Sheriff says he won't enforce Obama's new gun restrictions

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BroncoBilly, Jan 18, 2013.

1. BroncoBilly

BroncoBilly Well-Known Member Past Donor

Idaho is a non-liberal sanctuary. This sheriff said it best, "Sandy Hook massacre should not be political posturing by Obama, it should be treated as a tragedy" Enforce the laws already on the books Obama, show some leadership balls, instead of throwing your political bull(*)(*)(*)(*) at the wall to see if any of it will stick.

Caldwell, ID – In response to media requests he received yesterday and today regarding the 23 point gun violence reduction plan announced by the White House, Canyon County Sheriff Kieran Donahue issued the following statement:

First of all, and let me be as plain-spoken as possible as to two issues: First, gun ownership is not a political issue; it is a constitutional right. Second, what happened in Newtown isn’t a political issue, it’s a tragedy. People who confuse these principles have no business telling me how to do my job. I swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, enforce the law, and protect my community, and that’s what I’ll do. Law abiding citizens have every right to own legal firearms, and I am confident that our Congress would not be so foolish as to let anyone strip us of our Second Amendment rights.

I’ve looked at the 23 Executive Actions signed by the President today, and I don’t see that they accomplish anything. It’s just political posturing, and I’m not going to fight hysteria with hysteria. I’ve worked for years with dedicated ATF agents, and other local law enforcement officers, to keep illegal guns – like sawed off shotguns – off our streets and enforce laws prohibiting felons from owning or possessing firearms.

The President says he wants to provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. Let’s do it. I’ll be first in line, and stand ready to devote as many officers as I can to schools just as soon as he provides that funding. I am a strong advocate of having certified police officers serve as SRO’s in our schools. He wants to require law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. We already do. He wants to maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. Each and every day, law enforcement officers in our communities put their lives on the line to prevent gun violence and uphold the constitution. Those men and women don’t have time for hollow political posturing. When the White House is ready for meaningful dialogue, perhaps we can then talk about the real issues: for example, a culture of violence and disrespect of law enforcement, mental health issues, and the flow of illegal drugs into our Country.

God bless the United States of America.

Kieran Donahue Canyon County Sheriff

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2013/01/17/2416281/canyon-county-sheriff-says-he.html#storylink=cpy

2. Leffe

Leffe New Member

it should be treated as a tragedy"......... and ignored.

3. BroncoBilly

BroncoBilly Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why would you want to ignore it?

4. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

don't think it will matter much, too many Democratic politicians from rural areas know that supporting any gun legislation will cost them their re election. Even the Congressional comedian Al Franken did some quick backpedaling on his anti gun positions after initially shooting off his mouth , pun intended

5. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

....versus "never let a crisis go to waste.....oodles of political capital is mixed in with that blood"