Over $60,000 in Welfare Spent Per Household in Poverty

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Bluesguy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Just amazing, and that would mostly be tax free so a family EARNING that net income would have to earning about $75,000.

"New data compiled by the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee shows that, last year, the United States spent over $60,000 to support welfare programs per each household that is in poverty. The calculations are based on data from the Census, the Office of Management and Budget, and the Congressional Research Services.
    "According to the Census’s American Community Survey, the number of households with incomes below the poverty line in 2011 was 16,807,795," the Senate Budget Committee notes. "If you divide total federal and state spending by the number of households with incomes below the poverty line, the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011."

This dollar figure is almost three times the amount the average household on poverty lives on per year. "If the spending on these programs were converted into cash, and distributed exclusively to the nation’s households below the poverty line, this cash amount would be over 2.5 times the federal poverty threshold for a family of four, which in 2011 was $22,350 (see table in this link)," the Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee note.

To be clear, not all households living below the poverty line receive $61,194 worth of assistance per year. After all, many above the poverty line also receive benefits from social welfare programs (e.g. pell grants).
    But if welfare is meant to help bring those below the poverty line to a better place, it helps demonstrate that numbers do not add up.
    As for the welfare programs, the Republicans on the Senate Budget Committee note:

A congressional report from CRS recently revealed that the United States now spends more on means-tested welfare than any other item in the federal budget—including Social Security, Medicare, or national defense. Including state contributions to the roughly 80 federal poverty programs, the total amount spent in 2011 was approximately $1 trillion. Federal spending alone on these programs was up 32 percent since 2008.
    The U.S. Census Bureau estimated that almost 110 million Americans received some form of means-tested welfare in 2011. These figures exclude entitlements like Medicare and Social Security to which people contribute, and they refer exclusively to low-income direct and indirect financial support—such as food stamps, public housing, child care, energy assistance, direct cash aid, etc. For instance, 47 million Americans currently receive food stamps, and USDA has engaged in an aggressive outreach campaign to boost enrollment even further, arguing that “every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy… It’s the most direct stimulus you can get.” (Economic growth, however, is weaker this year than the two years prior, even as food stamp “stimulus” has reached an all-time high.)
    [​IMG]"
    http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/over-60000-welfare-spentper-household-poverty_657889.html

Since 2008 the Democrats have controlled spending and what have they done, increased such spending 32% and what do we have to show for it, more people in poverty, over 40% more people on food stamps, more people giving up looking for work, four years of TRILLION DOLLAR DEFICITS. This is moving "forward"?

2. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

This is the worst graph I've ever seen. It convinced me that a second Obama term was all I needed to SHRUG.

[​IMG]

It shows the futility of the Welfare Queen's effort to seek employment.

Read it and weep.

3. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

60k per household ain't too bad, especially for doing nothing. I know couples who have both people working full time jobs and they barely pull in 60k before taxes.

4. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

I will bet all the wealthy Right Wingers I know who have impoverished Grandma and Grandpa of all their wealth in order to get them into medicaid assisted living homes don't like to count themselves as welfare frauds.

But they ARE!

Further, this phony chart, with NO sourcing of figures or explanations of what "state contributions to federal welfare" are and where the number came from, this looks like basic and utter BS. As usual.

5. kenrichaed

kenrichaed Banned

Liberals only care about buying a permanent voting block in this country and they are doing it with welfare spending. One more Obama term and you will never see anyone but a democrat in the White House for a very very long time.

6. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

The 12 million illegals he grants amnesty to will make sure of that.

7. SpaceCricket79

SpaceCricket79 New Member Past Donor

Dems have created a system where in some cases it is actually more profitable to just stay unemployed and live off of taxpayer money rather than go out and look for a job. I think they almost like this, because they know that people Dependant on welfare are more likely to vote Democrat - it's about selling out their country for votes at the expense of responsible people.

8. fiddlerdave

What BS.

$200/mo food stamps. A maximum of $225 per month for a maximum of three months welfare for an able bodied adult. For both those benefits you have to work at community service.

Exactly how is it "more profitable" to stay unemployed?

9. fiddlerdave

So WHY didn't Obama DO that BEFORE this election where he could USE these "12 million votes".

Win or lose, Obama doesn't NEED illegal votes after Nov.

10. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

If the tax and spenders actually wanted to have a positive effect on poverty, they'd support giving everyone a sum of money, then only taxing income above that amount.

This way there's be no disincentive to find work, as that initial amount of money won't disappear once you get a good job.

11. fiddlerdave

A BIG part of poverty and government costs is health problems, as even the OP chart evidences with the biggest number being the Medicaid budget.

Now, rational people who don't froth at the mouth at government spending for AMERICANS (our so-called "conservatives" in this thread don't seem to mind spending TRILLIONS overseas) are not quite sure how sick children and disabled adults and sick elderly in Medicaid nursing homes are supposed to "go get jobs", so why don't you tell us, Mr. Steady Pie or SpaceCricket how that is specifically supposed to work?

12. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

The enormous bureaucracy giving out the federal goodies with money borrowed from China or simply printed by the Fed and voting Democrat are a drag chute on the national economy.

13. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

What's clear from the report is how welfare assistance, in many forms, has drastically increased since President Sugar Daddy took office. Mitt Romney was burned by his 47% comment because he didn't phrase it properly but the core of his comment, that Obama has used taxpayer's money to buy loyalty from his constituency, is absolutely right on the mark!

The leftist playbook uses other people's money to finance their giveaways that insure their voter base. Obama has only increased the rate of that unethical scheme. Leftists are lying scum!

14. Angedras

Angedras New Member

15. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

ZING! .............& 11 characters

16. Max Frost

Max Frost New Member

All those retirees on SS who worked all their lives and people in the military who are a big part of the 47% probably feel a little angry being described as "on the dole". But lets hope that description gets around more and more. That Romney slip of the tongue which he has tried to run from may very well be seen as the event that cost him the election.

17. Angedras

Angedras New Member

Thanks Max.

I couldn't find a cute little sign depicting anything about the 49 million food stamp recipients.

:(

18. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

When I was on welfare---able bodied adults didn't get food stamps. Has that changed?

What I do remember from when I was a single mother with one son--- is that my nice roomy home cost $25 per month. I had a medical card that covered EVERYTHING it seemed that you could imagine. I had so much in food stamps that I bought expensive steaks and condiments. I had plenty of cash. I worked full time at minimum wage---but declined raises or excessive hours mainly because I would lose all my benefits.

When I decided to go to school----thinking I would keep what I had---I was kicked off by my social worker WHO I found out later did it on purpose. I think Mrs. Smith might have been in burnout mode. I could have received many benefits while going to school but she kicked me off anyway. She gave me the best gift I could have ever received.

That was 27 years ago...maybe things have changed. Ulimately the sad fact is---that I truely learned budgeting after the welfare ended, the school loans ended and I had a job after college. Never had a need to budget until then.

19. Bluesguy

Try reading the link.

20. Bluesguy

Kinda depends on what that spending is..........giving AMERICANS "free - paid for by other taxpayers - smartphones..................yes that is to be frowned upon.

If we did we would mind.

And conservatives have never frowned upon helping the TRULY needy.

21. Hard-Driver

Hard-Driver Well-Known Member Past Donor

Strange. I have only ever received two checks from the government that weren't tax refunds.

First, In 2003, before the elections, George Bush sent me a $400 checks, as he did all taxpayers with children.
    Second, in 2008, before the elections, George Bush sent me a "stimulus" check, as he did all taxpayers.

But, if it is the democrats are who try to buy votes, why haven't I gotten my election check like I did from Bush for the last two elections?

22. Bluesguy

The first Bush tax "rebate" started issuing the rebates in June of 2001, shortly AFTER the election and without a pending one and finished in September. They were issued according to your social security number. AND you paid it back when you filed your income taxes the following April. It was merely an "advance" on your coming tax rate cut. While you filed at the new lower rate the tables that year took it back which is why there was confusion at the time and people wondering why their taxes didn't go down much at the lower rates.

The second were issued in April of 2008 long before we were even close and since he was not running anyway.................got a point?

23. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Both list sources.....

24. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I'm sorry, but saying the dems control spending, even now is simply not true in any sense. It's the house's job to come up with a budget.

25. Bluesguy

It is both sides job to come up with a budget and then they enter into reconciliation. The House Republicans HAVE passed budgets. The Democrats haven't passed one since the first half of 2009. THEY controlled the spending in FY2008 and FY2009 where the HUGE increase in the deficit happened. Obama supported and voted for both of those budgets and signed the 2009 into law as President.