Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mitt Ryan, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitt Ryan

Mitt Ryan Well-Known Member

Post your tough questions pertaining to God/Jesus/Holy Bible and I will do my best to clarify and make sense of it to those who are unaware...

I don't want my intentions to come across as converting you or whatever lol... but rather clear up things etc... so ask away.

2. taikoo

taikoo Banned

Why does the bible describe a world wide flood when no such event actually happened?

3. Vicariously I

Vicariously I Well-Known Member

Or I could just link the majority of the threads already created on this forum. It's true that questions can be asked differently and be asked to find different answers but you have yet to actually answer anything already posted in a way that cleared anything up. Theists never clear things up with their answers, instead it seems they add more to the pool in attempt to muddy the waters and prevent people from seeing the depths of the bull (*)(*)(*)(*).

4. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

At that time the known world did not include the Americas and incidents of flooding around the Black Sea and the destruction of whole cities is a part of known history. Many diverse religious beliefs also reference a 'great flood' as well.

5. Wolverine

Wolverine New Member Past Donor

Why is God all powerful and all knowing, but yet your petty apologetic excuses reduce God to something that is not all powerful and all knowing?

6. Wolverine

Why would God need to sacrifice Himself to Himself to convince Himself to change the Rules He Himself put into place knowing ahead of time (God is above time, is He not?) the He would need to Sacrifice Himself to Himself to convince Himself to change those rules?

7. Wolverine

Why do your apologetic excuses leave a world ruled by your god indistinguishable from a world without a god?

8. Pasithea

Pasithea Banned at Members Request Past Donor

How come God is so bipolar in the Old Testament and then mellows out for a while in the New Testament (you know, til we get to the insanity of Revelations). Did he finally start taking his meds?

9. Wolverine

10. Wolverine

Why create all time and space just to tell desert people how to live?

11. Wolverine

Why is the punishment of a thought crime (denying God) greater than genocide?

Why punish people for believing other religions while at the same time giving them no reason to choose Christianity over those other religions?

12. Wolverine

Why does God answer petty prayers here in a first world nation, but ignores the cries of he starving in third world countries?

13. Mitt Ryan

That's an invalid question. You can't matter of factly say that no such event actually happened but you can most certainly say you don't believed it happened.

Since I believe in God and the Holy Bible is the Word of God, I believe that event did happen. The Lord observed human wickedness on the earth, He saw all the evil and He was sorry He ever made human beings.

So He decided to wipe out the human race from the face of the earth. He destroyed people, animals, and even birds but He spared Noah and his family and a pair of every kind of animal---male and female, and pairs of every kind of bird.

Noah was told to build a boat and after the boat was built, He and his family and the pairs of animals and birds got into the boat then the great flood came to cover the earth. (Gen. 7)

And so why is that so hard to believe?...you already know how people can be so rottenly wicked and evil!

14. Mitt Ryan

You can't say matter of factly it's all lies, but you can most certainly say you don't believe what we are saying.

I always try my best to make it perfectly clear to a person who is confused and don't understand what's the meaning of a particular verse or passage that confuses them.

I know one thing or a common mistake a lot of atheist make, when they read a particular verse of passage in the Holy Bible they seem to misinterpret the real meaning of the passage because they take everything literally. And that's why I'm here to try to help yall in your confusion.

15. Mitt Ryan

That is just your biased opinion. The fact is, despite your biased opinion, nobody can ever reduce God to something that is not all powerful (omnipotent) and not all knowing (omniscient). He is what He is... all powerful and all knowing.

16. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

The book of Matthew has several stories about the huge crowds that Jesus attracted at various times in various places. The first crowd story involves the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7).

The second crowd story takes place after John the Baptist lost his head. The site was a deserted place, on a grassy field. It was here that Jesus took the five loaves and the two fish and fed about 5,000 men, besides women and children. They had twelve baskets of left overs. (Matthew 14:13-21)

That same evening Jesus and Peter walked on water (Matthew 14:22-32).

The third crowd story is found in Matthew 15:29-39. The crowd meets on a mountain by the Sea of Galilee. This was in the middle of nowhere (described as a wilderness). This time they had seven loaves and a few little fish. They fed 4,000 men, besides women and children. They collected seven large baskets of leftovers.

Now here are the questions:
    Was the Sermon on the Mount given at one of the locations where the crowds were fed? If so, which one?

Or was the Sermon on the Mount at another site where the crowd had brought their own food, knowing that they would get hungry and want something to eat?

If the Sermon on the Mount took place at one of the two sites where Jesus fed the crowds why did the writer start the story as if it had occurred at another place? Why didn't he include the story along with the loaves and fish tales?

17. taikoo

taikoo Banned

18. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

Actually, there are stories of great floods from all over the world, in different cultures and religions. It most historians believe that the flood stories are describing the melting of the glaciers after the first ice age. This would have caused flooding in large areas, which would have been basis for such myths as Noah.

DennisTate likes this.
  19. Wingless

Wingless New Member

What's with god's screwed up sense of justice? I mean, some lifelong pedophile could see "the light" in his old age and be justified before the Christian god for arbitrary belief while some buddhist who has lived a mostly decent life will burn forever for not believing. Doesn't sound like justice to me.
    Also, why does god hold us accountable for sin if we've been rendered sinful by birth because of Adam and Eve? Why do people have to pay for their sins when they didn't choose to have a sinful nature to begin with? Wouldn't it have made more sense to let everyone have the option of eating the fruit rather than making sinfulness genetic or whatever?

20. TBryant

TBryant Well-Known Member Past Donor

OK...

Why is everything Holy dictated through ancient writings and not through common experience? I don't need or care about miracles but it would be nice to see reverence of our current reality as part of living a godly life. Why does Christianity cling so hard to things which have no meaning today?

Is questioning our world through science and philosophy EVIL?

Why do so many Christians hate others who have never done anything against them?

Why does Christ let such angry and hateful people represent him today?

If we are supposed to simply stop thinking and follow,why did God create the ability for us to think?

If the physical world is so much less important and completely separate from the spiritual one why was it created in the first place?

I could go on and on with this BS.

Stop pretending to be able to answer the "tough" questions.

21. Swensson

Swensson Devil's advocate

What is your process for deciding what you believe in and how does it apply to the Bible?

Do you have some other source for details about your belief than the Bible? I know some ideas can be based on logical arguments and what not, but details should not be.

22. taikoo

taikoo Banned

A lot of other ideas that are found in myths world wide, too. Giants and little people for example. Invincible warrior heros, demi gods who says they will come back.

I think these say more about people than they do about any reality to flood or giant.

23. taikoo

taikoo Banned

The pretense is that one can just by having the right attitude receive direct information from the Creator of the Universe and thereby know more, see
    deeper and further into physics, chemistry, geology and biology than any scientist in the world.

The psychologist and theologists and philosophers are likewise left in the dust.

Having the Gift of Infallible Readin' of the bible is a big help too.

24. Wolverine

But yet the apologetic excuses leave God as incompetent, why?

25. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

what does god have to be jealous of?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.