The All Dallas Cowboys Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by sec, Sep 9, 2013.

1. sec

sec Well-Known Member

Preface: I am not a Cowboys fan however I make it a point to follow them. For some reason, it's akin to not being able to pull your eyes away from a train wreck.

6 take-aways and they still almost found a way to lose to the football Giants. I don't understand the love for Romo.

I'm no huge Kyle Orton fan but pulllease, put him in.

2. djlunacee

djlunacee New Member

As a life long Cowboys fan (my first words were Staubach and Dorsett) I have seen ups and downs, lived through Danny White, Quentin Carter, and so on. I have also Basked in the glory of Staubach, Dorsett, Aikman, Smith, Irvin and so on. I do not understand the love affair with Romo either. Jerry Jones has a man crush on this guy why else would you give a contract like that? I think what happened with Romo is he came in mid season and no one had seen him play, then once film became circulated on him he was exposed. He is not an elite or even top tier quarterback, yet the game design would suggest so. The Cowboys inability to adapt to game styles is pathetic. I am really hoping that moving back to the 4-3 which is more suited to our personnel will keep Lee healthy enough to play a whole season (he is an impact player) and will free Ware up to be more effective in the running game. The secondary has been shored up. And I think if we can get our defense to play a full 60 minutes, we can be in every game. That being said, there is still the problem of Tony Romo, unfortunately, he is an absolute failure when it comes to decision making...I mean pitiful, he doesn't understand situational football. We've got a top 5 wideout, a Hall of Fame tight end, and a very versatile, yet fragile running back...the talent is there, unfortunately the guy who is supposed to be the leader is an absolute joke. I can see another 9-7/8-8 year. Really sad as the talent and coordinaters would suggest a playoff team. At the end of the day, the lack of leadership from the front office, to the head coach to the qb will be the demise of this team yet again. I have always said about Romo, he doesn't find ways to win, he figures out ways to lose, and that you can take to the bank.

3. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Nice...

I'll be glad to chime in with a few positives to even out the negatives. :)

One reason people like Romo is because he's a genuinely nice guy. Yeah, nice doesn't win football games, but in the event the 'boys do well this year, I'll be here to gloat! (In case they don't, I'll still be here to root 'em on!)

GO COWBOYS!!!

4. nom de plume

nom de plume New Member

The Giants were complacent and not prepared for that one -- they understandably assumed it would be a simple walk in the park.

The Cowboys are not fun to watch, but they are funny to watch. Pretty good live reality sitcom.

If the Cowboys want to divest themselves of their rodeo clown image, they're gonna have to hire Tim Tebow.

5. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I could not have said that better

6. sec

sec Well-Known Member

really? Team Andy will find a way to beat the Cowboys this weekend and the Pack is gonna stop RG3. Who wudda thunk but the Eagles are going to be 2-0, the Boys 1-1, and the football Giants 0-2 after Peyton cleans up the field with them. I can't wait to see cameras zoom in on that weasel Coughlin as his team is being spanked by big brother.

So, boy Romo will be at 1-1 and had best make a gut check. THere is good talent on the Cowboys but then there's Romo

7. Smartmouthwoman

Time will tell, dear. ;)

[​IMG]

8. Smartmouthwoman

*sigh*

Maybe next week.

:(

9. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Romo's decision making skills were on display. Great decision on the second to last play.

10. Smartmouthwoman

He's gonna be a daddy again. Maybe he was distracted. ;)

11. Think for myself

Promo is just good enough to keep the Cowboys out of the playoffs every year. The dude can not manage a game if his life depended on it.

12. Smartmouthwoman

Yeah buddy... let's kick him while he's down.

13. Think for myself

Oh, was I supposed to provide gentler words of encouragement? Give him a trophy just for showing up? Maybe a hug and then some butterfly kisses?

He absolutely sucks. When he was down by less than a field goal, with 15 seconds left in the game, and he is on his own 3 yard line, the idiot throws a 3 yard pass into the middle of the field, ensuring that his team woudl lose the game.

That is the work of a guy that has not a clue about how to play quarterback. That was (*)(*)(*)(*)ty game management.

14. Smartmouthwoman

It was a one point game. Save your rampage for a more deserving performance. .

15. Think for myself

Indeed, a one point game against a mediocre team and Romo managed to make sure his team lost with a sub rookie mistake.

16. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I'm an equal opportunity kicker whether he's up or down. He is not a top tier QB despite what the talking heads keep saying about him. The "boys" have talent on the team, they just need a leader on the field

17. Smartmouthwoman

One man does not a winning team make. They could give him a lil protection... that might help.

18. djlunacee

djlunacee New Member

I really hope this was an attempt at sarcasm, otherwise it is a pitiful display of football knowledge. Giants complacent? After yesterday's performance looks more like overrated. a sit com? We will see. Like it or not the cowboys are still one of the top franchises in NFL history.

19. djlunacee

djlunacee New Member

Contrary to what you think about KC, they are far from mediocre. Don't let last years record fool you. Andy Reid is a HOF coach, Jamaal Charles is a pro bowl running back when healthy and Dwayne Bowe is an absolute beast, and now with veteran Alex smith running the offense and a solid defense on the other side of the ball, they are playoff contenders in a relatively weak AFC.

20. sec

sec Well-Known Member

no doubt

I can't imagine how he could even focus in Philly. KC might be the fresh start he needs personally and professionally.

KC has a decent O line and Smith is an OK QB. What Andy Reid gives to the Chiefs is akin to when Warren Buffett invests in a company; it's like giving credibility to the team/company. It should help the morale and attitude of the Chiefs which many times goes a lot further than pure talent.

Look to the Cowboys if you want to see wasted talent.

21. djlunacee

djlunacee New Member

The issues with the Cowboys go back to a moment in time when an excited overjoyed blowhard decided to run his mouth and cost Dallas one of the best footballl minds ever. Jerry Jones foolish pride and desire for the spotlight made him utter the statement that "we would have won those superbowls without Jimmy Johnson, was foolish, and the beginning of our downfall. I know you can't really say for sure, but at the time this was happening, I have no doubt in my mind that Jimmy would have won at least 2-3 more including Switzer's. His penchant for putting players in situations to succeed was unbelievable. Make no mistake about it, the Cowboys are bad for 2 reasons. Jerry Jones, and Tony Romo.

22. sec

sec Well-Known Member

that is not just good advice for sports teams but for life in general. The worst thing you can do is task someone to do something for which they have no skills/experience/desires or personality ( we see that with our current POTUS). Some coaches can handle full top to bottom like Parcells, while others end up being better D or O coordinators.

Romo would be a good choice for a team with a dominant defense and dominant running game. But, most mediocre QB's would shine in that environment as well

23. djlunacee

djlunacee New Member

Tony Romo would have been more like Trent Dilfer under Jimmy Johnson, if he was even on the team to begin with. He isn't a Jimmy kind of player. There is no edge to him, and if anyone knows Jimmy Johnson and are familiar with the types of teams he likes to coach, all of his players from 1st string to last man on the bench had a chip on their shoulder. Unlike Romo who is more like Howdy Doody with Captain Kangaroo as the general manager/owner.

24. Shooterman

Shooterman New Member

Many more moons ago than I care to remember, after a friend of mind suggested I watch a game of the Oilers and then one of the Cowboys, I became a Cowboy fan. The Dallas Texans had migrated to Kansas City as the Chiefs, the Cowboys were fairly a new franchise, Tom Landry was the coach and a young brash fella by the name of Dandy Don Meredith had been drafted out of SMU. Also a fella by the name of Bullet Bob Hayes came on board and along with Bob Lilly became the heart of the team. Those were the days of struggle, and through it all, died in the wool fans suffered and pulled for The Boys. Landry crapped in Meredith's mess kit, Dandy hung it up, and the age of Roger the Dodger was upon us. With Hayes, Garrison, Hill, and a magnificent offensive line, along with the Doomsday Defense, they became a powerhouse. Schram hung it up, Jerry Jones was the new owner, got rid of Landry, and they've never been the same.

I quit watching Pro Football after the last big strike they had, watching instead a little college ball, and gravitating to Baseball as my sport of choice, mostly because my grandson was a pitcher. My wife is an Astro and Ranger lover, and I take them in stride.

When Pro Football players decided they didn't need me, I figured I don't need them. I do have fond memories of the old Cowboys, though, as I got a lot of joy watching them play.

25. djlunacee

djlunacee New Member

So, St. Louis at home....nice team, proven coach, think the boys are lokking at 1-2.