Fast Food workers declare minimum wage "unlivable"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AndrogynousMale, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrogynousMale

AndrogynousMale Active Member

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/29/s...-cities-will-be-hit-by-the-fast-food-walkout/

This is seriously pathetic, but I can't help but laugh. I'm single and I can live comfortably off of minimum wage, so what are these people complaining about?

My only theory is that they're upset about hours being cut, but we all know the culprit behind that, and it's not the restaurant owners. In the job interview I had last week, the manager flat out told me that full time work is unavailable due to Obamacare being implemented next year.

But I wouldn't expect these "protesters" to understand that. Hopefully they get fired and someone who's actually desperate to work can fill in for them.

2. leftysergeant

leftysergeant New Member

Nothing like a bunch of capitalist babies throwing a tantrum and sabotaging the economy to get their way.

3. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Most people can't live on minimum wage. But flipping hamburgers or washing dishes was not meant to be a living wage job. Those are jobs to help supplement a family income, or give a school kid extra money.

4. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

100322healthcare500.jpg

Here's some people who aren't looking for full time jobs and have no healthcare worries, shortly after sticking a wrench into the economy. They think they did something good lol. Enjoy the 30 hours or less America, and thank Nancy and the gang for bringing it to you.

5. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

[​IMG]

6. AndrogynousMale

AndrogynousMale Active Member

Something else I find ridiculous is that they want double their wages. Don't these people realize their actions only hurt themselves if they raise the living wage at these stores, causing them to hire less people or shut down entirely?

7. RichT2705

Yeah, 15 bucks an hour to put cheese on a patty isn't going to happen. If they have to charge 7.00-8.00 for a combo when they're employees are making 7+ an hour....doubling the employee cost is going to impact their food prices. Would cripple a lot of their business. I for one wouldn't pay 10-12 bucks or more for that same combo.

8. Bow To The Robots

Bow To The Robots Banned at Members Request

Well, duh.

9. Marine1

Marine1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why pay $7.00-$8.00 for a cheese burger and coke when for $9.00 you can have a turkey, or beef dinner at a restaurant? It would put many fast food joints out of business. As it is, Obama care is going to cut hours and raise prices.

10. RichT2705

Well couple reasons for me. Usually if I step out for a lunch break at all, I have to be fast...so no time for an actual restaurant sit down lunch. And of course the other reason being...I simply love cheeseburgers...with bacon preferably. :)

11. Leffe

Leffe New Member

"Weren't meant", yet because your tech corporations want to maximise their profits for their shareholders (off shoring non-mimimum wage work) , these Mc-Jobs are no longer for school kids.

12. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Low income Obama voters should try getting an education or learning to speak English if they want better jobs with higher pay.

13. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Perhaps the little girl shouldn't have invaded Afganistan and Iraq? She looks so sweet but is despicably evil.

14. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Or perhaps McDonalds could simply accept making less profit, but acting more ethically?

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/22/business/la-fi-mcdonalds-earnings-20130723

Apparently Wall Street was still disapointed... the poor little things!

15. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

That is a contributing factor.

So is the welfare system that pays other little girls money to sit at home making more lazy little girls and boys who demand more welfare.

16. cupid dave

cupid dave Well-Known Member

The wage for a working member of our society should be compared to the average costs for housing, Health Insurance, Transportation, Food, Clotjing, etc.

Consider that in most metropolitan East Coast cities, rent is approximately $1000/mo.
    In previous generations, rent was always consider to represent 1/4th of the gross pay check for a working person.

This suggests that the Minimum Wage should be set at a limit which will reasonably allow advancement to such a wage after experience and time passes.
    The present Minimum Wage does not do this.

17. mikezila

mikezila New Member

as it is now, the sit down restaurant i patronize is only a $1 and some change more than the McDonald's accross the street...with the tip!

the food more closely resembles food too!

18. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Of course the irony is that:

1. Reducing the cost of fast food increases the need for healthcare.

2. Increasing the amount of home cooked meals (turkey, or beef dinners in your example), would reduce the need for healthcare.

19. mikezila

mikezila New Member

McDonalds makes it's money off renting out the name and location to the franchise...and the franchise remodels it for them. it's a nice scam, but they aren't paying the workers in more ways than you're thinking.

20. Leffe

Leffe New Member

You could just bring sandwiches and salad, some nuts and fruit etc... like many of us do each and every day....

Please stop pretending that the only option is fast food, it's the last and worst option for me, that I use once a year... and there's a McD's around the corner!

21. RichT2705

Or..perhaps these workers could accept some reality and strive for better? They didn't get Mc-Kidnapped and forced to work there. they sought out and accepted the job. Climb out of your fantasy world Leffe. Slapping a patty on the grill until you hear the beep is simply not worth much more than what they're getting.

It's a low skill job, with a low rate of pay as the product is selling for small dollars.

22. mikezila

mikezila New Member

now you're attacking little girls? stay classy! :roll:

23. Leffe

Leffe New Member

That's a gross exaggeration. I agree there are many (way too many) over claimants, but this extends to companies subcontracting to governments also.

But all conservatives focus on is the complete removal of any form of welfare support, while conveniently ignoring MIC and corporate rip off's of tax payer monies.

24. RichT2705

I do plenty of that already thank you, but there are times I step out for lunch, and I need to be quickly back to the office. 30-mins or less. Fast food IS the only option. No time to sit around for an hour or two enjoying my lunch in fairytale land.

When you have 30 mins or less, and didn't bring something..it pretty much IS the only option.

25. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Effectively they did, when Wall Street went nuts and started expecting results and growth which inherently necessitate low worker pay. Even middle class pay has been fronzen in the US since the late 60's because of this.

Apple makes 76% profit on iPhones, it would make 46% if manufactured in the US (making it still the most profitable phone of the market), buit it chose not to.

What jobs do you have the chance of? What career? Your companies sold out.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a grip of yourself!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.