White House ‘Weighing Broad Gun Control’

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

White House ‘Weighing Broad Gun Control’

By Philip Rucker |The Washington Post | Jan 05, 2013 09:57 PM EST
    Excerpts:

“The White House is weighing a far broader and more comprehensive approach to curbing the nation’s gun violence than simply reinstating an expired ban on assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition, according to multiple people involved in the administration’s discussions.

A working group led by Vice President Biden is seriously considering measures backed by key law enforcement leaders that would require universal background checks for firearm buyers, track the movement and sale of weapons through a national database, strengthen mental health checks, and stiffen penalties for carrying guns near schools or giving them to minors, the sources said.

To sell such changes, the White House is developing strategies to work around the National Rifle Association that one source said could include rallying support from Wal-Mart and other gun retailers for measures that would benefit their businesses. White House aides have also been in regular contact with advisers to New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), an outspoken gun-control advocate who could emerge as a powerful surrogate for the Obama administration’s agenda.

The Biden group, formed last month after the massacre at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school that killed 20 children and six adults, plans to submit a package of recommendations to President Obama this month. Once Obama’s proposals are set, he plans to lead a public-relations offensive to generate popular support.

In addition to potential legislative proposals, Biden’s group has expanded its focus to include measures that would not need congressional approval and could be quickly implemented by executive action, according to interest-group leaders who have discussed options with Biden and key Cabinet secretaries.

Possibilities include changes to federal mental-health programs and modernization of gun-tracking efforts by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

“Simply coming up with one or two aspects of it really falls short of the magnitude of the gun issue in the country,” said Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum.

The vice president said the White House group would consider a variety of proposals - from requiring background checks for all gun buyers to creating a new database that would allow the ATF to track all gun sales, according to participants.

Stanek said the meeting also included significant discussion of mental-health issues, violence in video games and movies, and the poor quality of information contained in databases used to conduct criminal background checks before issuing gun permits.

The president is expected to face fierce opposition from the NRA and its allies in Congress, including most Republicans and some Democrats.

But Biden signaled to those involved in the policy discussions that the White House is not afraid of taking on the NRA, the nation’s largest gun rights group. At the Dec. 20 meeting, according to Stanek, when one law enforcement leader suggested focusing on only the most popular proposals, Biden responded:

“Look, what I’m asking you for is your candid opinion and ideas about extreme gun violence. Leave the politics to the president. That’s our job with Congress.”

At the White House meeting, Stanek said, “the vice president indicated that there was a very short timeline for him to get back to the president with his recommendations...”

Already, three weeks after the Newtown shooting, gun-control advocates are growing impatient with a legislative process that is just beginning.

“As we get involved in these ad nauseam debates over the Second Amendment, our children are still at risk,” said Jon Adler, national president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association. “Debating is not the action verb we need to protect our children.”

With the start of the 113th Congress last week, several lawmakers filed bills to address gun violence. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), who co-wrote a 1994 assault-weapons ban that expired in 2004, plans to introduce legislation this month that would ban the sale or manufacture of about 120 firearms, including semiautomatic rifles and military-style handguns, as well as ammunition magazines that can hold more than 10 rounds.

The expired federal assault-weapons ban prohibited the manufacturing of 19 models of semiautomatic guns classified as assault weapons, including certain rifles and shot guns. The law also banned ammunition magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds. But it did not ban the sale of previously manufactured assault weapons or high-capacity magazines.

Since the law’s sunset, efforts in Congress over the past decade to reinstate the ban have faced stiff opposition from the NRA and the firearms industry and have never passed.

Adler, who has submitted recommendations to Biden’s group, said he has told administration officials that they need to pursue multiple measures to increase their chances of success.

“We can’t put all our protection-effort eggs in one basket with one piece of legislation,” he said. “We’ve got to do more than that.”

read more:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...81efe0-5682-11e2-bf3e-76c0a789346f_story.html

To have Congress have to fight the NRA in order to get laws passed to protect our innocent children, college students, and people sitting on their fron porches from being murdered, is nauseating at best.

The fact that many in Congress have already been paid off is gut wrenching, and it is my belief that it will take the American public, who are tired of all the needless bloodshed in this Wild Wild West society we call America, to finally put an end to the senseless murder rampages which are now commonplace activity due to the easy access of death-dealing weaponry.

America needs to stand up for the rights of the majority, not some (*)(*)(*)(*)-ant 2nd Amendment weirdos who scream that their rights are being violated while 1st graders are being gunned down by crazies with assault weapons that are easily available on the gun market, but never should have been allowed to private citizens.

2. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

The less broads with guns the better...

3. Ctrl

Ctrl Well-Known Member Past Donor

None of that would have made a single bit of difference at Sandy Hook. The circumstance would be exactly the same.

4. Zxereus

Zxereus Well-Known Member Past Donor

First of all, I wish you would use the quote feature when you post articles, so we can clearly see where the article ends, and your personal comments begin.

Anyway, I don't doubt there will be legislation coming that will have some effects on gun ownership in this country.
    However, you personally want guns banned as you have stated in other threads, and that is not going to happen.
    I'm happy to see that you are at least beginning to realize that is the case.

5. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Majority? Here's the majority......

That's a small minority. But I hope the Democrats DO push for stricter gun laws. Going against the majority on Obama Care resulted in a loss of 63 seats in the House and 6 in the Senate in 2010. If the Democrats push the gun control issue to satisfy 27% or the population, they'll lose as big in 2014 as they did in 2010. Please carry on and thanks for the help.

6. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

7. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Well, you could always ban bullets, but let us keep our guns.

8. coolguybrad

coolguybrad New Member

They don't get it do they?

9. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

They won't get it until they ban "assault weapons" and then another mass shooting with an "assault weapon" occurs. You'll see these guys all scratching their heads wondering where they hell that assault rifle came from. It didn't just magically vanish into thin air like the rest of the assault weapons were supposed to do?

10. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

1) People of all parties will push their legislators for more stringent gun controls and it will be a fight to the finish of NRA which has succeeded in making America an armed fortress with murders every 4 seconds. Sheer 'right to life' forces rational people to seek some recourse to their rights to live in America without fear of being murdered thru lax gun laws.

2) The crazyazz white supremacist gun worshippers do not constitute a majority, and once Obama gets the data on who owns guns in America, there will alot of sniffing around to see why you actually need to own a gun.

3) By 2014, republicans will not even be in the picture the way they are behaving, and the Dems will make sure to vote in the midterms because they want to add to their 2012 numbers of Dem additions to both the House and the Senate. Face it, pp, you belong to a dinosaur political party.

11. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

You done stole my thunder. :mrgreen:

12. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

They get it. That's what makes it all the more egregious.

13. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Gun laws don't work. The third world crap hole that Obama crawled out of and the gun-free zone mass shootings have made that crystal clear.

_

14. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

1) If you cannot understand "quotation marks" when you see them, then I cannot help you. Possibly a refresher English course would help you. Also a helpful hint is to remember anything BEFORE the link are quotations of the author of the article. Everything AFTER the link are my own thoughts and beliefs per rules of this forum.

Also, I hope you are considering a change in avatar, as the one you are using is too aggressive, and is unappealing to say the least. It reminds me of Sarah Palin's ad where the freak looks down the sights of a gun.

2) Yes it is finally coming and the NRA is on its way out. I hope Congress will put some new laws and penalties on accepting payoffs in return for lax gun regulations.

3) There are many Americans that want full ban of guns until America can arrive at some semblance of sanity and respect for law and order plus a renewed 'respect for life' of people that are in jeopardy every day of their lives in a violent America. I don't want to own a gun, and I don't want to get caught in any crossfire... intended or unintended.

I feel that all guns are destructive to the well being of all Americans; that the need of a crutch that some people exhibit in the purchase of multiple guns indicates a latent fear of loss of control. But the gun always signifies a sad ending in any confrontation whether it be vocal or physical.

15. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

Well , our constitution and Supreme Court disagrees with you . Cool opinion though .

16. Nightmare515

I have a multitude of guns, and loss of control isn't on my mind.

Guns always signify a sad ending huh? So when that woman shot that guy who chased her family through the house that was a sad ending? I guess she should have just threw her hands up and subjected herself and her children to whatever this guy was going to do to them. That way it wouldn't have been so "sad".

17. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Thank you....you have just made a fantastic case for the banning of all guns in America.

We can never allow mass shootings to rule the way we will legislate in the future. When the average Americans rights collide so severely with the purported 2nd Amendment rights of others, the average American's rights take precedence.

Just think, the 'crap hole' that many Americans crawl out of and still become president of the United States shows beyond doubt that if you have the brains, you too can crawl out of your 'crap hole' and become anything you want.

18. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

They still won't get it. Columbine happened 5 years after Clinton passed Feinstein's 1994 AWB.

19. Nightmare515

They'll just fabricate it and make it seem like they did something positive. If they ban assault weapons and assault weapon incident doesn't happen for awhile they'll say "Well yes this happened and it's unfortunate but due to our AWB we prevented it from happening sooner"

Even though that statement cannot be proven or disproven whatsoever. That will be their reasoning.

20. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

They are indeed good at that. "We created or saved 4 million jobs.....barf"

21. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

1) Yes, because you know you are in control with a multitude of guns. That you can always use your guns if conditions deteriorate. Say what you really mean...that multiple gun ownership gives you control of any situation by blowing away any object that frightens you. Go deeper into what prompts you to own multiple weapons of destruction.

2) OMG: I thought guns were used for hunting and sport, and for 2nd Amendment rights...but thankx for giving us the picture of the woman that shot the guy who would have hurt them, so what your are REALLY saying is that guns are purchased for self protection!! I rest my case.

22. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

There it is again!

Why do you keep trying to associate guns with racist?

23. Nightmare515

Um...I am in control of a particular situation if I have a gun, such as if someone breaks into my house. I don't walk around and start things with people just because I know I have a gun...

As discussing in another thread I have a semi auto .50cal rifle that can shoot through pretty much anything. It serves me no real purpose but I just like to have it. I'm not going to use it to start blowing away cars driving down the road..

In many cases guns are purchased for pure self protection. Others, like me, have guns for a multitude of reasons. I also have one for personal protection.

Whats the problem here?

24. Nightmare515

*Looks around at my arms, hands, face, legs...*

****....and all this time I always thought I was black lol...

25. Texsdrifter

Texsdrifter Well-Known Member

Actually people like you and those making a attempt at passing laws that have no chance of success
    that deserves thanks, not from me but from the NRA and Republicans. The NRA had become a a organization that was a victim of it's own success many including myself had begun to grow tired of the Obama and others were going to take our guns. The republican party was in serious decline at the national level. They will gain support due to the current events that will last for far longer than the emotional response by so many.

I actually agree Obama's rise to power is a statement on what one can become with hard work and determination. He can not run again however, and his actions of late will make 2014 and 2016 far more difficult than 2012 for the democrats.