PC Gaming. Does anybody here play?

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Junkieturtle, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

Just a little thread about PC gaming.

I've been a PC gamer since I was three years old in 1985. My father was always interested in computers so we had some pretty early models at my house growing up. Used to play a game called Sopwith which was just a little pixel plane that you dropped pixel bombs on buildings with. Moonbug, Digdug, etc.

Anyway, my current set of games is mixed. I generally jump between:

Star Wars: The Old Republic(Just got into this after it went free-to-play)
    World of Warcraft
    Starcraft 2
    Battlefield series(2, BC2, 3)

Lately I've enjoyed:
    X-Men: Enemy Unknown
    Mechwarrior Online
    Diablo 3

Anyone else game? MMORPG?

Starcastle likes this.
  2. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

I used to play Starcraft: Brood War but some of those guys were so good at the game, I gave up.

Lately I play Team Fortress 2. An extremely fun game. I'm a good Demoman.

3. Junkieturtle

I used to play that game at LAN parties with friends. I was never very good and my will to play was always crushed by my cousins who were light years ahead of me on it.

I've never played it. I used to play the original, back when it was a quake add-on. There was a particularly fun version of it called customTF that gave you a starting chunk of money and you pieced together whatever kind of kit you wanted.

4. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Just the Solitaire that comes with XP.

HockeyDad likes this.
  5. KSigMason

KSigMason Banned at Members Request Past Donor

I play "Atlantica Online" by Nexon.

6. mutmekep

mutmekep New Member

I am devoted PC gamer since late 80's too but i do not play mmorpg , i do play several new and old titles but since you mentioned Diablo 3 have you tried Torchlight 2 ?

7. stjames1_53

stjames1_53 Banned

rpg...................Elder Scrolls series

Sallyally likes this.
  8. Junkieturtle

I've heard about it in the context that it's similar to Diablo 3(some say it's better, some say it's not). Don't know anything about it beyond that though.

9. Junkieturtle

I played Oblivion and Skyrim. Forgot to add those to the list. Love the format, but was always sad when the main missions were done. Skyrim especially was very well done, and I've been feeling the urge to play it again, maybe start a new character.

10. Turin

Turin Well-Known Member

I play all of those. :)

11. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

Microsoft FSX flight sim, I not only play I write packs for it...nothing too technical, I'm a novice at that; mainly aircraft skins. Livery schemes for various airlines.
    Designed a patch for the livery of an Ameriflight Beech 1900D as an example. An exact match of what I actually flew when I worked for them right down to the tail number.
    Trying to branch out into scenery packs and design one for Spirit Airport around where I live...houses, baseball fields...you name it. I want it as detailed as I can get it, based on an actual aerial photo-recon I did.

Uploaded to make available as free downloads for whoever uses the sim...the AVSIM community is great about that.

AVSIMS is all I play anymore....last game I played was CoD World at War for PC...which was in my estimation the best game of the series, set in WW2.

12. Junkieturtle

That's really cool. I used to play flight sims when I was younger. Microsoft Flight Simulator was always the one I wanted, but it was expensive and I never seemed to have a computer to run it. That, and it was just too technical for me as a kid. I got the desire to play it at an airshow I went to. One of the tents had a computer with a real airplane HUD complete with joystick, rudders, and other little controls.

I've been wondering how that genre has been lately. I never see any new flight sim games that aren't the world war II ones. I used to play F117 Stealth Fighter and F15 Strike Eagle III, which were both set in Iraq. Loved how you could customize your ordinance in F15, and of course I was a kid so I used the unlimited ammo cheat and would fly around Baghdad bombing stuff and shooting down Russian planes.

13. custer

custer New Member

I don't have a computer in Montana but would like to play Skyrim on the Xbox

14. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Lately I've been playing Star Trek Online.

Over the last couple of months I've played:

Far Cry 3
    Hitman Absolution
    XCOM
    Dishonoured
    Planetside 2
    World War Two Online Battleground Europe
    Skyrim
    Hearts of Iron 3
    Crusader Kings 2
    Battlefield 3

15. Stuart Wolfe

Stuart Wolfe Well-Known Member Past Donor

The only one I play atm is World of Warcraft.

I've done all the Elder Scrolls games but haven't been able to get into the last one.

Aced Diablo I and II, just couldn't get into III.

Everquest, back when it was cool.

I remember the old 2d games though. Bards Tale, Ultima, Heroes of Might and Magic. Oh, was I addicted to that one!

16. Stuart Wolfe

Stuart Wolfe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Duplicate post.

17. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would have expected you to be a World of Tanks player.

I've played WoW, WoT, Eve and Entropia Universe. My computer sucks so I don't play much... or at least I didn't until WoT...

18. Junkieturtle

Of all the games I've played, I have to say that Eve has the best concept. It's so detailed and open ended, it's unlike any other game there is. It's not just about getting the best gear to use a rinse and repeat raiding endgame, it's also about building the best empire, and picking and choosing what skills your pilot is going to train for. That game has a more grassroots organic experience in it than any other game I've ever played.

The only problem is, it can kind of feel like a job. And I mean a real job, because depending on what you're pilot does, you may actually be "working" in the game. Guarding, mining, transporting, and getting paid for it.

I also really respect how CCP(the developers) actually have an outlet for the players to talk about the game. There's a player run "Council" that meets annually with the developers and from what I've read, affect a lot of change within the game. CCP still retains final say of course, but they do try and shape the game to meet the players interests more than I've seen any other company. I also like how they don't dumb the game down like so many game makers are doing these days. World of Warcraft is practically on autopilot for you these days, they've stripped out everything that had depth and replaced it with shallow trivially-easy-to-understand systems so people don't get confused or actually have to think.

I played that game for a few months, but took a break when Hulkageddon started earlier this year. Kinda never picked it up again afterwards, but I have two toons in Hulks, one of whom(my original) is also trained for battlecruisers(I'm Gallente).

19. Panzerkampfwagen

Oh, silly me. Also World of Tanks. Haven't played in a few weeks. I'm on T8 tanks (Panther II is what I'm playing with at the moment) and it's a long slog to the next tier.

20. Panzerkampfwagen

I haven't played in a few months. I always keep my subscription active though so my character can train. That's actually quite clever of the developers too. You skill up by doing nothing but having something in the training queue. It means there's a point to remained subbed to the game even while not playing. I currently have just over 36m skill points.

I like reading about the scams. Some guy made a player ran bank and walked away with $170k worth of ISK (compared to how much a PLEX costs in ISK).

21. toddwv

Yeah, I really liked EVE. Decided to put it on hold until I get a better computer. That's been about two years...

Personally, I think it was my favorite of all the FPS.

I REALLY want to try Mechwarrior Online when I get a rig that can handle it. I have a 6 year old laptop and running everything on low sucks. I still get 30 fps but I feel like I'm getting jipped.

22. toddwv

I started about 3 months ago. I have a Tier VI heavy and could get a Tier VII easily but I'm trying to learn the game a bit more. I think I want to try a med line at VI before I spend the credits. I'm also getting ready to buy a Hummel and won't be long until I can drive a Chaffee around.

23. Paris

Paris Well-Known Member

My favorite is Dream Pinball 3D. I used to hold the highest score at the trial version. Now I'm only ranked 49th:(

24. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

Most of my game playing has been on the computer, I'd say, as I tend to be a lone gamer. My brother and I had fun playing NES and SNES games together back in the day, though the Macintosh eventually became my gaming platform of choice, especially when I got to college and discovered LAN play :D Unreal Tournament (original) was the big one back then, and there was also Starcraft. More recently, I've played through the SCII terran campaign (I have also played through the campaigns in Starcraft, in Brood War and in Warcraft III, but not its expansion, though I own it), and I've played a bit with Diablo 3, Doom 3 and numerous others. Back in the 90s, I used to play a bit of Doom, Warcraft II and Marathon, and I also edited the graphics and made maps in Marathon when I discovered how that worked, though just to fiddle around - I've never released any such content to the public.

I was hooked on World of Warcraft for quite a while as well, though in a very casual and lonely way, and always off-and-on. Now the game has changed too much for my liking, to an extent that my preferred way of playing no longer works! So, meh. I've played it more recently just for Russian language practice, and likewise with SC2 and Diablo 3, because Blizzard is actually pretty good about making different languages available for their games with just one purchase. In fact, if I play any PC game these days, I try to play it in Russian if at all possible, or else in German.

Speaking of which, Neverwinter Nights is another game I got into for a while, and I did play through most if not all of that as well - the original campaign for sure, and maybe through both of the big official expansions. Also some of Kingmaker. And yes, a lot of that in German. It's too bad that game was never released in Russian! I'd be more tempted to play it again these days if it had been.

I hate Star Wars: The Old Republic, by the way. I was quite saddened when I paid money for that game, only to discover that it plays like WoW in space. Eww. Not good for a Star Wars game, IMO. I'd much rather it handled like a proper FPS in an MMO world. Why have blasters if you don't even get to aim them yourself? Dumb. And that brings me to... Well, Halo - I've played through that campaign as well, and it's still a tough multiplayer experience to beat - and the Elder Scrolls series. Oh man! I started out with Daggerfall.. I'd play that on an old Power Mac with a freaking Pentium-equipped PC compatibility card, no less! That was a fun way to play, let me tell you. And that game is massive.. I think its game world dwarfs even those of all of the subsequent Elder Scrolls titles. Its only downsides were the bugs (like in every Elder Scrolls game) and the old pseudo 3D, blocky DOS-era graphics.

Oh, I was also a flight sim fan in the 90s, back when I had Hellcats and A-10 Attack! and A-10 Cuba! on my Mac. Did I ever have fun just derping around Germany and Cuba in a Hog! My only regret with those games is that I've never had the opportunity to play them multiplayer. A-10 Cuba! is capable, but other players were hard to come by even when it was a fairly new title.

25. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

EVE is a neat looking game, but I for one am not prepared to pay a subscription to play it. I'm fed up with subscription model MMOs in general, in fact. Not that I've gotten more into the freebies, but then they tend to be lower quality than the paid games.

Now, if The Elder Scrolls Online is released without a subscription required... You can likely count me in. I'd put down money once to buy the game and be able to play it indefinitely without paying more. I don't care if they want to sell perks to try and make a profit from players, because I can easily choose not to buy such things. Of course, if the game ends up being too crippled without buying junk, that'll likely drive me away too..