No Room For Traitors: Brexit please!

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by janpor, Jan 23, 2013.

1. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

"Europe isn't the sum of national interests but a community with a common fate in difficult times." - Mr. Westerwelle

"If Britain wants to leave Europe we will roll out the red carpet for you." - Mr. Fabius

(The tongue-in-cheek remark echoed Cameron himself, who once used the same words to invite rich Frenchmen alienated by high taxes to move to Britain.)

[​IMG]

2. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

He's a dick. Note the timing. The timing is political. He wants to keep the Eurosceptics in the Tory Party under control until after the next election so that the Tories have a better chance of getting back in office (not that I think they will). He will turn turtle if they get back into office and break his word, he'll find some justification for it. Unfortunately for the dumbarse this is going to have immediate economic shock effects. Businesses hate uncertainty, how can they plan for the next several years when they won't know the structure of the British economy.

Cameron has screwed up royally, he's useless.

3. Vlad Ivx

Vlad Ivx Active Member Past Donor

4. Leffe

Leffe New Member

I cannot disagree with much of what he said in his speach... And we don't care what the small country of Belgium thinks... It just don't hold enough political sway in Europe. The big boys are France, Germany, The UK - simples. We've aready got Merckle on side.

5. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Leffe, sorry but that is utterly absurd, and nothing more than a sign that you don't know anything about intra-European politics...

The very point is that we are a community -- there are no "big boys".

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!

That is the entire point! But it isn't a surprise a Briton doesn't get it. At all!

I could make an actual post, and point out, in a rational way, why your post doesn't make any sense. But... I had to work from 6h to 14h and I'm really lazy 'cuz I got only four hours of sleep...

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Why Britain wants to leave the EU...
    :confusion:
    Why Britain Is Edging Toward ‘Brexit’
    JUNE 7, 2016 - It may now be time to seriously consider what would happen if Britain left the European Union.
    See also:

Don't sit on the sidelines over EU, PM urges
    7 June 2016 - David Cameron has urged voters not to "sit on the sidelines" and to back his call for a vote to stay in the EU. The PM claimed "complete untruths" were coming from the Leave side and said he was "not at all" worried about losing the 23 June referendum.

7. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Recent poll numbers seem to suggest the tide is swinging against the Brexit. Smart in the short-term; a disaster in the long term. Won't be too long until London has fallen.

8. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

Of course anyone that wants Britain to remain within the EU can be considered a traitor to Britain. A 1000 years of history would be lost if we vote to remain with the EU project. A vote to remain would lead to the continued loss of our sovereignty, no Border controls of our own Nation. Governed in the whole by unelected EU council members, EU laws overriding UK laws.

We have no power within the EU to say who comes to our Country & takes the jobs of the poor working class & youth of Britain.

I've met a few pro-EU people & generally they are driven by marxist culturalism that wants to destroy what they assume Britain is, mostly they imagine Britain from the 1950s are are foolish in the extream & are just falling for the pro-multi-National corporational view of mass immigration, low-paid workers that the EU promote. The real bakers of the pro-EU are the bankers, owners of large corporations & the liberal elite that can live in areas away from the "unsavoury" working class. Just look at the likes of Benedict Cumberbatch, when will he every live on an estate overrun by asylum seekers? NEVER, but he wants the rest of us to live within a society from which he can afford to live apart.

I despise the liberal, guardian reading white middles class that hate their own culture.

9. Baff

Baff Well-Known Member

If the Brexit vote is lost, I will consider that it has.

I feel shame to be an EU member. It does not sit well with me.

[MENTION=22332]Leffe[/MENTION].
    It's who we are mate. We are not joiners and when we do join, we won't join the little league.
    We will never get it. It's not what we want. That's not to say we don't want you to get it if that's what you want.
    Or that if you need help with it, that we aren't here. We like you. We are here.

But that EU stuff, it will all end in tears. Stand well clear of those people. When they go to Strasbourg, vote for them not to come back.

10. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I am a white progressive but I agree with most of your post. It would be a massive failure for the UK as a nation-state to allow itself to be further lured into Germany's web.

11. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

Elephant in the room - the only reason they don't want us to leave is because we give them far more money than our politicians admit, much of it disguised as 'overseas aid/development'. Cameron is seen by all of them as a deluded figure of fun. As I posted recently in another thread - it we don't get out now we'll be finished. How we could change this country out of all recognition if we didn't need to pay £350m a week to this useless army of pen-pushers. Just think - no more austerity and an NHS fit for purpose again like it used to be.

12. diamond lil

diamond lil Well-Known Member

I'd like to see your sources for that, cerberus.

13. cerberus

Well I don't have any evidence per se; after all, misappropriation of public funds is hardly something any government would make known to its taxpayers, but with so many £squillions swilling around Whitehall, how easy it would be to make a few of them 'disappear', and who could possible know other than a few who are in the loop ? But think 'Lies, damn lies, and statistics.' Do you believe everything government tells you?

14. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

deckel wrote: Won't be too long until London has fallen.

Yea, we used to sing dat song...

... London britches fallin' down, my fair lady...

... when we was kids...

... it was always one o' Uncle Ferd's favorites.
    :wink:

15. diamond lil

So in other words, it's just so much hot air.

16. cerberus

Yes, if you say so! :roll:

17. cerberus

I expected to be picked up on my comment about our '£350m a week' subs to the EU, but I'll be happy to justify it if anyone wants me to.

18. diamond lil

Yes, please- if you'll show the sources to back up your claims.

19. cerberus

Well as there's no way I can find out the figures from the Treasury, nor of verifying them even if I could, all I have is my gut feeling, and that is a suspicion of the methods of the obligation set against the payment, then the abatements, and eventually the 'bottom line' weekly amount due. I mean they couldn't possibly make it all more abstruse even if they'd tried harder, and that's 'suspicious' in itself? So if you insist on 'sources' which I'm unable to draw upon (unless you can suggest a way?) then you obviously won't be receptive to my explanation, so there's no point in promulgating it.

20. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Uncle Ferd like to get in on dat...
    :wink:
    Kissing chain across Europe to show unity with the UK
    Sun, 19 Jun 2016 - People have taken part in a kissing chain across Europe.
    See also:

EU Countries Warn Britain on 'Brexit': You'll Pay if You Leave Us
    JUNE 19, 2016 — The rest of the European Union nations are looking at the possibility of a British departure from the bloc with disbelief, trepidation and anguish. But they are also preparing to retaliate.

21. JoakimFlorence

JoakimFlorence Banned

The British have never really been part of the Continent—geographically or culturally. The rest of the continent was within the sphere of German or French culture, but Britain stood on her own legs.

22. diamond lil

I would if you had done, but this is coming from nowhere. You need to show the EU rules that would allow it.

This is too important a decision that will affect all our lives to be left to just a gut feeling that is based on thin air.

23. cerberus

With respect DL, the EU can make up the rules as it goes along, and as if that isn't undemocratic enough, it's done behind closed doors. For example, much is being made about Turkey 'not being able to join for 10 years' (or 30 years, so Cameron keeps saying), but if Turkey suddenly discontinued the refugee/migrant arrangement, then at the behest of the EU Commissioners/Presidents (whatever they're called these day - 'dictators' wouldn't be too strong a word) can and certainly will fast-track Turkey to accession, and if we'd already voted to Remain there would be nothing we could do about it - unless Cameron used his veto, and what would be the chances of that?

24. diamond lil

That is nonsense.

Gove’s assumptions about the prospects for further enlargement, and especially Turkey’s prospects for joining the EU in the foreseeable future, reflect a fundamental lack of understanding of the current state of the EU enlargement process and the dynamics underpinning it. They also fail comprehensively to appreciate what little progress Turkey and the EU have made in negotiating the former’s accession.

Negotiations on Turkey’s accession opened more than ten years ago, in 2005. That was when talks began on the various conditions Turkey needed to meet to become a member. These feature in 35 so-called chapters, covering areas such as free movement, environment and competition policy and justice.

Of these 35 chapters, negotiations have been opened on just 15, and only one has been closed – in June 2006. At this rate, it will be several decades before Turkey completes its accession negotiations.

That's not an opinion piece. It's laying out the bare facts

http://qpol.qub.ac.uk/turkey-long-way-joining-eu/

25. cerberus

After that needlessly contentious drivel I now withdraw my compliment of 'With respect' at the beginning of my previous post. I want nothing more to do with you.