Part 3 of Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Mitt Ryan, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitt Ryan

Mitt Ryan Well-Known Member

Part 3 a continuation of Post your tough questions pertaining to God/Jesus/Holy Bible and I will do my best to clarify and make sense of it to those who are unaware...I still have questions unanswered in Part 1 & 2, the moderators locked up Part 1 & 2 due to having over 700 posts.

I don't want my intentions to come across as converting you or whatever lol... but rather clear up things etc... so ask away.

2. Mitt Ryan

Quote Posted by OLD PROFESSOR:

So, God, the all knowing, knew no more than those to whom he revealed himself. Interesting.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would make you spew out such a false statement? It has to be another one of those misconceptions that atheists are very famous for...lol

Instead of referring to people who don't believe in God as atheists maybe we believers should just start referring to you all as miscons...lol

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

On what day of Creation, according to Genesis, did God make the Sun?

4. WanRen

WanRen New Member Past Donor

In the Old Testament the plural "we and us" is frequently use in fact in Genesis 1 God use the word "us" often the question is why us? And later Jesus would also say many time "my Father" "Holy Spirit".
    26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

The Pharisees insist there is only One God which is true and that is also what Catholics accept but what they failed to understand is that God is 3 in 1 and only God can be that because He is the Almighty, after painstaking research analysing all the words and imply statements, "I and the Father are One", in John 1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God", all pointed towards to the Trinity.

Without accepting the existance of the Trinity will be in total contradiction to what is writen in the Bible on those imply statements "us".

5. GraspingforPeace

GraspingforPeace Well-Known Member

Not if Yahweh was a member of a league of Gods which is what the Canaanites believed in. Notice throughout the Old Testament that Yahweh never says that there is only one god. In fact, the first commandment the Israelites receive is to not have any God before him. Why would he not just say "I am the only God"? Also notice how Yahweh is also referred to as "El" throughout the Tanakh? Guess who was the chief God of the Canaanites? El.

6. Mitt Ryan

Quote Posted by The Wyrd of Gawd:

Some people think that God has wings. If man was made in his image where are our wings?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another miscon false statement. Man being made in the image of God does not mean we look like Him, rather it means we are comprised of spirit like Him and so when we die our physical bodies die but our spirit (soul) remain alive.

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth." This means God has no body, because a spirit is, by nature, an incorporeal being. As Jesus tells us elsewhere, "a spirit has not flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39).

7. Mitt Ryan

Let me explain as thoroughly and detailed as I can be to show that the Sun was created on day 1 and not on day 4as many believe it to be because of what else?...misinterpretations, misconceptions.

In Gen 1:1 it says, "In the begning God created the heavens and the earth" So what does the heavens consist of?...The heavens consists of stars, galaxies, etc. Actually, the Hebrew phrase translated "heavens and earth" refer to the entire created universe.

In Gen. 1:2 It goes on to say, "And the earth was formless and void, and darkeness was over the surface of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters."

Why was the earth dark? Genesis one does not say, but other accounts of creation in the Bible do say. In the book of Job, God Himself tells us the answer when He asked Job, "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?...When I made a cloud its garment, And thick darkness its swaddling band" Job 38:4-9.

So, we know that when God created the earth it was dark because it was covered with thick clouds. This fact will be important to understand the next few verses.

In Gen. 1:3 God said, "Let there be light, and there was light." Where is the light? It's on the surface of the earth for the first time. Where does the light come from. The text does not say directly, but it gives a lot of clues. Did God create the light? No! If God had created the light, the text would have said so, like it does in the rest of Genesis one. It says that God "let it be." Let's read the rest of the first day to get the clues.

"And God saw that the light was good; and God separated the light from the darkness. And God called the light day, and the darkness He called night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day" Gen 1:4-5.

The text says that there was day and night on the earth on the first day. This tells us that the light that was shining on the earth was directional...from one source. So let's put it all together. God created the earth with a thick layer of clouds around it that caused it to be dark. When God said "Let there be light" it is most logical to conclude that God removed at least some of those thick clouds so that light would fall on the surface of the earth. Where did the light come from? The Sun shining on a rotating earth. You might protest, "But the text never said God created the Sun." It actually does. As stated previously, the Hebrew term "the heavens and the earth" in Gen. 1:1 refers to the entire created universe.

So, the Sun, stars, and earth were all created at the beginning of day 1.

Any questions or if there is still puzzlement by my miscon friends please don't hesitate to address them.

8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Banned

So the 4th day the Earth was covered in a thick layer of clouds that let NO light through?

Okay.....and when He create plants?

9. Mitt Ryan

No, on the 1st day the earth was covered in a thick layer of clouds but God had cleared up some clouds to let light through coming from the sun.

On the third day God created plants and vegetation with the sun shining down on them.

On the 4th day God cleared up all the clouds and so the sun and the moon was now visible in the day and night respectively on the entire earth.

10. Mitt Ryan

Quote Posted by Stagnant:

Atheism is inherently without moral structure. Just like theism.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You got the first part right but not the second part.

11. GraspingforPeace

Uh... Then how do you explain this?

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

12. Mitt Ryan

I already explained it entirely to you and you still don't understand it?...lol

Go back and read my posts very carefully and slowly, then I'm sure you will finally get it. I'm on to other questions, your question has been answered and I don't like to dwell on questions that have been answered adequately.

13. GraspingforPeace

You said the sun was created on the first day, as were the stars. Remember? You literally just typed this :"So what does the heavens consist of?...The heavens consists of stars, galaxies, etc. Actually, the Hebrew phrase translated "heavens and earth" refer to the entire created universe. "

Genesis 1:14-19 completely refutes what you just said. Not only does it say that God created the sun and the moon on the fourth day, it specifically mentions that he also created stars on the fourth day.

Once again: "14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day."

So, sorry buddy, you're wrong. You can't even get the damn opening of your theology right. And no (*)(*)(*)(*) you don't like to dwell on the questions, because you're wrong about almost everything you've said in these threads and I have constantly had to correct you. The Bible says you're wrong, get over it.

14. Woody

Woody New Member

Not! The Sun was created Day4 you better look at your Bible agian.

Genesis 1-11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. 13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

Genesis 1-14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

The sun is created to mark seasons, days, and years. How did or were any literal days marked before the existence of the sun? Not so much as one literal day could have existed or gone by before the existence of the sun, which according to the same chapter was created (or made) to mark days.

But yet 3 literal days pass before the Sun is created. Bogus story there fellow they should this edit to make sense. Plants and trees created Day 3 WTH!

Genesis 1-3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

This is bogus to. You cannot split light and dark yet its done twice.

Here we have some very major problems starting with the very first "evening and morning" of the first day of creation. Now what evidence is there to support this idea that the earth existed before the sun? The Bible itself creates this error by having days going by before days can be marked / calculated.

What source? Light from a Creator? This creation crap was shot down the minute it was discovered that the Sun was the center of the universe.

15. Mitt Ryan

Quote Posted by Stagnant:

See, even this is not necessarily true. I see a lot of "christian morality" present among myself and other atheists - not killing, not stealing, being good people. Of course, the fact is that most of this morality predates Christianity, but let's not get hung up on that, eh?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are still a sinner like everyone else. Haven't you lied? How about committing sinful sexual acts? But the greatest sin that you and other atheist commit is the sin of not believing in God. That is an unpardonable sin, all other sins can be forgiven except the sin of not believing in God.

I mean you could ask God to forgive sins like stealing, lying, etc. but how could you ask Him to forgive you because you don't believe in Him...that in itself doesn't make sense, because if you don't believe in Him then it doesn't even make sense for you to ask Him to forgive you and that is why the sin of not believing in Him is an unpardonable sin.

16. GraspingforPeace

It's useless, he closed his mind to the question already because he knows the jig is up. Scripture explicitly refutes everything he just tried to explain as a "misconception".

17. Mitt Ryan

Nope, you're wrong. The sun was created on day 1 and not on day 4. You are misinterpreting the bible because you are a miscon (atheist).

18. GraspingforPeace

Genesis 1:14-19 says you're wrong, explicitly.

You - stars were created on the first day
    Genesis 1:14-19 - stars were created on the fourth day

You're wrong.

19. Woody

Woody New Member

Can you read!

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

I am not misinterpreting nothing. It's right there in your book and it has not got a DAMN thing to do with being ATHEISTS.....

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

It's impossible for it to have happened the way the Bible describes.....they did not know any better and the writer whoever he was had no idea the earth rotated around the SUN!

20. Mitt Ryan

Quote Posted by Questerr:

I draw my moral line at objective harm. However I have my own values (which are entirely subjective and things that I wouldn't want enforced on others) and I find sexual promiscuity to be reprehensible. I also have my own tastes and I think male on male homosexual sex is gross, but likewise I would take no action to stop gays from having that freedom.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God gave everyone "free will" to do what is right or wrong. So no one has the right to stop gays from the choices they make. We can only tell them it is wrong what they do but we can't stop them.

It is their free will to choose to do wrong when they engage in their homosexual deviant activities.

21. GraspingforPeace

Yes, move on because you were so right with your last response.

/s

22. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Can one ever be wrong in one's mind if everything they believe is 100% correct? No matter how foolish the claim is? I say no!

23. Woody

Woody New Member

Thats the reason you don't debate them with an open mind since theirs is already closed to reason and common sense....He denied whats right in front of him out of his very own book of fairytales.......

24. WanRen

WanRen New Member Past Donor

That is why it was a mistake, the Canaanite had all wrong just like the many pagans who thought that there are many gods, each with their respective abilities and responsibilities others have gods in nature form elemental form and an "El" suppossed to be the supreme god of all gods.

The reality is God is One and He is the Son in human or flesh form as Jesus Christ, in Spirit as the Holy Spirit and the Almighty God, Three in One not Three different. Men's understanding is very limited just like the more we learn about the universe the more we don't know.

The most simple example of three in one is; you or I, we can be a father to our kids, a carpenter in profession and a football player during weekends it does not mean there are three different us we are still us in one person.

God did use the "I AM" , He is the only One God "I am the Lord your God thou shall not have strange gods before me". At the same time when He uses "us" He is not refering to us as many gods but He is refering to His Trinitarian aspect "create man in our image" what is that image; 1. spirit 2. body 3. mind

25. Mitt Ryan

Quote Posted by The Wyrd of Gawd:

The God that Moses was talking to was the Assyrian or Babylonian emperor who was at war with Egypt. There was no invisible sky God in the area.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, you are wrong. Moses spoke to Almighty God, the Creator of the universe and all existence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.