Quit worrying about the rich and worry about yourself

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Marine1, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I posted this on another thread, but it is so important from what I keep hearing from Liberals, I think it needs a thread of it's own. You people need to wake up and quit worrying about what others have.

" That's what I hear from so many Liberals. Always talking about the rich. Many people are poor by choice. Because they didn't do what they need to do to be well off or rich. Did they finish school? Did they rush to get married and picked the wrong mate? Did they have kids out of wedlock and the father won't support the child? Did they buy everything they want instead of what they need? Did they save and invest? Did they sacrifice? How many didn't use their head and got a police record? How many have tried to make their life better by going to a trade school or jr. college? The government provides the Jobs Corps for kids that dropped out of school. Teaches them a trade for half a day and the second half will teach them to get a GED or high school diploma. They will feed them, provide work cloths, transportation money, give them spending money, provide them tools and help them get a job afterwards, along with over a thousand dollars to get them started. How many have taken advantage of it?

I am so tired of listening to the Liberals talk about the rich and poor. All I have is a GED education. I got married a year after getting out of the Marines and had kids within 10 months of that. From the day I retired, I never made over $15.90 an hour. I started that job making $4.85 an hour. My wife was making $500.00 a month. But when I retired, our home was paid off, and so was all of our bills. My in-laws taught us that to think of our self as a bill, like all the other bills we have and pay our self something each week. If we couldn't pay our self something, we can't afford to go out. We scrimped, saved and invested and though far from rich, we aren't hurting and have given our three children thousands of dollars in help. Well over $60,000.00 worth of help. We both carried our lunch every day instead of spending 5-10 dollars on lunch. In 26 years of working I only missed three days. We only bought what we needed and not all the stuff we wanted. Outside of our home and cars, we paid cash for what we bought. We used our credit card to rack up points, but always made sure we paid it off at the end of the month. I kept two of my cars for 11 and 12 years. My mini van now is 8 years old and my wife's car is 9 years old. Because I kept good credit, I got my mini van on a 5 year loan, interest free.

My wife and I never made big money and I would be willing to bet many that complain about being poor made much more than we did. It's not about what you make, but what you do with what you have. How you conduct your life. What your willing to do to make your life better. I made some big mistakes in my life, especially when I was younger. But I learned from my in-laws. We did a lot of sacrificing for years. But we can do much of what we want to now. Most of you can too. It just means changing your ways. Quit worrying about what others have and work on making your life better."

2. Taxcutter

Taxcutter New Member

Envy is worse than greed.

Greed is wanting to keep money you have earned.
    Envy is wanting to steal money someone else has earned.

3. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

So tell us why you thing you should pay a higher rate of tax than a guy like Mitt Romney?

4. Iriemon

Greed is worse than envy.

Greed is the selfish and excessive desire to have ever more money you don't need, and to make the less fortunate shoulder a higher proportion of the burden of financing the Govt to the detriment of the country so you can have more and more, because more is never enough.

Envy is thinking that billionaires, trust fund babies and hedge fund managers should not pay lower rates of taxes than average working families.

There are a lot of greedy folks here.

5. Marine1

Don't like the tax laws, change them. Liberals controlled both the House and Senate along with the presidency for a couple of years and did nothing to change it.

I am so sick of listening to the Left talk about the rich. That's all they do. What can I take from them and get for me. You can make it if your willing to try. You may never be rich, but you can have a decent life if your only willing to change your ways and your views. But most don't want to. They want it given to them. Well no one ever gave me a dime. I never collected welfare or food stamps and worked almost ever day of my life.

6. Bondo

Bondo Well-Known Member

Ayuh,.... As if they're gonna shoot Themselves in the pocketbook.... :roll:

Besides,... They were too busy, doin' their Insider Tradin'....

7. Iriemon

Exactly my point.

Funny, it is the conservatives who have been demanding tax cuts for them and higher taxes on the poorer. But you don't get sick of that, right?

We can have fair taxes if you give it a try.

8. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

"You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Greed and Envy = democrats

Leftys lust after the possessions of others...

tsk tsk tsk

9. Craftsman

Craftsman Banned

So what?
    This is completely irrelevant to any issue.
    Who cares what you did or how you lived your life or how much money you made?
    You are living off the Govt. so you are one of the 'takers' you whine about.

10. Marine1

Have you ever heard me say I want the poor to pay more, or that I am unjustly taxed? I'm willing to pay my fair share. I just don't believe in more and more government handouts when we can't pay for what we have. I don't want to live like they do in Europe where they pay in almost half their income in taxes to have the government take care of them. I worked hard for my money and I should be able to determine how I want to spend most of it. I don't know why that is so wrong. I'm not asking my government to pay for my education, or cut my house payments. I'm willing to help those that can't help themselves. But I'll be (*)(*)(*)(*)ed if I want to pay out to those that don't want to work. My father raised 6 of us kids while mom stayed home and we had it ruff. We were dirt poor. But we all got by and there was no welfare or food stamps. We didn't hear dad crying about what the rich made or how the government should help us. This society has changed so much it's unbelievable.

nimdabew and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Iriemon

You start a thread saying don't worry about the rich.

If you are happy paying a higher rate of tax so that guys like Mitt Romney pay a lower rate than the average working family, good for you. But when a family struggling to get by on $50k has to pay a higher percentage of their income than Mitt Romney does, it affects their ability to save and improve their own lot.

Apparently you're fine with that. Good for you. I'm not.

Why are you so obsessed with the Govt spending to help the poorest improve their lot, but you're just fine with billionaires paying lower taxes than the average working family?

Doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you should stop worrying about the Govt spending money and start focusing on the 1% paying a fair share.

12. Marine1

I'm not living off the government. I collect Social Security that I and my employer paid into. The government didn't. They took from it and put it in a low paying money market fund. I also get a pension that I also paid into along with my employer. I never collected a dime in welfare or food stamps. I have some moderate investments that I also did myself.

Why should we care because you are poor, crying about wanting to take money from people who earned it to give to those who didn't? You think that is right? I sure don't. We as a society have an obligation to help those who can't help themselves. We have no obligation to help those who refuse to help themselves to make their life easier.

13. Craftsman

Craftsman Banned

They just did and you cons are still whining about it.
    They didn't have 'control' of both house's, stop with the party lies.

So much so you had to start a thread whining about it?

OK, you are just sick of the right wing party line BS, that puts you in with the vast majority of the nation.
    You see the only ones saying anything like that is your party and controlling media.
    Again I have to ask, 'why do you continue to support them'?

You get your Govt. pension check this month?
    All anyone wants is the same thing you want, the chance to earn a descent living, own a home, raise a family and put some cash away for retirement or a little summer vacation with the kids.
    Problem is, the GOP has systematically eliminated nearly any possibility anyone can do that. The have lowered the average income, stolen the value of our homes, robbed and eliminated company pensions, stolen the 401Ks and taken away the rights to collectively bargain.
    It's not the evil liberals that have screwed the working man, it's you party, the right, the republicans, the conservatives.
    Open your eyes.

14. Craftsman

Craftsman Banned

It's their media controllers, they can only think and repeat what they hear 24/7 on the propaganda channel.

15. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

That's what capitalists do, kid. Don't waste time on envy - jail the scumbags and give the money back to those who do the work!

16. Craftsman

Craftsman Banned

Again, so what?
    Do you not know how much your own party hates that you earned a living and have a pension?

I'm not poor, but there is a growing number in this country that are, all due to the conservatives.
    You will get a lot further with this if you stop parroting the party lies.
    No one is saying anything like that except your party and their propaganda.
    I know you are smart enough to see that.

Get off the propaganda teat.

17. Marine1

Why didn't the Democrats change it when they controlled all of government? What better chance? But they didn't did they? That's because most of them are rich too. I think their taxes are high enough. But they have sooooo many loop holes that by the time they're finished using them, they pay half of what we do. Didn't Romney say he would close many of those loop holes? Have you guys put pressure on your elected officials to do it? Or do you save all your complaining for these boards instead of telling them?

18. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

Maybe they should block off a town and stuff em all in the town until a final solution can be found...

19. Marine1

Get off of trying to put all the blame on Republicans. The Democrats are just as much to blame for this economy as the Republicans are, if not more. Your ignorant of history if you don't know that. There is no innocent parties in this.

And I told you how I did it and how much I made. Most of you make more than I ever did. What did you do with your money? Did you make a habit to save a little each payday or did you go out to eat, go bowling, or spend it some other way? Do you buy your lunch instead of taking it with you? How many cars have you bought in the last 10 years? Have you one credit card and pay it off every month so you won't pay a third to half in interest? Do you know how much money you can save by just having good credit? Does your bills aways come first? I'll bet if you set down and figure out where your money is going and change your way of doing things, you can have most of the things you want in life. My Father never taught me, he was lucky to keep a roof over our head and food on the table. But when I married my second wife, my in-laws taught me what I needed to do and I listened to them. I'm now trying to teach you to have a better life and you can if you change the way you do things instead of wanting to take from others what you didn't earn.

20. Iron River

Iron River Well-Known Member

So the rich pay 90% of the burden but that is too little? Half of the people pay none of the burden but that is too much?

Stupidity is thinking that trust funds' earnings should be taxed at a higher rate than people who have nothing invested in the growth of the economy. Thinking that a billionaire's money is in the basement as a pile of gold rather than invested in the second mortgage on your house, the new engine that you had to put in your ten year old car, etc. is stupidity.

Get a clue.. Every dime that the rich have is being invested to create more national wealth, lost to bad green investments, being spent on high quality products produced by craftsmen and artists, or backing banks and other financial institutions that the poor barrow money from. Take that money out of the economy and give it to government regulators and we all suffer...

21. Naruto

Naruto Well-Known Member

Tax rate is lower due to monies generated from a investment. Investment income and labor income are not the same, one took a risk while another is based off of labor. If the risk did not payoff, then there would be no rewards so your premise is faulty because both incomes share no equivalency. Plus alot of times, the investment income was already taxed at some point before it was invested so are you OK with double taxation? Ever hear of the capitalist term, let your money work for you?

22. Marine1

This is where many people's money goes. When you carry debt, one third to half of your monthly payment can go on just interest. That's a lot of money to throw away.

In 2009 the average American owed $8,400 in credit card debt. Up to 40 percent of American households spend more money annually than they make. In fact close to 80 percent of Americans have one or more credit cards. The U.S. Census Bureau reported that credit card debt is growing and predicted that about 181 million Americans would owe credit card debt by 2010. That figure is up from 163 million Americans in 2008.

Read more: How Much Does the Average American Owe in Credit Card Debt? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5278109_much-owe-credit-card-debt.html#ixzz2IjBVEOYm

23. Marine1

Do you realize how important good credit is and how it can save you thousands? Auto insurance companies will charge you more if you have bad credit. Credit card companies charge you a higher rate. Banks will charge you higher interest on loans. I got a five year loan from Chrysler interest free, when I bought my mini van. I saved thousands in interest on that alone. My house payment was also lower. My Son and his wife learned that way to late.

24. Marine1

Did you know if you just put fifty dollars a month more on your home loan you can pay it off years earlier and cut thousands off a 30 year loan? Same with a credit card. Just put five or ten dollars more on the credit card over them minimum, will cut hundreds of the amount you'd have to pay.

Did you know if you have a lot of medical bills, most will take what you can pay them and it frees up more money to pay off other bills? If you pay off the little ones first, it gives you more money to pay off the next smallest one. Then you keep going up to the next smallest one. Get rid of all those small bills and you have more money for the big ones, or to buy what you need, or put some away for a rainy day.

25. Naruto

Naruto Well-Known Member

Labor (wage) income is for suckers, making money from investment (capital gains) is the way to go if you want to be rich. The poor will stay poor because they suck with money and waste it since many don't even earn it themselves but is freely given to them by the government. Ever notice why section 8 or public housing looks like (*)(*)(*)(*), it because the poor don't have the feeling of ownership for their homes since they didn't have to actually work for it to earn it.