Announcement: In-Thread Warnings

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Dark Star, Jul 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star

Dark Star Senior Admin Staff Member Donor

From time to time, when a thread begins to deteriorate, we'll issue a general warning within the thread to everyone to step back a bit and get back to belaboring the topic instead of one another. We call this a "thread warning." Trouble is, when we just post the thread warning in the middle of the thread, nobody sees it anymore because the conversation has already moved on to the next page. So we're basically just shouting into the darkness.

We're going to do it a little differently from now on. Whenever we issue an in-thread warning, we're going to edit it right into the opening post of the thread, in red letters, and it will say "MOD EDIT..." and then the specific warning, also in red letters so that it'll be tough for anyone to miss. Then, we'll edit into the title of the thread an announcement that there's a thread warning in the OP (opening post). It'll look something like this "MOD ALERT".

When you see the words "MOD ALERT" in the title of a thread, please read the OP of the thread before posting. From the point where the warning is time-stamped into the OP, everyone in the thread will be responsible for knowing what was in the warning, and abiding by it. After that edit is made, you own whatever you say. In most cases, that will be considered a final warning to everyone in the thread, and there will usually be no more warnings issued. We don't want to be jerks about this, but in many cases this is our last realistic option for keeping the thread open. We'd much rather find ways to get people to dial back the rhetoric and get back on topic than come in later and give half a dozen people infractions. Thanks for your cooperation!

2. Brtblutwo

Brtblutwo New Member

Having participitated in message boards for years, it is worth noting that most topics have been lost after 20 responses. Therefore, if possible, threads should be removed from the board after 40 responses, when most have deteriorated to personal attacks.

The topic can easily be addressed in a new thread, which will also be necessary to end after approximately 40 responses.

ButterBalls likes this.
  3. montra

montra New Member

Chickens!!!

4. Brtblutwo

Brtblutwo New Member

This thread fell off topic fast.

Aristophanes likes this.
  5. montra

montra New Member

I'm just glad that there is a sheriff in these here parts. Without them folks tend to take the law into their own hands.

Gorgeous George likes this.
  6. Brtblutwo

Brtblutwo New Member

Yes, it fell off topic really fast.

Gorgeous George likes this.
  7. NothingSacred

NothingSacred Active Member

I don't get why any threads should be stopped, ever, no matter what. Message boards are just recreation for the most part, and when threads get into high numbers of posts and even if people are just insulting each other, the reason they keep at it is they are HAVING FUN and enjoying the exchange, no matter how ugly, so why stop it? let the FUN continue unchecked, what does it matter?

Irie, S L H and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Brtblutwo

Brtblutwo New Member

Let them insult each other and then get rid of the thread after 20 or 30 posts. If the thread topic was worth while, it will be back.

9. Dark Star

Because that's not what we're here for. If all people want to do is insult each other, there are websites that are just for that. This one is for people who want to have civil discussions. Threads that are full of insults aren't fun for them. Those people are our constituency, and we're dedicated to making this website the best it can be for that group of people.

Aristophanes, MJ Davies, 557 and 2 others like this.
  10. AuntiE

AuntiE New Member

Thank you. I am new this site, so have not yet encountered such behavior. I have on other sites seen behavior deteriorate to an appalling level. Whether an individual is right or wrong denigrating insults add not to the discussion. :clapping:

11. Dark Star

I take it you haven't blundered into the Zimmerman forum yet, then!

It's definitely not as bad here as it is on many other sites, but we can do better. We're working on getting it thinned out. Welcome to the site, and we hope you like it here!

12. LoneLaugher

LoneLaugher New Member

I applaud the intent. Having civil discussions is much better than going through back and forth insults.

However, please be careful not to do so at the expense of timely wit.

If a person decides that it is appropriate to compare the behavior of young black men to that of zoo animals, I think it is entirely appropriate to infer that said poster is imitating an ass.

Also, when a member's forum name is "Libhater", what is the expectation of civility when said member joins the discussion?

13. ManifestDestiny

ManifestDestiny Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, sometimes some people genuinely deserve to be insulted. I think the best way though is to make your point without insulting them than at the very last sentence, bring in a insult or two.

14. Oldyoungin

Oldyoungin Well-Known Member

I think what is considered and insult or not needs to be more standard among all mods . Just my opinion.

15. banchie

banchie New Member

I made a post yesterday about a current issue of an execution. So my post might have been moved somewhere.

My point wasn't the newsworthyness of the execution. It was about How I would handle justice in executions. So was it removed because I suggested torture?

Just trying to figure out where the post went and why.................thks

16. Troianii

Troianii Well-Known Member Past Donor

What's that Monty Python sketch? "I didn't come here for abuse! I came here for an argument!"

17. hudson1955

hudson1955 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Totally understand as often the posts "stray" from the original thread topic and often I attempt to get it back on track. Sometimes I am forced to just start a new thread on the subject. Hope that is o.k.

18. conhog

conhog Banned

Personally I'd prefer to see at least an occasional enforcement of Rule 10.

19. Red State

Red State New Member

That would get someone like you banned (if) you're the one I know from elsewhere cuz you certainly knew NOTHING of fact (except for the FACTS as YOU saw them) and not what was literal fact.

20. Ray9

Ray9 Well-Known Member

I just got out of the shower and am naked reading this. Am I in trouble?

21. birddog

birddog New Member

It depends. Can you post pictures for the moderators? The moderators are sensitive around here, so it would depend on how they like the pictures I suppose. :roflol:

22. Riot

Riot New Member

I love ice cream
    What's your favorite

23. birddog

birddog New Member

If it's home made, and it's done correctly, you can't beat good old vanilla! Plus, you can add toppings if you wish.

24. Riot

Riot New Member

Was moving off topic to test the mods new system. Lol. Fail!

25. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

I much prefer in-thread warnings to mods picking & choosing which smartmouths to zap... naturally.

Haven't seen one used lately. Wonder if they still do that? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.