Bullying — Risk Factors

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by indago, Mar 28, 2013.

1. indago

indago Active Member

There is a move in this country examining into bullying, and its effects. One of the factors is:
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Generally, children who are bullied have one or more of the following risk factors: Are perceived as different from their peers

article

From Michigan Public Media 5 October 2012:
    Governor Rick Snyder has signed legislation that requires every schoolroom to display a U.S. flag, and give children the opportunity to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. ...The new law says time must be set aside for the pledge in every public school classroom every school day. But students don’t have to say the pledge if they or their parents object.

article

Now, there's an invitation to bullying if ever there was. Instead of removing risk factors for bullying, the legislatures and school systems are inviting these risks.

2. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Exactly how would this incite bullying?

3. CRUE CAB

CRUE CAB New Member

Teach your kids to take no sh1t and you wont have bullying.
    Once a bully gets his nose bloodied, its all over and no one will screw around with you again.

4. Hummingbird

Absolutely. I told my kids 'I better not ever find out you started a fight, but you have every right to finish one'...... which my son did.

5. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

Jeez what kind of (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) bullies did you go to school with? If you didn't beat them down and stomp on them while they were there, to the point that every time they heard your name they would flinch, the bullying would continue when I went to school.

6. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

My son turned in his Jujitsu tournament performances video for his class talent project. He is already really stout at age 10. He is already bully proof, but now they understand the difference between their TKD silliness and the fight that he brings. He also takes Muay Thai two days a week. He has been informed that his job is to stop bullies and he does the job well. Two bullies have been dispatched and everyone is happier.

This is an edited version of the tape to remove his last name.
    [video=youtube;6vez1NMhmy4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vez1NMhmy4[/video]

7. indago

indago Active Member

There are a few who would not recite the pledge, and, therefore, incite the taunts of those who do.

8. CRUE CAB

CRUE CAB New Member

Really? OK, sorry I didnt include beat them till thier spirit was gone and almost to thier last breath.
    Did you walk 10 miles to school, up hill both ways in the snow 365 days a year?

9. Hummingbird

I think saying or not saying the pledge would be the least of bullying problems....

The bullies focus on kids who are 'different', 'nerds', to small to fight back, the way they dress .... even the physically/mentally disabled...

A couple months back, there was a father & his 10 yr old son who mocked a young girl who had cerebral palsy and the way she walked w/her crutches....... how's that for a real, genuine low-life?

10. Hummingbird

Kudos to you, Surfer! And your son for taking this seriously - he'll do well in his life. More boys need dads like you to be there for them and encourage them on........

11. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

Growing up in all Catholic schools I know about respect and dignity.
    One dare not get smart with a Nun in Parochial school.
    There are practically No nuns teaching in our schools today.
    Our kids are the proof.Lack of discipline and morals.Catholic kids
    love to joke around and roughneck,join fraternities and drink beer
    in college.However Catholics are taught VIRTUE. That is of key
    importance.Displaying the flag is virtue.Because the flag represents
    Justice, a cardinal virtue.Reciting the Pledge of Allegiance is Virtue,
    or Prudence.To manage Americana.

12. dadoalex

dadoalex Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually, for the most part, he's right.

There are very few lone bullies out there. They tend to run in groups and when things go badly they tend to fight as a group.

I had mine in 5th grade. First he and then they. They got tired of it when I stopped fighting fair and started trying to injure them. A punch on the nose hurts but crushing a nutsack, a thumb to the eye, r ripping away several square inches of flesh by biting are memories people retain. They accused me of fighting like a "sissy" but, they left me alone.

13. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

We moved from Laramie Wyoming to the Bay Area when I was 8. Laramie kids in those days tended to be ranch or farm kids. First day of 3rd grade in California, one of my classmates and I were getting ready to eat lunch. He turned to me and said, "If Big Derrick wants part of your lunch, give it to him, otherwise he'll sock you in the face."

He did come over to the little kid side. He left with a 3" gash over his right eye, a bloody nose and a busted rib. I, of course, got a trip to the principal's office. When the principal went into the secretary's office to call my mother, the principal's chair and globe were being tossed out the window and down the hillside. I couldn't quite get his desk through the window.

My mother came up to get me. I certainly got scolded, but she convinced the principal that the Hostess cupcakes that Derrick tried to take from me were a once a month type treat.

I'm not saying that I never had to defend myself after that, but it usually took a new kid full of himself or a dumbass to take a swing at me..

14. Hummingbird

I know Wyoming is cowboy country, but .... uhhh......LOL! Of course, you're joking about the chair and globe?

15. indago

indago Active Member

The legislators should have left well enough alone. We rejected the notion: "Hail to the King." Why should we now embrace: "Hail to the United States"? The legislators can now focus their attention on legislation that would place a statue of Jesus in the classrooms, and legislate a time to be set aside so that those students who want to can worship this statue. Of course, those who don't want to won't have to.

16. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

No. I'm not. My mother still talks about that incident. Thankfully my fourth grade teacher took me under her wing. My grades went from Cs and the occasional D to As and the occasional B. I also became less concerned with other kid's attitudes towards me and really had to be pushed to resort to angry outbursts after that.

Sometimes all it takes is one teacher to change a person's outlook. Don't get me wrong, I was well-behaved at home and among friends. I just had a short-fuse when I was that young.

17. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

Nope just somebody in 5th grade who got beat up by 3rd graders due to my size. Once I realized size doesn't matter, and put a few of the 6th graders in the hospital when I was in 6th grade, that stopped, until we moved to a new school and then the process had to be done all over again. Bullies are punks, that need to get some of their own medicine to change.

18. Really People?

Really People? New Member

How in the world would this cause bullying?

That said, more kids need to be taught not to take (*)(*)(*)(*) from bullies...

We were taught that when I was a kid, at least most of us...

I taught my son to follow a few rules with regard to stuff like this...

1. I better not ever find out you started a fight... If you do, whether you win or lose, you're gonna lose when you get home.

2. Never let anyone put their hands on you.

3. If someone starts a fight with you, and you defend yourself, you will face no further consequences when you get home.

4. If someone starts a fight with you, and, you don't defend yourself, you will be in a ton of trouble when you get home.

Nowadays, kids don't defend themselves and let bullies beat up on them...

I don't know why...

(*)(*)(*)(*) that...

As a youngster, the rule of thumb for me was that if someone wants to try you, make an example out of them...

This lessens the chance for repeat occurences...

19. Silhouette

Silhouette New Member

Oh, sorry. I thought this was a thread about what gay-activists are doing to the Pope, Ed Schultz, Congresspeople, our President, the owner of Chic-Fil-A, the entire voting public of California [Prop 8] for having opposing opinions to anything-gay, anywhere, anytime.

That type of bullying and blackmail isn't part of this discussion apparently.

20. myview

myview Well-Known Member

That's what my dad told me. One time I was suspended for fighting and after my father got all the facts I was not in trouble with him. In fact he made the principal apologize for some of the things he said to me. I was still out of school for 3 days but I was cool with that.

21. iJoeTime

iJoeTime Banned

Since everyone else is crowing about what bad-asses they were in 3rd grade, I will actually address the topic. The OP is correct in insinuating that this rule just creates another conflict point which could result in bullying. Lets not forget the history of the pledge and if I remember correctly, in the 1940's jehovahs witnesses were targeted because they refused to recite the pledge in schools. Although back then it was not 'optional', this new ruling creates a similar situation in that those who refuse to say it can now be singled out. Not to mention, nowadays the pledge is even more controversial due to the adding of the phrase "Under God" in the 50's. Personally, I don't understand the point of the pledge. Why must we pledge our allegiance to the state? That seems awful communist like. Not to mention the governmental endorsement of religion. There are so many better ways to express patriotism then a pledge, they should pursue those and drop this requirement.

- - - Updated - - -

Since everyone else is crowing about what bad-asses they were in 3rd grade, I will actually address the topic. The OP is correct in insinuating that this rule just creates another conflict point which could result in bullying. Lets not forget the history of the pledge and if I remember correctly, in the 1940's jehovahs witnesses were targeted because they refused to recite the pledge in schools. Although back then it was not 'optional', this new ruling creates a similar situation in that those who refuse to say it can now be singled out. Not to mention, nowadays the pledge is even more controversial due to the adding of the phrase "Under God" in the 50's. Personally, I don't understand the point of the pledge. Why must we pledge our allegiance to the state? That seems awful communist like. Not to mention the governmental endorsement of religion. There are so many better ways to express patriotism then a pledge, they should pursue those and drop this requirement.

22. indago

indago Active Member

comment

23. JoeSixpack

JoeSixpack New Member

I personally wouldn't want anybody to recite the pledge if they do not believe in their country or have a religious belief that conflicts with such a pledge, or anybody who just feels uncomfortable doing it, not a problem. Unfortunately this is the best way for a bunch of fanatics to identify nonconformists, and if this is what they are hoping for the bullying will be considered perfectly acceptable any way.