It's a long way to a vote about our gun control

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Bowerbird, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Forgive - Night duty catching up again and I had AC DC's classic "Long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll" playing in my head
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18688488

So are we disadvantaging country kids??

2. dumbanddumber

dumbanddumber New Member

My 2 cents - it should be left to proffessionals who can kill the animals with one shot.

3. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

The kids` parents should be the ones to judge what`s best for their kids. Obviously, as in anything in life, there are risks involved, and there are accidents, but kids need to be allowed to live, if they are to grow. I grew up in an environment where firearms were part of life, and strictly controlled by my parents. Being taught to shoot at an early age, gave me a sense of responsibility through the awareness of the shocking consequenses of carelessness. My father was a bren gunner in WW2, and I will always remember, as a young boy, the horror I had for the idea of shooting a .303 at another human being. Guns taught me to hate war, and before I started primary school, I had decided that if I was ever called to war, I would be a medic.

4. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

Yes, we are disadvantaging ALL our kids. We continue to try and procure laws that mollycoddle kids.

I agree entirely with Aussies opinion, 'kids need to develop'. This article is obviously biased against the idea from the line 'Condemned by some as a bloodthirsty move to impose a violent culture on children...' I do not condemn it for it but lets us face it if we continue to isolate children from that may or may not hurt them how will they learn.

Infants learn that fire burns by getting burnt, not by being told. As long as they get proper education on the subjects Then where is the problem?

5. Adultmale

Adultmale Active Member Past Donor

What is all the fuss about? When I was a kid guns where just, well, guns. Everyone knew how dangerous they could be if miss handled but they had no special significance, they were just tools. Nothing has changed, they are still just tools. Remember in Queensland at least, there were virtually no gun laws up until 1990 when the Goss labor government first introduced licences. There was never any "gun problem", this idea is an invention of the wacko anti gun lobby. To say now it is somehow bad for young teenagers to go hunting is ridiculous. My mates and I often used to go rabbit hunting with our .22's and 410's starting when we were 14 years old. Playing with guns, shooting at targets was a very popular pass time for teenagers once, at least up until the gun laws were brought in and guns demonised by the pathetic anti gun lobby.

6. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

The focus should be on development of safety (attitude and skills) and competence. And even a feral animal should be dispatched humanely. A parent shouldn't let a child give it a go until they have demonstrated the required competencies.

7. Bain

Bain New Member

I was in third grade. 9 years old and my dad got me a single barrel 10 gauge for my birthday. I will never forget my first shot, loosing my footing and falling back on my ass and my dad laughing. Forever imprinted into my memory. After that I was a cold blooded killer, rabbits and squirrels fell in my path. Learned how to skin and clean them, grandma took care of the cooking. Looking back it was a pretty fun childhood.

8. Bowerbird

You would be surprised but so did I - I was taught how to shoot, well they tried I missed a lot but fortunately for both you and I we had responsible parents. Where there are guns and children there will be accidents

9. Bowerbird

What has changed is the glamorisation of guns

10. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Doesn't seem likely. NSW seems to be pretty antigun as it is.

I live in QLD and we travel to NSW to play paintball. NSW treats paintball markers as semiautomatic rifles (a much harder licence to obtain) whereas the rest of the country I believe (well, not Tasmania where paintball markers are banned) treats them as air rifles which is a much lower licence to obtain.

11. Bowerbird

Interesting! Mind you that was more or less what was going through my head (along with AC/DC) when I wrote the title - it IS a long way from lobbying for a change in the law to enactment for said law

Especially here - Every doctor in Australia knows and is capable of googling up the statistics on child risk with firearms - especially the statistics from America. I have to say as a health professional who has seen far far too many gunshot injuries, especially to the face, I am SOOOOOOOO glad we do not have the rate of gunshot injuries America has.

12. Adultmale

Why does anyone need a licence for a paintball gun FFS!!! I could do more damage throwing a cricket ball at someone! Yes I have played painball, sure they hurt and leave a bruise but that's about all. However, I could literaly break your skull with a cricket ball! This is a good example of how governments go completely overboard through listening to minority extremist groups who happen to have the media's ear at the time instead of applying a bit mature, rational thought to the issue.

13. Panzerkampfwagen

Certain weapons in Australia requires licences. Paintball markers are one of these. It's illegal to own a paintball marker without a licence. It's illegal to use a paintball marker in NSW on a licenced field unless the field owns it or you have a licence. You can't use a friend's paintball marker in NSW unless you are licences. In other states you can.

14. aussiefree2ride

What about water pistols? Cap guns? Aren`t they afraid that these lethal weapons will turn the entire population into mass murdering psychopaths?

15. Adultmale

A paintball marker is a WEAPON????

16. Panzerkampfwagen

Idiotic comparison.

17. Panzerkampfwagen

Ever been hit by one?

18. aussiefree2ride

They really mess up your hair.

ffs

19. Recusant

Recusant Active Member

If you're not wearing face protection, can they damage your eyes or whatever?

20. Panzerkampfwagen

Blindness.

21. Adultmale

Ever seen someone who has been hit in the face with a cricket ball? Ask BB about the injuries she has seen suffered by children falling off pushbikes. More kids drown in backyard swimming pools every year than are killed by paintball guns. Well, actually no kids are killed by paintball guns. I do not believe anyone has ever been killed by a pintball gun so what is the justification in calling them dangerous weapons and requiring a licence to own one? It is absurd to suggest that they are in any shape or form a dangerous weapon. When I was a kid I was on two occassions injuried in rock throwing battles with other groups of other kids. Both times I needed stitches, one time it was five stitches in the side of my head. I wasn't the only one, other kids suffered similar injuries. If we had paintball guns no one would have been hurt.

22. Bowerbird

Meh! When it comes ot eye injuries Squash balls - rumour is they took the diameter of the eye socket and made the squash ball 1 CM smaller. As for paintball - better off with high pressure water cannons - more fun and cooler in summer

23. aussiefree2ride

You of all people should know. There are lots of ways to go blind.

24. Panzerkampfwagen

Paintball is one of the safest sports around, if not the safest. However, that's because they make you wear a mask.

25. Bowerbird

Nothing wrong with that!!