

PropagandaMachine New Member

DO you always have to be so partisan? Oh wait you're called Libhater...should you be allowed to vote?

14. Libhater

Anyone such as myself who takes a strong stand against the ideologies that have been America's enemies, i.e. modern day liberalism should not only have the right to vote, but should be given special authority to deny known and self admited liberals the right to vote against America's best interests.

15. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

A what?

Do you need that there?

Well, a bit of paper does not stop one from being delusional.

It is surely dangerous to have a man who is deluded, as President, you must see that, at least?

16. PropagandaMachine

So freedom of opinion shouldn't be allowed in the US? Yep I'm marking you down for crazy. If not for the fact that you hate individuals based on their political ideologies. You're obsessed.

17. Libhater

I don't hate these un/anti American liberals, for as I've said before....I have three liberal brothers who I don't hate. Call me a patriotic American who wants to clean up our domestic enemies el pronto. Come join the ride with me starting in January when we have a real patriotic American sitting in the oval office.

18. Libhater

I don't hate these un/anti American liberals, for as I've said before....I have three liberal brothers who I don't hate. Call me a patriotic American who wants to clean up our domestic enemies el pronto. Come join the ride with me starting in January when we have a real patriotic American sitting in the oval office. :eyepopping:

19. Not The Guardian

Not The Guardian Well-Known Member

You didn't answer my question.

Are you registered to vote?

20. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

I don't need to register to vote.

This is not about a registration process.

It is about delusionals not being able to run for high office, and possibly letting delusionals vote in large number, being a dangerous thing.

21. PropagandaMachine

So freedom of opinion shouldn't be allowed in the US when it comes to voting? A simple yes or no will do.

22. darckriver

darckriver New Member Past Donor

If all the delusional people were precluded from voting and from running for public office, we wouldn't have a government. What the hell - let's give it a try.

23. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

Should delusional people be able to vote, or run for office?

Well about 30% of the people are going to vote for a republican thinking he is a 'true' conservative. Delusional!

And about 30% of the people are going to vote for an incumbent who they believe did an outstanding job for the last few years. Delusional!

Oh if only it were possible.

24. SkullKrusher

SkullKrusher Banned

Nothing is floating in my harbor, except ships which stay afloat, unlike the HMS Romney, which is a ship floundering and about to sink with all hands on board.

It is certainly evident, from the title of your thread that you choose purposely to misspell, which is evidence of some form of delusion in itself. However, for my part, that does not preclude you from continuing to post. Therefore, by extension of this logic, your question is answered, which is that delusion does not preclude participation, and since voting is the primary form of participation in a Democracy, then delusional people can still vote.

And since Romensia delusion is permissible among Conservatives, Romney the Delusional ,unfortunately has to be allowed to be their choice of candidate, under the rules of our Democracy. IF he gets elected, however, THEN we proceed immediatley to Impeachment proceedings on the record of delusion he has already established, while running as a candidate for 6 years.

25. Jack Napier

Jack Napier Banned

Well, you could still have one, it would just be one of non delusional and rational people.

It's not too much to ask that those running for Gov office are not delusionals, imo.