Majority Say Treating Mental Health, Not Gun Control, Key to Preventing Mass Shooting

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Professor Peabody, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

48% vs 27%? Liberals are simply howling at the moon with their calls for more gun control when the majority knows that improved mental health and reduced exposure to violent video games and movies are the real root of the issue. How much more ridiculous and short sighted do they want the rest of the country to see them as. It's time for them to drop their pretences and get to work solving the real issues surrounding the current spate of violence by our youth.

2. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

The country is split 50 / 50 for gun and anti gun polls, but it takes at least 2/3rds of americans to approve of something before congress has enough support to act.

3. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is no problem. Everyone's trying to find a solution to a non-issue. If everyone is purchasing firearms voluntarily then it's all good.

Liberals are fine with accepting some terrorists will get through, they don't propose taking away their rights via torture to lower a terrorism death-toll. Why do they advocate taking away the rights of tens of millions of responsible gun owners just to lower a shooting death-toll? It's literally the exact same situation.

Life sucks sometimes: people die. That's no reason to go around taking away individual liberty.

4. woodystylez

woodystylez Banned

So the party that hates funding to mental health is now in favor of more accessability? And the party that hates funding to public schools now wants armed guards who's paychecks will be classified under "entitlements".

Yet the Right screams minimizing magazine size and/or a few extra questions on a test are a "knee jerk reaction". I'm pretty sure Hurricane Sandy put this into perspective when Romney wanted to end funding to FEMA. The worst happened then all of a sudden it isn't crazy to think ahead. Sounds pretty knee jerk to me. Much more than the people wondering about these modified guns for years.

5. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

6. Osiris Faction

Osiris Faction Well-Known Member

Much like everything in life there has to be a balance.

Yes we need improvements on mental health.

Yes we need improvements on gun control.

Here's a simple suggestion: Mental health background screening for individuals attempting to buy guns.

Here's another: Close the gun show loophole. So criminals can't walk into a gun show and buy a weapon without a background check being run.

But rather than make actual concerted efforts and take part in a substantial debate the right wing members of this forum would rather have a song and dance competition for who can tap dance around the issues best without actually saying anything of meaning.

7. Backtothefront

Backtothefront New Member

This is exactly what the proposal will likely come down to.

The GOP thugs have been slashing the snot out of healthcare for years with mental health being gutted to the bone. The dems will likely (and I hope) propose more access to mental health care and stricter regulations on acquiring and owning a gun in return for the right wing trash to keep "durrrr gunnzzzzzzz!".

8. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

If I was a criminal or had a criminal intent I wouldn't buy a gun. I would simply burglarize three random houses and steal theirs. That way I could get about a half dozen or so. No background check required.

9. Osiris Faction

I thought owning guns made it less likely for burglars to target you?

Made you safer?

Face it, the majority of guns used in crime have been bought legally, sold by private citizens who didn't acquire a background check when selling, bought at a gun show, or yes stolen.

10. Professor Peabody

Where do you get this stuff from?

11. RP12

RP12 Well-Known Member

Interesting can you please post these figures and the votes for it?

12. Professor Peabody

I have some latex gloves if you need it, just don't touch.

13. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, goodie.

The "majority" must be totally excited that Obamacare REQUIRES mental health coverage to be a part of ALL health insurance policies. Cutting care for mental illnesses has LONG been the FIRST "cost saving" part of health insurance policies that employers have cut to save themselves money.

And in fact, I think it very much WILL help MANY mentally ill people, and parents of mentally ill children, to get decent and proper treatment for their mentally ill chidren.

Gad to have the majority on board!

14. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

What? Mental health screening for people that want to buy guns? That's a completely unreasonable demand, trusting that much in voodoo science is ludicrousness of the highest levels...

15. k995

k995 Well-Known Member

As I predicted, people are going to blame his "mental health" and just that.

As already stated he had trouble connecting socially, he wasnt a deranged person .

It was probably one of the things that contributed to why he snapped like that, but a lot of other things were in play as well.

And no study shows any link between violence and video games, you might as wel blame rap or rock music.

16. Professor Peabody

How many ways can we tell them that they are flat out wrong?

17. k995

k995 Well-Known Member

18. Dispondent

19. k995

k995 Well-Known Member

Yet a poll shows a mayority supports this.

Either you agree youre argument was BS, or taxes should be raised on the wealthy.

20. Osiris Faction

Because being diagnosed with bipolar disorder or other such psychosis is a great indicator for someone who wants to purchase a weapon.

21. Dispondent

I've seen and worked in the voodoo science fields, no thanks... I left it because I couldn't follow their BS, from what I've seen 99% are more (*)(*)(*)(*)ed up than their patients and looking for validation or simply people worse off than they are... These are not the people that should or shouldn't determine who does or doesn't get to own a gun.

22. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

They are though, in many jurisdictions you need a Doctors note to be able to purchase a gun legally.

As government takes over health care Doctors will become an extension of the long arm of the government, over who can and cannot own a firearm until the liberty is finally suppressed.

Authoritarian control does not happen overnight, it is a slow process and many will not even realize their guns are being taken before its too late. There will be no stand offs like Waco, the government has learned from that.

23. Osiris Faction

Yep, sure.

Qualified, trained, schooled individual. Not qualified to diagnose psychological disorder.

No one said anything about a person having to go through a psyche eval for a gun.

However, a psychological background screen would be a good step.

24. Osiris Faction

Link on that?

Source? Evidence?

25. Dispondent

Well, thank God for gun shows and private purchases then...

No fears, as people start to see how absolutely inept and inefficient the government is when it comes to healthcare, it will end. This country is like no other in that regard, we have the best available, and use it, when that starts to fail, we will demand a return to it.

Authoritarian control will not happen here until you kill off all the people like me...