NJ Unions Turn away Alabama Utility Workers Sent to Help Restore Power

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PatriotNews, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PatriotNews

PatriotNews Well-Known Member

2. skeptic-f

skeptic-f New Member

Good for them! Don't let the union-busting a - - holes get a foot in the door!

3. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Wow. Well, if they really want to freeze in the dark, more power to them.

4. Pred

Pred Well-Known Member

Typical union behavior. I can't have my crew plug a laptop into the wall for a meeting in major hotels. We need a trained 75 yr old to do it, then sit there and fall asleep. He's a very valuable member of the electrician staff. No I'm NOT joking.

5. philipkdick

philipkdick New Member

How many times am I going to have stomp on this lie before you all stop posting it. This is a complete and total lie! Get it! IT NEVER HAPPENED! We have many dead and wounded here and much property destruction after the worst catastrophe that has happened here. STOP TRYING TO SPIN THIS TRAGEDY TO SCORE POLITICAL POINTS!

THE TRUTH

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ws_welcom.html

Non-union utility crews from out of state can work in N.J., power companies say
    By Richard Khavkine/The Star-Ledger
    on November 02, 2012 at 11:25 AM, updated November 02, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Major utility companies in New Jersey said that they are welcoming any and all out-of-state crews helping to restore power, and have not refused any non-union contractors.

At least one media report out of Alabama claims that personnel from that state were turned away in Seaside Heights because they were not affiliated with a union.

“We take crews as they become available,” said Ron Morano, a spokesman for Jersey Central Power & Light. “Everyone understands this is an all-hands-on-deck event.”

He said crews from throughout the nation were now working in JCP&L’s service area, including from California, Idaho, Kentucky, Florida, Michigan and North Carolina.

He did suggest that municipal companies might have issues working side-by-side with non-unionized contractors.

“We did not turn any crews away,” he said.

A Public Service Electric & Gas spokeswoman also said the extent of damage from Monday’s superstorm called for as much manpower as could get here.

“We have not turned any mutual-aid crews away,” Deann Muzikar said. “We’re taking any help we can possibly get.”

As of Wednesday, about 1,050 out-of-state contractors were working in PSE&G’s service area, she said, including from utility companies in Canada, Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania and other states.

“Every day we’re getting more and more,” Muzicar said.

The president and business manager of Hightstown-based Local 94 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Chip Gerrity, also said it would be foolish to favor one set of workers over another after the devastation to the electric infrastructure.

“I want union guys first, obviously,” Gerrity said. “But with an event like this you want everybody you can get.”

Bill Yell, communications manager for Huntsville (Ala.) Utilities, said he was not aware that a union issue had prevented three of that company’s crews from working in New Jersey.

Huntsville originally sent two 3-man bucket crews and one 3-man pole-setting crew to Seaside Heights, but that all nine had since been dispatched to Long Island, Yell said.

“The reason we’re not working with the New Jersey system is that they had all the crews they could handle,” he said.

The fact that those crews are not unionized did not have any effect, he said.

“They didn’t have any problems with us,” he said.

Seaside Heights' municipal electric utility could not be reached this morning.
    Last edited by philipkdick; Today at 06:38 PM.
    “The true measure of a man is not his intelligence or how high he rises in this freak establishment. No, the true measure of a man is this: how quickly can he respond to the needs of others and how much of himself he can give.”
    ― Philip K. Dick

6. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Banned

Another lying thread bites the dust.

7. Zxereus

Zxereus Well-Known Member Past Donor

I listened to the audio tape of an Alabama TV station reporting this story. I'll tell you what, I don't feel as sorry for these folks right now if they're going to pull crap like this. You wonder where the term "union thug" comes from, well here you go.

8. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

No. Less power to them. If some gutless clown wants to congratulate the piggish unions for turning away help in New Jersey let him stand up before the people freezing and suffering due to lack of power and explain why he thinks it's great they are in misery.
    Let's see if the mob leaves enough of him to mail home in an envelope.

9. Max Frost

Max Frost New Member

And yet the disinformation continues. No help was turned away. The story has been repudiated by all involved as a previous post in this thread shows.

10. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Banned

It makes me think can some people on here actually read English? I think they are just reading the first post and piling in,some people will believe any old rubbish posted on some daft website and repeated on faux news.

11. philipkdick

philipkdick New Member

Yeah you're right. There is just no sense in arguing with some people. We all know what their real problem with the President is. Let's see what kind of song they are singing on Wednesday.

12. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says dem non-union rumors not true...
    :grandma:
    Alabama utilities deny anti-union 'rumor'
    Nov. 2 (UPI) -- Three Alabama utility companies Friday denied reports their crews weren't permitted to help restore power in New Jersey because the workers were non-union.
    See also:

New Jersey struggles with gas supply
    Nov. 2 (UPI) -- New Jersey residents are grappling with gasoline shortages in the aftermath of hurricane Sandy.

13. Joker

Joker Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Most people here don't read the linked articles. Heck, I've found most people who post the articles don't even actually read them. I mean, if PatriotNews had, he would have realized this all came about from a big misunderstanding.

14. Zxereus

Look (*)(*)(*)(*)it, stop pointing fingers at everybody. If the story isn't true, that's fine, but I for one listened to the report from the Alabama TV station, and I had no reason to disbelieve it !
    There was audio of some workers calling some of the workers "scabs" and other names. If it was completely manufactured then someone needs to further investigate this, but I know what I heard.
    "

15. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

Less, Baby, less.

16. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

The true beauty of such a story is that even if it isn't 100% true, it's 100% believable. It meets expectations for a union sheeeethole like NJ.

17. Zxereus

Here are some comments left on the local Alabama TV station's website. I want to post them just to show that no one here was trying to lie to anyone. This was a story reported, and many of us heard it.

http://www.local15tv.com/mostpopula...d-Away-from-Storm/IAVulhYmb0CIYSUzKLxEew.cspx

18. Zxereus

Confusion causes utility crew to return from recovery effort

http://www.14news.com/story/19981857/some-nonunion-ala-crews-turned-away-from-sandy-recovery

19. Zxereus

At this point, I want to know about the audio of the namecalling. Was it completely manufactured, or a different incident, etc. ?

20. Joker

Joker Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I'm surprised. Propagandists are usually smart enough not to make their motives clear.

21. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

What, pray tell, would that be?